Terminalcoffee discussion

Food / Drink > Restaurant bread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Nov 17, 2011 06:40PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 24107 comments Mod
Do you eat restaurant bread, or do you let it lie uneaten? If I'm out to dinner with my family, we generally eat every last piece of bread before the food arrives. (Because, pick one: we're hungry, selfish, greedy, afraid that food will be snatched away from us, preparing for the apocalypse, have food issues, etc.)

What restaurant has the best bread? I like the restaurants where the bread comes with olive oil (usually seasoned) and you pour yourself a saucer of oil and just stuff your face.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Biaggi's has great bread.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Okay, I don't believe that this thread has 37 views after 2 minutes.

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments People really like bread, LG.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

That much?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Reminds me of some of the rolls at one of the hotels I stayed at in Rome. A nice hotel, I enjoyed it, but the rolls might as well have been stones.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lobstergirl wrote: "Reminds me of some of the rolls at one of the hotels I stayed at in Rome. A nice hotel, I enjoyed it, but the rolls might as well have been stones."

Rome, NY?

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Barb wrote: "I like the biscuits at Red Lobster ..."
Ditto.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Félix wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Reminds me of some of the rolls at one of the hotels I stayed at in Rome. A nice hotel, I enjoyed it, but the rolls might as well have been stones."

Rome, NY?"

No, the other one.

message 10: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Barb wrote: "I like the biscuits at Red Lobster ..."

ooh yes, and salad. That’s what I get every time I go to Red Lobster.

I also love the breadsticks and salad at Olive Garden. That’s all I’ll eat there.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I hate bread.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) I love the hard crusty sourdough bread you get at restaurants. Bread at Mimi's cafe is really good too.

message 13: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments I won't go near Red Lobster (shudder) so I can't speak to their bread. I had 1/2 piece of Olive Garden bread tonight & it was okay.

We usually eat up the bread wherever we go. Have you tried the bread loaf at Morton's Steakhouse? Wow! We always ask for an extra loaf to take home.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I always compare the bread in restaurants with the product a local Italian bakery made in my home town. It has yet to measure up. Hard and crusty on the outside, soft and heavenly within.

message 15: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3389 comments Ever think about bread from a restaurateur's point of view?

message 16: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I always eat the bread.

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I like to dip it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Myles wrote: "Olive Garden. When my sister and I go we go through two baskets before the food gets to the table."

Hell yes. I don't care how suburban shopping mall it sounds, I could eat fifty Olive Garden breadsticks in a row.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael Delicatessens are great for bringing out bread. There's only one here that does that and they bring out a nice assortment of stuff like marble rye, egg twist, something with olives in it and the leave-it-for-last multi-grain. To answer the question, I eat it and I never let it lie uneaten. I also like restaurants that serve popovers.

message 20: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Barb wrote: "I like the biscuits at Red Lobster ..."

I was so excited when I found a bread recipe that approximates Red Lobster biscuits. I make it all the time.

It's not the greatest restaurant ever, but Country Cookin' makes really great rolls and honey butter. I could make a meal of just the bread.

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) Félix wrote: "I always compare the bread in restaurants with the product a local Italian bakery made in my home town. It has yet to measure up. Hard and crusty on the outside, soft and heavenly within."

Sounds yummy!

message 22: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Sally wrote: "I hate bread."

Blaspheme!

message 23: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Sally, do not ever speak those words to me again or you will be dead to me.

I'm not a Red Lobster or Olive Garden fan, so I can't speak to the bread there, but I have loved most restaurant breads, and my family usually can empty a basket or two before the meal.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Jammies wrote: "I'm not a Red Lobster or Olive Garden fan"

Me neither. I'm not a fan of chain restaurants and walking into either one of those two places is like walking into a distorted time loop where everything and everyone looks the same and feels the same and tastes the same. And I really don't like Olive Garden because even though their salad dressing is good, their salad is made of iceberg lettuce.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sally wrote: "I hate bread."

I think that may be unhuman!

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments red lobster bread (garlic roll dealios) are delish. but carino's (used to be called johnny carino's?)has the best bread and dipping oil stuff anywhere. period.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I agree about Carino's bread, Kevin. They started in San Antonio and were called Johnny Carino's at first.

message 28: by Koeeoaddi (last edited Nov 18, 2011 02:09PM) (new)

Koeeoaddi (koee) I would crawl over cut glass for an honest to God Amoroso hoagie/cheesesteak roll, some genuine seeded Jewish rye bread (chewy crust, soft inside), a San Francisco sour dough baguette or a Philly soft pretzel, which, let's face it, is bread with salt.

ETA: ...and real bagels! [Where's Lori?]

message 29: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I'm not sure I've ever been to Red Lobster. I've been to Olive Garden once or twice but I don't remember the bread. The best local bread (with olive oil/parmesan dipping saucer) I've had was at Tucci Benucch, where I used to go every once in awhile but I see they're out of business.

message 30: by Cam (new)

Cam | 111 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Do you eat restaurant bread, or do you let it lie uneaten? If I'm out to dinner with my family, we generally eat every last piece of bread before the food arrives. (Because, pick one: we're hungr..."

If there's real butter, I'll eat the bread and for all the reasons you described.

message 31: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Michael wrote: "Jammies wrote: "I'm not a Red Lobster or Olive Garden fan"

Me neither. I'm not a fan of chain restaurants and walking into either one of those two places is like walking into a distorted time lo..."

Yes, iceberg lettuce is evil!

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Iceberg lettuce is not always evil. It's usually the best lettuce for sandwiches. Sometimes a romaine salad can be totally crappy. It just depends. Are they using outside leaves, or hearts? What's the texture? Does it have any flavor at all? I don't really see the point of a pile of mesclun on a plate if it has no taste whatsoever.

Sometimes a wedge of iceberg lettuce can be a good salad with bacon and bleu cheese dressing.

message 33: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3389 comments Add some sunflower seeds, and I'm in.

message 34: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I sometimes like iceberg lettuce, I grew up on radicchio, romaine and things like that, iceberg's like a treat for me. I agree LG, it's good on sandwiches.

To clarify- I like the bread and salad at both Red Lobster and Olive Garden, but nothing else.

message 35: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 488 comments I actually love iceberg lettuce. I know it's bizarre, and my family always makes fun of me cause I'm a bit of a "foodie" (that word always sounds weird to me) in other ways, but I dislike most salad greens (like mesclun mixes), but can always go for a chopped iceberg lettuce salad.

Also, yes on the bread. Crusty, chewy, soft, doughy... rolls, breadsticks, baguette... I will eat it all.

message 36: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 250 comments There is a local Greek restaurant in Omaha--Katie's--that brings warm, fresh pita bread to the table with you salad. Wonderful while waiting for your entree.

I like good, warm bread or rolls. I like marble rye when I can get it--not a lot of places have it.

message 37: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3389 comments I don't like sub sandwiches - too much bread for me. Publix has a 5-grain bread you can have sliced, and that's nice for sandwiches. I like them with lettuce and tomato and onions and swiss.

message 38: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I'm not crazy about subs either. As a general rule I don't like sub bread. Having said that, Subway's subs are often reasonably tasty, if you get the whole wheat and it has plenty of olive oil and vinegar on it.

I do NOT like Jimmy Johns' bread.

message 39: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I haven't been to O'Charlie's for quite a while -- but they used to have freshly-baked rolls that tasted like heaven-right-out-of-the-oven. The cinnamon/sugar butter they provided made it like desert.

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments BunWat wrote: "A good batard, that's what I like."

I can't tell if there's a typo in this sentence or not.

message 41: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3389 comments Thanks for the laugh, RA.

message 42: by Cyril (new)

Cyril OK I'll just say it: bastard.

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Bastard with mustard. French's mustard.

message 44: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Batard au moutard!

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Mais oui.

message 46: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Be careful not to get any grey poop on.

::groans::

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh monsieur ....

message 48: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Croque-monsieur.

message 49: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments I love Croques... I've never had one with that much cheese on it though!

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I want that now.

« previous 1