Zero Day (John Puller, #1) Zero Day question

did we read the same book?
Rcpgpugh Rcpgpugh Nov 18, 2011 02:07PM
Did we read the same book? I just finished reading some of the reviews, and they surprised me. I just found it boring, and all over the place. I agree with one comment, "quantity over quality".

I didn't find this book boring at all, in fact it was the complete opposite. I was glued to the whole story and it had a very surprising ending. The ending is not what I expected at all. Why Drake WV, though? It was a small town that no one knew or cared about.

Rcpgpugh wrote: "Did we read the same book? I just finished reading some of the reviews, and they surprised me. I just found it boring, and all over the place. I agree with one comment, "quantity over quality"."

Agreed, I found the plot predictable, characters stereotypical, and the whole secrets agent on a mission stale. I guess its what many people want to read...sadly.

I found it to be a good read in keeping with other Baldacci's other novels. However, I must agree with some others here in that Sam's death came a quite a surprise. I had a feeling there might be an ongoing romantic relationship developing, but no -- things were not to be.

I didn't think the book was boring either. It was sad that the character Samantha Cole died. The John Puller character reminded me of the character of Jack Reacher.

M 25x33
Michael Rowland If you do, start with the first book - Killing Floor. Happy New Year.
Dec 30, 2012 09:26AM · flag

The book was an alright read with some predictable story aspects especially recognisable for those who have read more than a few Baldaccis.
The comparison with Reacher is fine with me, I have read a few books from Lee Child as well. And in my humble opinion there is enough space for Puller & Reacher.

I enjoyed it so much I've almost finished the entire series to date - just one more library book to go

Good read. I will try more from Baldacci.

Usually I love Baldacci's books and kept wanting to love this one but it was definitely lacking something. Towards the end I was just wanting the book to be finished. You can't hit a home-run every time. Hopefully his next books will be better.

deleted member Jul 24, 2012 01:06PM   0 votes
This was yet another great book by Baldacci, kept me engaged until the very end. I agree, it really got me when Cole died.

I have to admit it was similar to a Reacher book but nonetheless it was a good read. The writing style was good. The only bit I found unlikely was a man in prison for treason (brother or not) been the one to help on the phone. There would be loads of other experts to help.
Having read it would make me want to read another Baldacci book.

Rcpgpugh wrote: "Did we read the same book? I just finished reading some of the reviews, and they surprised me. I just found it boring, and all over the place. I agree with one comment, "quantity over quality"."

Agreed, it was very dull and not much happening. I'm thinking he may have ran out of ideas.

Found the character to be a copy of Jack Reacher. Is Baldacci Lee Child in disguise? Good read for a bus book.

I gave up at chapter 72 !Absolute Drag!

Angie (last edited Sep 17, 2012 06:11AM ) Sep 17, 2012 06:11AM   0 votes
I have a love-hate relationship with Baldacci. Some of his books I like alot- the Shaw series, the King and Maxwell series-- but others I think are awful. And this one was awful. Puller was a good character but that wasn't enough to quell my constant comparisons to Reacher (WWRD- what would Reacher do?). There can be only one Jack Reacher.

Gwen Goble-Bartzen I love the Camel Club!
Nov 11, 2013 07:13AM · flag

It was not a bad book but it just became very clumsy in the end..It could've been better..I'm yet to start Lee Child's novels so was focussed on Puller's character which was pretty convincing :)

Umm... Jack Reacher ?

Michael (last edited Sep 17, 2012 06:15AM ) Aug 22, 2012 12:31PM   -1 votes
I have to agree that the character was similar to Jack Reacher, and I thought killing off Cole was a bad idea.

Good Read; - Boyd Morrison novels. Similar to Andy McDermot.

If anyone wants to review MY 9/11 novel (download) I will gladly reimburse the cost.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/11-Official-C...

Michael