UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Book Recommendations > The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw these books promoted on a thread in amazoo. I have invited the promoter to come over here but in the mean time I thought that I would highlight the books myself.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz [Illustrated]
Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz [Illustrated]

Just going to pinch the text from the promoter

"Thus, we (at Eltanin Publishing) have taken on the challenge of creating the best-formatted ebook versions of the Wizard of Oz series. ALL the original illustrations are included (in color, if they were in the original), and have been painstakingly formatted to look great on both color and e-ink ereaders. We have completed the first three books in the series so far, and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was just released! "

I've downloaded samples to both my kindle and kindle for pc. The illustrations are lovely and the price of the books is less than £2 each. You can see the colour illustrations on the pc app - and the grey scale works beautifully on the kindle.

I'm excited about this because it is one of my bugbears that so many publishers leave out the illustrations from their kindle versions, but still charge us full price, even though the kindle can display them well if properly formatted!

Can someone redo the links for me so that they take us through the store please.

:0)

message 2: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments less than £1.50 each!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Even better!

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (vermontcathy) | 9 comments Hey! Thanks Karen! I'm Cathy Ryan, the Editor-in-Chief of Eltanin Publishing. I just posted Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz in the New Releases area. You've listed book #1 in the series (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz) and book #4 (Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz) and we also have
#2: The Marvelous Land of Oz and
#3: Ozma of Oz

We will continue to work on formatting ALL the Oz books. Usually it's at least a month between releases, and sometimes a few months. Thanks for telling me about this great Goodreads forum!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi - I'm glad that you could make it over here! Please feel free to start your own thread so that you can keep it up to date! We'll have to ask the mods where to put it though - usually authors have their own threads in the Meet the Authors section, but as Frank Baum isn't around I wonder what Simon and Patti would suggest for editors....?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I am daft! You already have put the full info in the New Releases section! I should have caught up with the other posts before making my last suggestion!!

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (vermontcathy) | 9 comments That's a good question, Karen. When we have a new release it will go in that section, but for an ongoing discussion of Oz things, for instance if I wanted to tell people of the scene I think is funniest in the books, and ask what they think is the funniest scene... can I start threads like that in the regular section, as long as I don't mention our books? But then what if someone asks about what version they should buy, and I'm thinking "Ours! Ours!". I certainly don't want to break any rules.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Simon and Patti are our moderators - we have very few rules. If you post in a section but they feel it would be better somewhere else - they will just move it and pm you with the suggestion. Our only hard and fast rule over here is "try to be nice to each other!" We're quite mad here and will often go off topic I'm afraid. If you find the time, please join in with the fun on some of the other threads. The only problem that I can see is that it can get quite addictive and your publishers might wonder why you aren't getting much work done any more!! lol. If you send a pm (private message) to Simon (Highwayman) or Patti - they will advise your on the best way to go.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I could ask the wizard but that would imply I'm interested in his answer.

This is a good thread to discuss the Oz books generally and you're welcome to start a new 'new releases' thread as they become available.

Welcome to our group, Cathy!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! How's that for service! While I'm typing my reply one of our tame moderators comes along with the answer!!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments You know me. Always lurking.

message 12: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments if i had more than £0.58 in my account i would definitly buy these, of course there is always the joint...

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (vermontcathy) | 9 comments Wow, you guys are so friendly! So different from some other forums...

OK, one Oz thought, and then back to work for me!

I love cats (sadly the one in my pic died... ok, back to happy thoughts) and so I love that there is a kitty in Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz, even though it's a BAD KITTY. And what's really cool is that Oz seems to "get" cats - Baum writes (WRT Oz) "he realized that a kitten cannot be depended upon at all times to act properly..." He wasn't saying it in a critical way, but in an understanding way, having sympathy for the naughtiness.

I wonder if Baum had cats...

message 14: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (vermontcathy) | 9 comments Jud (Krisztof) wrote: "if i had more than £0.58 in my account i would definitly buy these, of course there is always the joint..."

Maybe I could do some sort of contest/giveaway. I don't know how, but if someone wants to send me a message explaining it, I'll do it. And I guess I'd need ideas for a contest...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never actually read the Wizard of Oz!! Just seen the film many times! I must read these soon - after I've finished my current read.

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (vermontcathy) | 9 comments Karen (Kew) wrote: "I've never actually read the Wizard of Oz!! Just seen the film many times! I must read these soon - after I've finished my current read.

:0)"

Wait until you read about how the Tin man became a tin man! OMG! In a children's book?!

You all are right - this forum is addictive. I really have to get back to work.. :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Tee hee - just tell everyone that you are promoting and conducting research!!

message 18: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Nov 17, 2011 09:33AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments One of my earliest and fondest book related memories is of sitting on a scratty couch in my primary school library with a huge illustrated copy of The Wizard of Oz on my lap, completely lost in the story. It was magic then and is still.

message 19: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Aw now I just want these books even more. Aha! Something to put on my christmas list :o)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I actually read all of the books for the first time about 3 months ago and loved them. Might have to have a look at these...

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments I've never actually read any of the books either....and I didn't enjoy having to watch the film every Christmas because my little brother insisted that we watched it.