The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) You know what would be neat? If we had a shrink on here who could analyze all of our dreams. I think this one would be fascinating to have an analysis of.

Ever read books about dream analysis, Saved?

message 2: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Wow Fiona, write that down! :-)))) If you go on like that there is a small chance I will call you miss CSI!

message 3: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments :-)))

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 170 comments My recurring dream is that my teeth are falling out. I'm trying really hard to keep them in my mouth. This dream is totally realistic too. Okay, all you dream analyzers, what does this mean???

Petra in 4 days may have a bf fingers crossed (petra-x) SVG, this site of Christian dream interpretation might interest you: http://www.cwgministries.org/Principl...

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Here is one of my recent strange dreams:

My husband and I were invited to dinner at the apartment of one of my classmates in my evening American Experience class. Lydia and I became friends after a couple of interesting conversations about slavery. She is from somewhere in Africa, 26 yo, married to a white man 15 years her senior and is not yet a US citizen. Lydia resembles no one I know in real life, other than the fact I happened to be friends with a black girl named Lydia in the 6th grade. The classmate I'm friends with in real life is actually from Moldova, is married to a Columbian man 10 years her senior, and has two children.

So, back to the dream. Hubby and I stopped at the liquor store to pick up a bottle of red wine and drove to her apartment, which was in a lower middle-class neighborhood resembling somewhere in Bronx, NY, but was actually in a small town in northern New Hampshire. We walked up two flights of stairs and when we approached the top, rich cooking smells wafted out one of the apartment doors. "This must be the place", my hubby said. The door opened as soon as I raised my hand to knock and Lydia comes out, smiles, hugs and kisses all around. She then took the wine bottle and welcomed us to her dining room, where a lavish feast lay before us. There were various salads, some with rich creamy dressings and others with fragrant herbs and oils. There were tarantulas, fried and swimming in buttery sauce, antelope hot dogs, soups with various livers and gizzards floating inside, goat stew with baby potatoes, squirrels cooked in coconut milk, fried starfish on a stick, meat dumplings floating in black tea, you get the picture. For dessert - fruit salad, strawberry shortcake, key lime pie, chocolate cream pie, cheesecake, ice cream sundaes, rum cakes, marzipan, assorted fruit pies, eclairs.....nothing too unusual there.

Lydia invites us to sit at the dining room table. Her gruff, overweight, and balding husband helps himself, smiles at us with tobacco-stained teeth, and says "eat".

So we eat....and eat.....and eat......and eat.....and eat. My husband told Lydia to stop filling his plate, but she smiled and continued to do so. I said I couldn't eat any more, or I'd get sick, and her husband said "you're too skinny...a man likes a woman with a little meat on her bones". Then Lydia piled up my plate again.

At that point, I remember waking up rubbing my mildly upset stomach thinking I had put on all the 55 pounds I lost! Then I realized I had overslept and had only 20 minutes to get ready for work!

I really shouldn't watch Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern just before bedtime. lol!

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy This is such a fun topic. We shouldn't let it sink into obscurity.

Let's talk about our strange dreams!

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I haven't had any weird dreams lately. Maybe a late supper, a glass or two of red wine, and a disturbing movie will spur my subconscious to come up with something. :D

message 9: by Beth Ann (new)

Beth Ann (bagrover) When I was pregnant I had A LOT of dreams that I was a man, how weird is that? It made me think that I was maybe having a boy, but out came a beautiful little girl.

Lately I've been having some really wicked dreams because I've been on vicadin for an absessed tooth. It was always centered around the major pain in my mouth. I don't even know where to begin to describe them, they were just wicked and painful.

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I never had any ‘opposite sex’ dreams that I’m aware of, but this reminds me of a weird dream I had a few months ago. My husband and I were both Czech Jews living in Czechoslovakia during a war. Only it wasn’t World War I or II, and he wasn’t my husband in the dream. The military machines, cars and people were way too modern, even for today’s standards. So I’m assuming it was some time in the future. While hubby and I were escaping a burning building hit by explosives, a tank came rumbling by. Sticking out of the top it was a fluorescent green baseball cap. When we approached the tank, the owner of the hat (one of my co-workers) waved to us and asked if we had eaten lunch yet. I woke up not quite sure where I was and feeling very hungry.

message 11: by Nancy (last edited Jan 07, 2009 08:04AM) (new)

Nancy Thanks to Andrew Zimmern, two episodes of Heroes and a late supper, I had another weird dream last night.

I was riding the subway on the way to see an old friend I knew when I was living in New York. All of a sudden the train stopped and I lurched forward, bumping into a woman with a large shopping bag full of giant clams. The bag broke, scattering shells all over the floor. A few passengers, including myself, managed to pick up most of the fallen shells. I tucked a few of them into my purse.

When I got off the subway, a Japanese man in an ill-fitting suit came running toward me. Gesturing wildly, he said in heavily accented English, "you must save the cheerleader".

"What cheerleader?", I asked.

"You must go now", he said. "Find Isaac, he will tell you how to save her."

The Japanese guy then runs off. Shrugging my shoulders, I hastily walked to my friend's apartment. Once I got there, I asked her if she knew anyone named Isaac.

"Sure", she says. "We just broke up last week. He said he couldn't stand my cooking. Go on up, he lives right upstairs."

So I ring the buzzer to Isaac's apartment and ask him if he knows a cheerleader. He said he was hungry and asked if I brought anything to eat. I reached into my purse and pulled out the giant clam shells I picked up on the subway.

While he steamed the clams, he boiled a mixture of butter, water, white wine, herbs and lemon juice.

I woke up before we could find the cheerleader.

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Lately I've had lots of strange dreams I could remember only bits and pieces of. Sometimes I feel disappointed that I couldn't remember them all and other times I think maybe it was a good thing.

Heroes is such a good show!