Lush Library discussion

Past Group Reads > Room and Water for Elephants: I have an idea - what do you think?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
The books are so close in the polls and keep being equal so what I propose is that I add both to next month's reads. What do you think?
Also to get better discussions I'll be creating a list of those who voted for each book. If you want to join in both discussions then mention it in this thread.
I'd also like volunteers to run discussions on each book - you will have complete control over how you want to organise things (how many threads, discussion topics/questions or whatever else you can think of to get things going). I will also make you a temporary moderator for a month! If things go well after a few month's of this system I'll set up voting polls to vote in 1 (or maybe 2) new moderators to help me run the group. Sound good?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
I think that's probably the best idea, since there are equal numbers of people wanting to read both books. I'm happy to help out with discussions if you'd like, too -- either now or in the future. I'm (reluctantly) unemployed at the moment, so I have a LOT of spare time to fill :) Hopefully the increased choice will mean that people enjoy their reads this month.

message 3: by Kirsty (last edited Nov 17, 2011 08:35AM) (new)

Sarah - if it's agreed that it's a good idea then it would be great if you could think up ideas for Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Candace - you are a star and if you could concentrate on Stories by Neil Gaiman and do the same (start up any ideas to get better participation) it's our ongoing book so is a task but if you get time then going back over the stories we've already read and implementing any ideas would be a huge help and much appreciated

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

Candace wrote: "Kirsty - I have been working to catch up with everyone on the stories, so I should be all caught up by this weekend. Once I get caught up, it shouldn't be too terribly time consuming going forward ..."

Good news! If you'd like to think up ideas for more in depth discussions for all of the stories we have done so far then that would be great. No need to run them by me:)

message 5: by Ness (last edited Nov 17, 2011 01:41PM) (new)

Ness (Violet74) | 209 comments Mod
I do prefer the idea of having both Water For Elephants and Room for the December read. I think there is enough of us keen to read one or the other and some of us will manage to read both. I'm not even sure which one I like the sound of most to be honest, in the poll I opted for Room in the end.

At least if we have both books for December everyone will get a chance to read their choice :)

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
Kirsty wrote: "Sarah - if it's agreed that it's a good idea then it would be great if you could think up ideas for Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Candace - you are a star and if you could concentrate on [..."

Okay, I'll give that some thought :)

Sam (VanillaFountain) | 577 comments Mod
I am going to read all three, I've been dying to read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen for about a year and wanted to get stuck into Room by Emma Donoghue as soon as I got it from the charity shop last month, but wanted to read with someone, it's always much more fun that way :)

message 8: by Ness (new)

Ness (Violet74) | 209 comments Mod
I've ordered both Room and Water for Elephants (used but decent copies from eBay and Amazon for a penny each). I think I'll start with Room first, in that way if it gets me down hopefully I would have finished it by Christmas time .... and be on to the more cheery sounding WfE :)

Looking forward to both of them though. Room will give me plenty to think about and WfE sounds like an escapist read.

By the way, I'd be up for doing a thread or two for Room by Emma Donoghue If it's going begging ;)

message 10: by Kirsty (new)

Sam wrote: "By the way, I'd be up for doing a thread or two forRoom by Emma DonoghueIf it's going begging ;)"

Sorted - your name is now under the book as a discussion leader:)

Ness wrote: "I've ordered both Room and Water for Elephants (used but decent copies from eBay and Amazon for a penny each). I think I'll start with Room first, in that way if it gets me down hopefully I would ..."

Room was the first book I put on my kindle and I read it in a day or 2. It's not a heavy read and is a good read.

message 11: by Kirsty (last edited Nov 18, 2011 05:46PM) (new)

Candace - Stories by Neil Gaiman
Sarah - Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Sam - Room by Emma Donoghue

Your names have been added to the books as discussion leaders and I'll swap December's books in at the start of the month - thanks guys:) I love it when a plan comes together ;)

Thank you :)

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
I don't mind doing the Anansi Boys thread seeing as I harangued everyone into reading it ;0

message 14: by Kirsty (new)

Amina wrote: "I have ordered the books. Yay.

Ps if anyone needs a copy of the room I have a HB copy *smiles*"

Have you noticed I've put you down as a temp mod? I'll be looking at group members who contribute the most in a few months and will permanently add 2 then (maybe 3) x
Jo wrote: "I don't mind doing the Anansi Boys thread seeing as I harangued everyone into reading it ;0"

I'd already put you down for it :p Thanks mate x

message 15: by Kirsty (new)

Amina wrote: "I did notice that, hehe. I am getting a list together with my books for swaps, hoping to get the section moving a little."

Any other areas you can think of adding to then go right ahead too :)

message 16: by Kirsty (new)

Amina wrote: "I would like to try and start a mini debate about a theme in the Barnes book when everyone is done that interests me."

I'll put your name as discussion leader for the book. Glad you volunteered - I'd thought of asking you. I noticed there is a way to hide spoilers. Could you find it out and post instructions at the top of the monthly book thread?