Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Dune
This topic is about Dune
Page Numbering Requests > ISBN 9780441172719

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Irma (waterfly89) | 14 comments Hey,

I have this book right in front of me at this very moment (checked the ISBN a million times). It has 883 pages (including the afterword) but someone keeps changing the number of pages to 537! I think I've already changed it twice in the past couple of weeks (I have the Librarian status) but it keeps going back to 537. Could someone please check what's going on and why the page count keeps changing?

Thanks,
Irma

Cecile | 67 comments Hi, it's seems you're at war with Connor on this one : http://www.goodreads.com/book/edits/5...

Irma (waterfly89) | 14 comments OK, thanks, I sent him a message.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I have messaged Connor about this and I have changed the book page count back to 883. If he continues to undo the change please contact a super-librarian or goodreads employee.

message 5: by Connor (last edited Nov 17, 2011 07:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Connor | 2 comments I will be the first to admit that the Amazon page says 896 pages, however this is not the case with the actual book. Dune (ISBN 9780441172719) can be found on the Amazon site at (http://www.amazon.com/Dune-Chronicles...).

If you would humor me, you can verify that the book has 537 pages for yourself. You can click on the book cover (on the Amazon page) to view the first couple of pages. You may use this feature to view the table of contents, which clearly indicates that there are only 537 pages.

I own an edition of the book with this ISBN and I can assure you that it has 537. That's really strange, I could have sworn ISBN's were unique.

message 6: by Paula (last edited Nov 17, 2011 07:56AM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments ISBN's can be reused unfortunately.

World cat and a library in Switzerland appear to have 535 pages. We would normally go with the number in Worldcat over Amazon since Amazon is notorious for bad data.

I am changing it to 535

Edit: Amazon.co.uk have 535

Amazon.com and Barnes and Nobel both have 896ish but also show table of contents with only 536 pages.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 17, 2011 08:41AM) (new)

Thank you Paula! Also doesn't goodreads base the page count on what Amazon or whatever says not what the TOC says?

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41726 comments Mod
Šçö†† rote: "Also doesn't goodreads base the page count on what Amazon or whatever says not what the TOC says?"

Absolutely not. Obviously, that's how data imports from Amazon. But when pages numbers on Amazon are wrong (which happens more often than not), we correct them based on the actual book and/or better data (such as from WorldCat, whose pages numbers are probably correct better than 85% of the time).

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41726 comments Mod
Irma, you can create an alternate-cover-type edition if you want, with the number of pages your edition has.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

rivka wrote: "Šçö†† rote: "Also doesn't goodreads base the page count on what Amazon or whatever says not what the TOC says?"

Absolutely not. Obviously, that's how data imports from Amazon. But when pages numbe..."

Oh okay..

message 11: by Irma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Irma (waterfly89) | 14 comments I created an alternate-cover-type edition as rivka suggested: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

There seem to be a lot of editions from the same publisher with the same ISBN but which differ slightly, mostly in appendices and/or afterwords. I can't even find the exact one I have: 3 books, 4 appendices, terminology, cartographic notes, map and an afterword by Brian Herbert. I uploaded my own cover for now but I'll try and look for some more info.

message 12: by Irma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Irma (waterfly89) | 14 comments Oh, I'd also like to apologize to Connor. :)

Connor | 2 comments Irma wrote: "Oh, I'd also like to apologize to Connor. :)"

Haha no need :)

Enjoy the rest of the book!

Meredith (mcgraced) | 84 comments On a total tangent, love the journey book icon, Irma. :)

message 15: by Irma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Irma (waterfly89) | 14 comments Haha, it IS very appropriate, isn't it?

Deedee | 69 comments Help! As it happens I have both books here in my hand.

The one with ISBN number
978 0 441 17271 9
is 883 pages.

The one with ISBN number
0 441 17271 7
is 537 pages.

Both ISBN numbers link to the exact same book:

Dune

Ideally, it would be great to have the ISBN's refer to two completely separate books, since the pagecount differs so dramatically between them.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dune (other topics)