flight paths discussion

Flight Paths Lounge > Writing (more than a book review)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments Do you write, feel the need to write but have no time. I know there are poets amongst us. Would you like to be a wordsmith but have had a reality check ?
Are you good at collaborative writing ? What author would you most like to write with ? Do you have editing skills ? Tales to tell !? Views about write-alongs ? Just like reading pure and simple !

(probably in the wrong category)

message 2: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1245 comments I do like writing-except reviews. And I love editing. But since joining GR, I've virtually stopped writing. When I joined, I was in a poetry phase-no progress on my novel but busy with poems. Now: nothing.
All dried up.

Maybe my birthday gift to myself (on Saturday) is that I will spend 2 hours writing.

Thanks so much for the inspiration-I never even thought of it before your post!

message 3: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments I readily admit to being many rungs short of being a wordsmith, I wrote 'bad' poetry when I was young. 'Bad' meaning I never really got the rhythm part.

Apart from editing my daughters college essays I have pretty much limited myself to business reports.

However I partook in a GR write-along recently much to my own surprise. It was more outline of a story than a full blown version.

One issue I live with apart from preferring numbers to words, is that I was taught to precis at school, and long discourses like this one are unusual.

I find I write in a more relaxed fashion when assisting.

message 4: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2337 comments a write along sounds fun.

I am always amazed at the amount of work that goes into a reveiw. Because I love reading the reviews of others, I try to put the same care into my own.

I am in a poetry phase right now.

message 5: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments I have completed a second 'write a long' in my usual truncated style. It took me 5 minutes, which makes me think I would find it a challenge to force myself to commit keyboard strokes to electronic gadgetary for hours upon end.

message 6: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2337 comments intruiged by these write-a-longs
where cane we see this?

personally I find the whole keyboard stroke thing, breaking the word up into its individual components, letter by letter, very tedious.

message 7: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Jan 09, 2012 01:38AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments See the Group 'Active Goodreaders' for my poor offerings !

I use much 'cut and paste' but as you know I am quite a rapid typist (mitigation for amnesia !)

message 8: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Dec 18, 2013 01:00AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2337 comments just spent a futile half hour trying to paste some writing here and lo! it finally worked

message 9: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2337 comments You may have noticed that there is something terribly wrong with the way things are going, all over the world. It is alarmingly obvious that the dominant systems held in place by a power structure that is crumbling, are incapable of providing for the people who rely on them.

History reminds us of the pattern of civilizations.

At this stage of the cycle, we still have a few options.
We can cling to the scant security offered us by the multinational and government corporations>we can continue to engage in the fierce competition for resources, prestige and power>we can opt out and cobble a living from handouts and leftovers>we can zombify ourselves>we can buy into the apocalypse being prepared for us by our friendly sponsors>OR we can turn to each other with compassion, and
begin to arrange a system that will honor the wisdom, dignity and individuality of our diverse world populations and our common interests.

We have a window of opportunity, a little time left to begin to reverse the unsustainable, idiotic policies of extinction that threaten us all.

What we really need now is a way of bridging the gap between the precarious mess that we are in, and the visionary dream of a new way of ordering things that is based not on hierarchy, fear and coercion, that does not condemn us to war, but designed to nurture and allow each other to live in peace.
It’s a big undertaking that we have been told is impossible, but it could be simple if we can take the time and care to determine our most urgent priorities. Without a shot being fired, we could transform the way we live, to create a world hospitable to all life, free of the terror and unbearable stresses that we have accepted as the way things are. Think about the way things could be.

Now is the time to begin to carefully dismantle the obsolete systems that have been hampering creative alternatives. We can start by stopping all harmful practices, and doing away with the most obvious forms of oppression. We can learn from the mistakes of the past as we consult with those who are already devising sustainable practices in their communities. Organic gardeners and permaculturists, architects and engineers, community activists and members of co ops, squatters who fabricate homes in decaying structures from discarded materials rescued from scrap heaps, artisans and carpenters and healers, children and elders:everybody will be needed if we are to disengage ourselves from the traps that are choking us.

If we can see our way to dispense with artificial boundaries and the vagaries of monopoly capitalism, a lot of problems could begin to solve themselves. The accepted notion of private property needs adjustment. We know that real estate is not real. Our task now is to devise a way to live in harmony, not as owners but as caretakers of the land. Obviously, the mass production of weapons and the reliance on toxic chemicals must discontinue. Together, we need to decide, what we need and what we want to keep. Let the banks be redesigned to house the homeless, let those who have been displaced and dispersed lead the way in devising communities of mutual interest.Let the music of the world guide us as it already has linked us in imagination.

message 10: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1245 comments I'm reading and thinking about your post, Magdelanye. I may need a little time to respond but I want you to know I find it of great interest and complete agree with you.

message 11: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2337 comments Ellie wrote: "I'm reading and thinking about your post, Magdelanye. I may need a little time to respond but I want you to know I find it of great interest and complete agree with you."

I look forward to your comments

message 12: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2337 comments Early this morning I read comments from Megan Petra and Ice, and just now came to reply. Android has updated again and lo! I was presented with a new fuller menu so of course had to check things out.
Will this comment reactive this old thread?

message 13: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2337 comments wow Ellie, read your first comment here from 2011. In the interval between then and now you've become a published bona fide poet.
Soon be heard accompanying your words with guitar ☘☘⚘

message 14: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1245 comments Magdelanye wrote: "wow Ellie, read your first comment here from 2011. In the interval between then and now you've become a published bona fide poet.
Soon be heard accompanying your words with guitar ☘☘⚘"

Lol--but thanks Magdelanye. It was so interesting reading that comment. I forget thinking about where I've some from and am always measuring myself by what I haven't or have not yet done. It was good to read where I was just a few years ago.

As for the guitar--well, who knows? Apparently anything could happen.

(Love the bona fide poet--thanks! :) )