Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

General Discussions > Going somewhere?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,131 (1131 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

message 1: by Ireney (new)

Ireney Berezniak I'm off to Caribbean for a week of lounging in the sun.

Initially, I planned to take A Place Called Armageddon with me to supply me with reading entertainment, but I could not find it in a Kindle format. The hefty hardcover arrived in the mail, but I will not be lugging it with me, no sir! Instead, based on some discussions we've had, I loaded up J.R. Tomlin's Freedom's Sword, and Bernard Cornwell's Azincourt.

I've already started Freedom's Sword, and the read has been going smoothly. It is not a "thick" title, coming in at just over 200 pages, so I expected I will be moving on to Azincourt shortly.

See you guys in a week!

ib.

message 2: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments happy holidays! happy holiday reading!
Don't forget the sunscreen. :)

See you when you get back.

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Enjoy.

message 4: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Tomlin (jrtomlin) Ireney wrote: "I'm off to Caribbean for a week of lounging in the sun.

Initially, I planned to take A Place Called Armageddon with me to supply me with reading entertainment, but I could not fi..."
I know historical novels are supposed to be door stoppers, but I like breaking patterns. ;)

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Seeing as we have this nicely started discussion, I would like to say that I'm heading to Vegas for an extra long weekend and I'll see you all next week.

I am taking Shield of Thunder (Troy, #2) by David Gemmell Shield of Thunder and Troy Fall of Kings (Troy, #3) by David Gemmell Troy: Fall of Kings with me for some good reading on the plane, I'll let you all know how they were when I'm back. :)

Merry Christmas

message 6: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) Have a good time in Vegas Dawn! Merry Christmas.

message 7: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Enjoy Vegas dawn. Don't bet the house!

And enjoy Gemmell too. Speak to you when you get back. Merry Christmas. :)

message 8: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments To all members,
I suppose I should explain the purpose of this thread..

If you are going somewhere on holidays or for work. Let us know.
Off to the Sahara to ride a camel with a sheik? Off to Hawaii to catch that 30 foot swell at Jaws, Maui? Off for a trip on the Orient Express? taking the fam to Disneyland?
Share your trips with us.

Or are you simply going to be MIA from the group for a while and want to let your fellow members know you won't be around for a bit.

Whatever it is, if you are going somewhere, this is the thread to let us know. :)

message 9: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments A couple of our regular members will be away for a while so if you notice their absence this is why.

Lee is off the grid for an archaeological project for a month or more. Lucky boy.

Dawn is off for the month of May to Europe. Lucky girl.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I knew I forgot to write somewhere that I was going away. :)

Pretty sure I forgot to change my voicemail at work too.

message 11: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Dawn wrote: ". :)

Pretty sure I forgot to change my voicemail at work too."

lol. :)

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Went up to Whistler, BC on Saturday. We took the Rocky Mountaineer train from North Vancouver, http://www.rockymountaineer.com/en_CA...

So odd doing something touristy where you live. Great views, awesome staff and Whistler is really nice.....should have done this sooner. :)

[image error]

[image error]

message 13: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Awesome. It sure is beautiful country over there.
Thanks for sharing the photos, Dawn.

message 14: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Awesome. It sure is beautiful country over there.
Thanks for sharing the photos, Dawn.

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Anytime......I do love my little corner of the country. :D

message 16: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jun 04, 2012 07:07PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I know why. :) I have always been drawn to the Canada and Alaska countryside.

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Alaska is one of the places I want to go, wild outdoors and icebergs. So much of Canada to see still too, I've never made it past Montreal, I still want to see atlantic Canada. Either I need alot of time to drive there or alot of money to fly there, bloody great big country. :)

I need both time and money to get to australia though.... :)

message 18: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Yes, Australia awaits! :D

I have always wanted to visit Canada. My grandparents went there for Expo. I found all their brochures from the trip when I was little and used to keep them in a shoe box. I used to drag them out often and look at the pictures over and over. I even cut some of the pictures out and glued them to the shoe box lid. So I've probably wanted to go to Canada longer than I've wanted to go any other country. :-)

message 19: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jun 04, 2012 08:54PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I looked it up. It was Expo 67 that they went to. I wasn't even born. I found all their brochures from travelling all over Canada when they were cleaning out the garage. I took them because this country 'Canada' looked exotic to me. A simple little girl from the bush.. I was very young.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah..... Canadian rockies... Near Calgary... I saw a photo once, looking out the window of a hotel along a vista of mountains with dark pines marching up the slopes. One day I'll go there...

I was at Expo 67. Can't remember much, but it was nifty, I recall.

message 21: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I went to Expo 88 which was here in my State, in our capital city, Brisbane. It was a huge deal and great fun.

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments '67 was in Montreal. Beautiful city.

I went to Expo 86, it was here in vancouver. I love the rockies, I'm on the other side from Calgary, which is better........ :)

[image error]

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Well, at least I can say I've been to Oregon about a dozen times. One of the most beautiful ocean coastlines, I have another trip there planned for October. :)

And while I've been to Saskatchewan I didn't know anyone went there for vacation. I just happen to have family there.

message 24: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I've been to Canada once but remember very little, it was while in high school.

My hubby and I will be going to New Orleans next week for 3 nights. It's a business trip for him and I get to tag along. :) we've always wanted to go there so I'm looking forward to it. Since it's a business trip though, we are booked in a hotel, not a quaint little B&B.

message 25: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Cool pics Dawn! Vacationing around your own area is strange...at first...but we often miss cool stuff while we're looking outside our comfort zone. Mark (my husband) is taking off the month of October and at first we were thinking about traveling but this time, I think we may just 'travel' our area.

message 26: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Thanks for the idea, although I'd probably wait and do something like that with my hubby...I'm not that bold. ;)

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Tasha wrote: "Cool pics Dawn! Vacationing around your own area is strange...at first...but we often miss cool stuff while we're looking outside our comfort zone. Mark (my husband) is taking off the month of Octo..."

I have seen alot of BC and Alberta on vacation. We spent a fair amount of time when I was young traveling close to home. And a fair amount of time visiting the US west coast too. Somehow the tourist train was just odd.... :)
I'm gonna be out your way in January, I'm looking forward to the east coast.........

Enjoy New Orleans, should be fun!

message 28: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Where are you going to be?

message 29: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments We're going to New York for New Years. One of those bucket list type things... :)

message 30: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Bucket List: all the things you want to do before you kick the bucket. From movie "The Bucket List".

message 31: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Isn't the movie The Bucket List named after the urban term The Bucket List? Chicken or the egg I guess. :-) I haven't seen The Bucket List, but I thought the term predated the movie.

message 32: by Tasha (last edited Jun 05, 2012 05:26PM) (new)

Tasha Dawn wrote: "We're going to New York for New Years. One of those bucket list type things... :)"

Great!

message 33: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Watch New York's ball drop. :-)

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Yep, that's the plan. :)

message 35: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Have a nice time Diana!

message 36: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Yes, have a nice time!

message 37: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Have a fantastic time Diana!

message 38: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "A couple of our regular members will be away for a while so if you notice their absence this is why.

Lee is off the grid for an archaeological project for a month or more. Lucky boy."

And again, through end of July through to the beginning of September.

message 39: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Stupid archaeological projects in foriegn countries with little or no internet. :(

message 40: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "Stupid archaeological projects in foriegn countries with little or no internet. :("

Yep, someone should sort out that internet thing.

Actually, no. I miss being able to talk to friends and family but it's also quite nice to be away from the world for a bit.

message 41: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Yes, not being wired into society for a couple months must be good for the soul.

message 42: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "Yes, not being wired into society for a couple months must be good for the soul."

Certainly helps to keep me sane and happy.

message 43: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I'm going to this this week
http://www.ekka.com.au/

I guess the Americans would call this a State Fair? We call them 'Shows' over here. This is our State's Royal Show.

message 44: by Tasha (new)

Tasha We have a Grange Fair coming up in a couple of weeks. It's a pretty big fair, but not sure it is as big as your fair, Terri.

Have fun!!

message 45: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I will. :) Been having fun there since I was little, and I hope to have fun there until I am too old and incapable of going.

message 46: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Bryan | 305 comments Oh, I went to St. Augustine (again, I go a lot) and found one of 2 exact replicas of the marble David. Hidden in a side courtyard at Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum. Carved from marble quarried from the same quarry as the original, commissioned work for a World's Fair. I'd had no idea it was there, I just stumbled onto it, looking for shade to finish my ice cream before going into Ripley's.

message 47: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Did you offer to buy him? :)

message 48: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Bryan | 305 comments No, I just tried to run away with him. He stood there like stone. LOL

message 49: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Haha. Too big for your handbag too. :D

message 50: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Bryan | 305 comments LOL His foot is too big for my handbag! I had a hard time wrapping my arms around his ankle!

I have two more trips planned! YAY! One to Martha's Vineyard. I've never been there, and am really looking forward to it. I have a friend staying there, he just found a winter job with a theatre company on island so we'll be househunting for a winter place. That will be fun!
He and I have also been working on his script together and are hoping to get a 2nd draft finished while I'm there. And if we manage that, to have a few actors over to read it to us. More fun!
That's the last week of August, I'll be home again in time for the long Labor Day weekend, traditional end of bbq & grilling season, except in FL where we grill whenever it's nice enough.

Then I'm going back to St. Augustine for Founder's Day Celebration, held Sept 8 this year. (They like to keep the celebration on the weekend for maximum attendance.) I just got an email forwarded to me inviting members of Los Floridanos to walk in the Procession and be introduced as the descendants of the founders. How exciting! I may have to make another attempt with David... LOL Or perhaps Ponce de Leon, except his pedestal is hard to climb. ;p

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23