Dreamland Dreamland discussion

Your thoughts?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I know how much I loved this book and how much my friend didn't. So, what do you think?

I really enjoyed this book! It was a cliffhanger and beautifully written, dealimg with a reL-life issue.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked this book. I am probably younger then you are but this book was really good. I like books with cliff hangers because they leave you thinking about what is going to happen next. I agree that this was a beautifully written book. (It was the first book I read that had love in it.)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I do agree with yoy Sydney.

Marielle I loved this book so much was one of my all time favorites and that it was so different from all the rest of sarah dessens books

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I have heard that they are often alike, but I definitely loved this one! It is the first one I read, though I hope to read more.

Delaney this book was heart-crushing but I liked it. I didn't feel there was a cliffhanger because Dessen let's you think what will happen. It was a perfect ending.

Lupita i love this book i dont get how you coudnt love it

RedEye_Witch I hate this book. a lot. it's the truth.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

WHY?!

RedEye_Witch ♫♥Abby♫♥Thecrazybutlovablegirl8D wrote: "WHY?!"

Hello~, didn't you read the book? He ABUSED her! and everytime he hits her, i wish she would just kick him and dump him. But no she didn't, and you know why? because she is blinded by love and pity for the guy.

He should be grateful that she even stayed by his side that long. If I want a boyfriend, I would want him to be nice, or at least someone with a tender heart. Not a heart of stone.

If you call a guy who hits his GF for just minor reasons a tender hearted guy, then there is something wrong with your brain. Even if his dad hits him and his life isn't all that perfect, he shouldn't hit her just so he could let off steam. I say that that stinking Rogerson guy will turn into his father if he doesn't even respect and take of his own GF the right way.

Sorry, but that's how I feel about this book. No offense or anything but seriously, this book pisses me off, even if it's Sarah Dessen's book.:( But I do like her other books.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Rogerson has mental issues. Isn't that obvious? And plus, it was beautifully written.

kw_pagemaster I loved this book. It really sucked me in and made me feel like I was the main character. Now, in no way, shape, or form have I ever been in this situation, but while I was reading it I felt like I was in the story.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Eevee wrote: "I loved this book. It really sucked me in and made me feel like I was the main character. Now, in no way, shape, or form have I ever been in this situation, but while I was reading it I felt like I..."

Yes i completely agree with you, the way she writes this book made me feel that I was Caitlin, and it made me feel like I was the one who couldn't breath or was in need of help. I loved this book, because it pulled me in, and it relates to an issue that millions of teens have.

kw_pagemaster Thank you :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 24, 2011 06:51AM) (new)

Does anyone Not like this book?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I _loved_ this book, I also loved Rogerson.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

How could you like Rogerson? He was horrible!

kw_pagemaster Maybe she meant that she had sympathy for Rogerson.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess that could be what she meant. But she said she loved him.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

The thing is I liked him, and Caitlin was pretty stupid to let the abuse continue, she loved him as well, I LOVED his personality, okay?

Sonia Jarmula I thought that the book was great, because it was so different from Sarah Dessen's other books. Don't get me wrong, I love the books, but I always feel like the girl is rescued by a boy, he kind of nudges her along and the relationship is way too good to exist. I thought this was a great portrayal of an abusive relationship, although I really hated the girl at times for letting herself sink into doing drugs and being abused just because she was afraid of losing him. Yes, she loved him, I understand that, but to let all that happen to her because she loved him? No.
But it was nice to have an ending where the main character wasn't in a relationship. If you're like me and had similar thoughts, I think you would enjoy That Summer.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with that one. Except I haven't read That Summer yet.

message 25: by kw_pagemaster (last edited Dec 29, 2011 02:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

kw_pagemaster I don't think Caitlin truly loved Rogerson. She just loved that she finally got something that her older sister never had. She was trying to be different from her sister and she didn't care if it was different in a good way or a bad way.
Also, you guys say that she was stupid to let the abuse go on, but that must mean that a lot of girls are stupid. Girls that get abused by their boyfriends aren't being just physically beaten; they're being mentally abused too. They eventually start thinking that the relationship they are in is the only kind of love that they are worthy of having.

message 26: by Beck (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beck I really liked this book, it was the first book I've read that deals with the issue of domestic violence. It was really well-written.

Zahara I really liked this book I thought that is was wonderfully written and is an awsome book i give it a 4/5 stars

Nuzaifa I really did love this book.I haven't read all the Dessen books but I think Dreamland is the best,so far.

Delaney Nuzaifa wrote: "I really did love this book.I haven't read all the Dessen books but I think Dreamland is the best,so far."

You should try Just Listen. That ones good too. It's my favorite.

Nuzaifa C.H.O.M.P wrote: "You should try Just Listen. That ones good too. It's my favorite."

I've read it.But I felt that Dreamland is way better.
My least fave Sarah Dessen was That Summer.

Delaney Nuzaifa wrote: "C.H.O.M.P wrote: "You should try Just Listen. That ones good too. It's my favorite."

I've read it.But I felt that Dreamland is way better.
My least fave Sarah Dessen was That Summer."

Yeah and i think Lock and Key. Lock and Key was the first from her.

Nuzaifa You didn't like lock and key?Why?

Delaney Not sure, maybe it was just a little odd at the end.

message 34: by Kelly (last edited Jun 27, 2012 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kelly I liked it,
wasn't driven to give it a full 5 stars
but I still liked it. I can't really say what in particular I liked or hated since I read it last year.
I do believe it was.
Hm, I don't really recall there being a cliff-hanger ending, I think it was more just Caitlin working through and maybe coming to see things from a different perspective then she was able to have before...
Although maybe there was a bit of a cliff-hanger as far as Rogerson was concerned, I don't recall, was there anything mentioned about what became of Rogerson?

Ellen I love all Sarah Dessen books, but this was one was one of my favourites. My ultimite favourite from her was The Truth about Forever, but I do have to agree with C.H.O.M.P. "That Summer" was my least favourite.

Delaney Wholesome Goth wrote: "I liked it,
wasn't driven to give it a full 5 stars
but I still liked it. I can't really say what in particular I liked or hated since I read it last year.
I do believe it was.
Hm, I don't really ..."

*SPOILER*
|
V

Rogerson got arrested because some lady called the police (or something along those lines) and so he got out. Caitlin, at the end, her sister who gave her the diary finally came back and then it stopped right there. I don't suppose it was a cliffhanger, it just stopped and I thought it was a really good place to stop.

Josiane Claremont I thought that this was the sweetest love story I've read since "Romeo and Juliet"...:'(

It didn't make me cry (it made my friend cry), but I still thought it was a little sad at the end...I mean, I sort of understand why Caitlin loved Rogerson, but still, she probably should've told somebody about the abuse!

If Rogerson wasn't so careless at the end, then who knows what would have happened to Cait? Found at the bottom of the river? Dumped at an abandoned house? Buried under a house???

And Rogerson! I know that you're being abused by your father, but to take it out on your GF?! The only one who has probably truly loved you?! Geez, man...the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it? *sighs and shakes head*

I love Cait and Rogerson, but honestly, I think that they both could've been smarter...

Magdala i likes this book except whn at times whn he hitted her n took thngs way to far

message 39: by Jaja (last edited Jun 16, 2013 03:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jaja Gina wrote: "The thing is I liked him, and Caitlin was pretty stupid to let the abuse continue, she loved him as well, I LOVED his personality, okay?"

Same here. He's obviously a very smart guy, as shown in the book. And he seemed to have a very sweet and tender personality under the calm and cool demeanor, which he didn't seem to open up to anyone else but only to Caitlin (and I think that was really nice for him, finally finding someone who he can trust).

However, I really hated him for his dark side. The abusive behavior that he got from his father. The drug dealing. Poor attitude towards school. :\

I mean, he really seemed like he had a lot of potential. Like if only he applied his entrepreneural skills in something more ethical, maybe he would have achieved a lot at a very young age, and maybe his parents would lighten up on him. Who knows.

Angela Comment to what Kassandra De Troy said: The last things that they mentioned about Rogerson was that he was in a jail for I believe a few days and then he got stuck doing community service at a pet shelter, if I'm not mistaken. For sure he ended up doing community service though. They never spoke ever since she got sent to the hospital for therapy.

Angela I personally loved this book. I'm one of those hopeless romantics though, that like to picture every relationship perfectly. But as much as I want that, in reality nothing is ever perfect... just like how Rogerson and Caitlyn's relationship was no where near being perfect. Sure he had the brains. But the fact that he was a drug dealer, did the hardcore stuff and always had gone to parties should've made her clue in he was up to no good. It's wrong to judge, but come on, when you think about a drug dealer, you would instantly think they are up to no good.

I did like how she realized the kind of life her sister was living once Caitlyn joined the cheer squad. She realized how her mother always wanted to try to control her life, and how it was so unbareable. It was sort of like she was put in her sisters shoes.

I agree that she should've told someone about the abuse, because the abuse was clearly affecting her not only physically, but mentally too. It got to the point where if anyone were to raise their hand, she would imagine Rogerson reaching out to hit her. And she was never allowed to talk or hangout with her friends. She was basically limited to what she was allowed to do. Which sucked.

It was overall a good book though.

Definitely a must read if you haven't yet. And Just Listen is also another good book by Sarah Dessen. If you're into Tragedy Romance, an author you would absolutely love is Nicholas Sparks, he really knows how to pull at your heart strings. He is the author for The Notebook and A Walk To Remember.