The Giver (The Giver, #1) The Giver question

Based on your understanding of "The Giver", do you think Lowry (the author) supports capital punishment?
Nancy Nancy Nov 18, 2011 08:53AM
Based on your understanding of "The Giver", do you think Lowry (the author) supports capital punishment?

I just finished this book and, no I don't think Lowry supports capital punishment. In the society the people suppress any actions that show emotion or individual thought. Lowry is criticizing the suppression and control by the elders. People need to be able to feel and to express their discontent

(spoilers) I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

It's been way too long since I've read this book but from what I remember, the whole point to killing people was to protect the citizens from feeling sad about death itself. My grandfather died 2 weeks ago and the pain was awful. But in the book though, elderly people are "released" or whatever they called it, so loved ones don't have to experience that kind of pain. "Capital punishment" is used as a tool to protect people from ever feeling negative emotions like that-which in theory sounds good-but death is a natural part of life, along with pain and grief. If you take away those emotions, we're barely human.

So anyways, it's suppose to be a dystopian society because the Elders(?) went to insane lengths to shelter their people from negativeness, but actually went full circle and ended up hurting them by taking away their humanity. I don't think it had anything to do with capital punishment, which is for actual criminals-and not as a tool from sheltering people from actual death.

haha sorry if that was all rambled. It's really late here.

deleted member (last edited Dec 08, 2011 10:54PM ) Nov 28, 2011 01:36AM   0 votes
No. From the way she portrays it in this novel, you can tell that she has a sour spot for it. This book isn't supposed to show what society should be like. In my opinion, it shows that a utopia can be a distopia at the same time. Although life in this novel seems lovely, if you dig hard beneath the surface, it's a terrible way to live life. But, that's just my opinion.

deleted user okay, my bad, but that doesn't change anything I've said. ...more
Nov 29, 2011 03:23PM · flag

deleted member Nov 27, 2011 04:05PM   0 votes
I think there is no punishment.

deleted user I know she is a woman.
Nov 28, 2011 06:39AM

I think there is a punishment because the people of Utopia are very accustomed to the society.

I'm not sure you can tell what an author believes based on what they wrote.