The Sword and Laser discussion

Trying To Figure Out....

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments So a friend came into my office today and asked me to, "Use that online book club you're part of to try to see if you can figure out what book this was..."

He said he read a book in the '80's that was a collection of science fiction short stories, sort of like a "Best Of" type thing, but he couldn't remember what book it was.

The story that stuck out for him, that he remembered most, was a story that may have actually been called "The Grail." It was a future world story, where humans have become scarce and there is a more-prevalent alien race. Apparently, the leader of the aliens asks the human ambassador to find the Holy Grail of legend. The human accepts the quest and in fact does find the grail...but instead of it being a grail like we saw in Indiana Jones or the like, it ends up being a vault where there are 50,000 humans in stasis. Apparently, there was some major event on the earth where they realized that the humans were unlikely to survive, so they put all these people into stasis, with an option to bring them all back (which the guy eventually does).

Ring a bell for anybody? Or can somebody point me to the group here on GR that helps others find obscure books like this? I seem to remember coming across that link before...

In the interest of full disclosure, my friend will be making me another dollar-bill origami animal (such as the buck) if I can find it... :)

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 488 comments No idea, but it sounds intriguing - I hope someone can answer the query. And that is an awesome bit of origami.

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments Paul 'Pezter' wrote: "And that is an awesome bit of origami."

Yeah he and I actually both do a bit of origami as a way to use our hands in something constructive. I've made him a few things that are more geometric, he's made me a buck and a frog (both of his are from dollar bills).

message 4: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments Anybody? Or at least can someone point me to the general Goodreads "Help me find this book" thread? I know I've seen a link to one in the past but I'll be darned if I can find it...

message 5: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments How about this? http://bit.ly/vwoDkj

message 6: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments Yeah, I came across that in a Google search. It didn't seem quite right--no mention of aliens, nor an option to revive a vault of 50k humans...

Though the story by Ellison DOES sound interesting.

message 7: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6111 comments I was going to say it reminds me of the 'Demon with a Glass Hand' episode of the original Outer Limits that Harlan Ellison wrote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lImaly...

message 8: by Nevan (last edited Nov 20, 2011 02:51PM) (new)

Nevan | 143 comments It's not ringing any bells for me. Having said that, it does seem to share a few similarities with 'Hyperion,' by Dan Simmons.

You should try the 'Tip of my Tongue' subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue/. They're scarily good at this sort of thing.

message 9: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments Also, SFSignal posts readers queries of this sort sometimes. Maybe give them a shot too.

message 10: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments The general GR thread is What's the name of that book. Good luck.

message 11: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

upvoted it. hopefully someone there can help you.

And I tagged Veronica...

<.<
>.>

now for some reddit stalking

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

meh.

two posts.

that was a short stalk.

message 14: by ~ (new)

~ I've tried looking for you man but the prevalance of 'holy grail' as an idiom rather than an item is killing my chances of actually finding anything relevant.

Even if it isn't the story linked too earlier, chances are it was still written by Ellison, because... well everything in the Eighties was. I'd keep looking around him if I were you.

message 15: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1666 comments Mod
Ala wrote: "meh.

two posts.

that was a short stalk."

Yeah, I recently went from "lurker" to actual "user" because of the new show!

message 16: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments You guys are super awesome. Thanks for posting on reddit (I've never used reddit...first time for everything) and the pointer to the other GR thread. I know what I'll be doing when I get home this afternoon... :)

message 17: by Nevan (new)

Nevan | 143 comments Veronica wrote: "Posted on Reddit for you!"

Boy, do I feel like a lazy bastard for not posting it myself.

message 18: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1666 comments Mod
Commenter on Reddit says to check out this page:

http://brainz.org/16-best-dying-earth...

About a third of the way down is a book called "The Black Grail"

When the sun begins to die, you know it’s a bad thing for the planet Earth, regardless of how far in the future it is. In The Black Grail the godlike denizens of the far, far flung future it takes place in are attempting to keep the planet and sun going by using time travel to steal energy from younger incarnations of the world. A warrior born in a dark age 1000 years from now is accidentally snatched by them, transported to the end of the planet, and with his memory wiped sent on a number of quests by them to stop whoever is interfering with their plot to save the planet.

message 19: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments Hmm that looks like it's a single book, not a collection of books. But I'll pass it along. Thanks again for the help! This group is awesome.

message 20: by Matt (new)

Matt (scifi451) | 18 comments Even if The Black Grail is not the book your friend remembers, it still sounds kind of interesting itself.

message 21: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments Bump? We've had some newer people join...maybe somebody new knows! :D