History, Medicine, and Science: Nonfiction and Fiction discussion

Book Club > Join the discussion for The Disappearing Spoon

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (CentralCaliGrrrl) | 115 comments Mod
Sorry I'm so late getting this posted...I've had a severe case of the stomach flu this week.

I've been waiting to read this book for a long time. Is anyone else reading it this month or has anyone read it before?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I read it earlier this year. It was quite good. I really enjoyed it. However, as far as "chemistry books" go, I rather liked Oliver Sack's "Uncle Tungsten."
If you want to see a "disappearing spoon" in action, check this out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaJ_Yx...

message 3: by Wesley (new)

Wesley (wtimblin) | 2 comments Just picked up a copy of this book, looking to start by the weekend. Read some pretty damning reviews through the Guardian website though, but willing to give it a go because I am a bit of a geek and love books like this!

message 4: by Phylwil (new)

Phylwil Very very interesting. I am enjoying the human stories of all the chemistry and physics discoveries I have long been aware of.

message 5: by Phylwil (new)

Phylwil Is anyone else reading this book?

I enjoyed all but the last chapter immensely. In that chapter, the author suggests there should be other types of periodic tables and maybe other structures would organize elements in other, equally meaningful, ways. I tend to think there is a reason the table looks like it does--it makes sense.

History, Medicine, and Science: Nonfiction and...

unread topics | mark unread