Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Rules & Guidelines > Spoilers & Threads: The How To Guide

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Sep 18, 2012 04:45PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Hi everyone.
I realised recently that maybe I should explain the 'spoiler feature' that Goodreads gave us earlier this year (2011).

If any of us want to talk about a book and think our comments may give something away...please use the spoiler feature and mark the book you're talking about...even a chapter or page would be good. But failing that, the book name please.

Which looks roughly like this;

Don't read unless you've finished Bambi
(view spoiler)

So to do this.

Step 1.
Insert the word spoiler between a back arrow < and a forward arrow >

Step 2.
Write in your comments.

Step 3.
Then back arrow < then forward slash / then the word spoiler then a forward arrow >

Practise in this thread if you'd like to.

If it is not working for you, try this first.
Click where it says (some html is ok) at the top of your message box. To the right of add book/author.
Then proceed with the above steps.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Well, it's good to know I have inspired another discussion............. ;)

message 3: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 17, 2011 03:39PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments hahaha!!! :D Funny.

I had this moment before where I thought 'Aw geez. I think I have to moderate, Dawn. When did the world get so screwed up.' :[

message 4: by Ireney (new)

Ireney Berezniak Good call, Terri.

In the heat of a discussion, it is quite easy to forget that not everyone participating in a discussion about a particular title had actually read it. The thought that we may be giving away too much detail doesn't even occur to us. I know I have done this myself on a number of occasions (), but I have improved, thanks to the frequent reminders from other readers!

Also, when creating a new discussion about a particular book you have read, and you expect to disclose details that will spoil the book for those that have not read it, please consider indicating as such in the subject of the discussion by appending a "SPOILERS" keyword. This will warn non-readers to stay away, while allowing the readers of the title to engage in the conversation freely without having to hide parts of the it >8)

ib.

message 5: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments THREADS

For those who aren't familiar with folder set ups in groups.
(For example; if you are new to Goodreads, or new to posting in groups).
Please know that currently the folders are set to have the most active 8 threads visible. But there are more threads in those folders.

Look to the right hand side of all folders and in small writing you will see how many topics are shown of the overall amount. eg 8 topics of 19 showing.

It is easy for popular and interesting topics to slip from view and be forgotten, but they are there if you would like to look for them or if you would like to reread topic threads, or see topic threads you haven't read before.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

just testing it out. Don't mind me :)

(view spoiler)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

It worked :) YAY

message 8: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Love it when a plan comes together! :D

message 9: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 2671 comments Watch the A-Team much?

message 10: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Used to. Lol.

message 11: by Meri (new)

Meri (aussie_bookworm) | 66 comments (view spoiler)

message 12: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Seems to have worked. You're welcome :)

message 13: by Harry (new)

Harry Cunningham | 10 comments Just a tester
(view spoiler)

message 14: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Bingo. :)

message 15: by Guy (new)

Guy VanHorn (gvhatl) | 36 comments I'm giving this a test too.
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Hey Guy (view spoiler)

message 18: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) Allan wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler) :)

message 19: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) You guys are hilarious.

Did you know that you can create your own group, configure it "secret" (as opposed to Public or Private like this group) and only you can see it.

I have one. I use it to practise stuff like spoilers and other such. I spent ages one day trying to insert a picture into a post. I was so happy by the end, but then I'd forgotten why I needed it in the first place :)

I also use it to keep "threads" for my reviews and lists and challenges. When I'm happy with it I can post it to the relevant group. Also this helps on large busy threads where entries can get lost, I update my secret entry master copy then repost fresh updates. Anal, I know.

I can also have discussions and debates with myself, although not often as I can find it quite upsetting.

message 20: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Feb 08, 2016 08:55PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Phew, you're a busy girl. :-)

message 21: by Msjodi777 (new)

Msjodi777 | 38 comments Ace ⚓ wrote: "Did you know that you can create your own group, configure it "secret" (as opposed to Public or Private like this group) and only you can see it.

I have one...."

Yep, I know I'm coming really late to this party, but I just had to add my 2 cents....

What a great idea.... I often write reviews or long comments in Word then copy them into the thread I want, but there are some things in different threads in the groups I'm in, that I really want to keep, and I have no clue where to find them. One comment, I even saved in Word, then couldn't remember where I saved it.... sigh.... getting old is a real pain in the brain sometimes... now, I could find it, and hide it in a secret group. Thanks for the great idea! <><

message 22: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Glad you found it useful Jodi. It's a senior problem I'm having too finding things across different laptops and devices. Ive been refusing to use the Google Drive or other cloud options available as I'm a bit worried about security.

message 23: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Pah. Cloud. Cloud of any kind. They haven't gotten me yet. *shakes fist*.

message 24: by Msjodi777 (new)

Msjodi777 | 38 comments Ace ⚓ wrote: "Glad you found it useful Jodi. It's a senior problem I'm having too finding things across different laptops and devices. Ive been refusing to use the Google Drive or other cloud options available as I'm a bit worried about security...."

I use dropbox, but not clouds.... well.... hmmm.... I do use amazon's cloud to store my kindle books so I can pick them up on any of my kindle apps.... hmmmm.... I use dropbox, because of a knitting program, that stores the pdfs - again so I can access the program with the pdfs on any of my iDevices.... my devices are mostly old, (not quite as old as I am, though in device years, they are probably a lot older than I am).

I also use dropbox for my pictures from my iDevices; however, I let the pictures upload and then move them to my computer fairly quickly, so that they are not out in the ether for a very long time... mostly I don't care what goes into the ether, but I make sure that pictures of my grands don't go there. Just something about my grands and ethernet that really doesn't sit well with me. paranoid? me? not much..... <><