Karachi discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
archive > Group reads suggestion 2012!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
yayyy for the 2012. The year that Mayan calender ends. How are we going to start this year?

message 2: by Javed (last edited Nov 17, 2011 01:33AM) (new)

Javed Hayat (javed_hayat) Well, I plan to read Thomas Pynchon's Against the Day. Have read the first 10 odd pages. And it sounds like quite a book already.

As for the options in the poll, I happen to have read all five of them :( Though I am also hoping that either Les Miserables or The Stand wld win. Both great books in their own right. Les Miserables more so.

message 3: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (AyeshaM) | 26 comments Can we do Neil Gaiman? I want y'all to read his stuff, it's fab. Or Terry Pratchett? Something a little less uptight maybe? LOL

That is, if we don't disintegrate on the last day of december or something.

message 4: by Uzma (new)

Uzma (uxeyali) I suggest a Sci-fi! History with future mixed. Seems appropriate since the world is going to end. Area 51 by Robert Doherty. The entire series :D

message 5: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (last edited Nov 17, 2011 09:30PM) (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
Ayesha wrote: "That is, if we don't disintegrate on the last day of december or som..."

Thats next yr dec ;)

message 6: by Rimsha (new)

Rimsha Salam (rimshasalam) | 18 comments i would like to suggest a young adult fantasy sci-fi named the "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins i just started reading it last night and i just couldn't put it down its just great a fast read full of action packed adventure i've read more then half of it already and it is absolutely great.but i don't know if it will be available here cause i downloaded an ebook from the net.

message 7: by Javed (new)

Javed Hayat (javed_hayat) I just voted for The Stand. How is that for poll rigging! :)

message 8: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (AyeshaM) | 26 comments I vote for scifi/fantasy too!

message 9: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
I think it would be interesting to have themes every month or so. we can have choices of that particular theme but this looks good too to me.

message 10: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
So so far we have:

Books:
Against the day
Area 51 [the entire series can be opted by ppl who want to]
Angelina Jolie's: Notes from My Travels: Visits with Refugees in Africa, Cambodia, Pakistan and Ecuador
Hunger games [it has a series too]

Writers:
Neil Gaiman
Terry Prachet

Genre:
Sci-fi
fantasy

message 11: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
I think we should totally go for Sci-fi in jan, the year being 2012.

In sci-fi we have Area 51 and hunger games already suggested. Would someoen like to suggest more books in this category? This is the whole sci-fi shelf on GR

http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/s...

message 12: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (AyeshaM) | 26 comments Good Omens! Also, the Color of Magic, or Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett.

OR Weaveworld by Clive Barker

I haven't read the latter, it's a ginormous book but a lot of fun nonetheless, from what i've heard.

message 13: by Rimsha (new)

Rimsha Salam (rimshasalam) | 18 comments Paras wrote: "I think we should totally go for Sci-fi in jan, the year being 2012.

In sci-fi we have Area 51 and hunger games already suggested. Would someoen like to suggest more books in this category? This i..."

great idea we could select a genre for every month i also think that jan should be sci-fi. Plus can i suggest more books?

message 14: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
Rimsha wrote: "Paras wrote: "I think we should totally go for Sci-fi in jan, the year being 2012.

In sci-fi we have Area 51 and hunger games already suggested. Would someoen like to suggest more books in this ca..."

Ofcourse u can.

message 15: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
Ayesha wrote: "Good Omens! Also, the Color of Magic, or Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett.

OR Weaveworld by Clive Barker

I haven't read the latter, it's a ginormous book but a lot of fun nonetheless, from w..."

Wow.. lol so many books? but isnt Terry prachett fantasy writer? I have read just one book from clieve barker, it was good :)

message 16: by Rimsha (new)

Rimsha Salam (rimshasalam) | 18 comments how about "I ROBOT" by Isaac Asimov i have never read any of his books tough but it looks good to me. Its was also made in a movie.

message 17: by Javed (new)

Javed Hayat (javed_hayat) Well, if it is sci fi we have to go for, then I will suggest Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

message 18: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
I would suggest never let me go

message 19: by Javed (new)

Javed Hayat (javed_hayat) Paras wrote: "I would suggest never let me go"

I would like to second that. Heard good things abt Ishiguro and about this book. Havent had a chance to read him as yet.

Have u read any of his previous books?

message 20: by Maha (new)

Maha | 8 comments how many of you have read The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins ?

message 21: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
Maha wrote: "how many of you have read The Hunger Games

Hunger games is one of the choices for Jan's read.

I have read the series already though. Have u?

message 22: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (last edited Nov 27, 2011 10:31AM) (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
Lev_Boy wrote: "Paras wrote: "I would suggest never let me go"

I would like to second that. Heard good things abt Ishiguro and about this book. Havent had a chance to read him as yet.

Have u read any of his prev..."

No

message 23: by Rimsha (new)

Rimsha Salam (rimshasalam) | 18 comments Maha wrote: "how many of you have read The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins?"

me and by the way loved it !

message 24: by Maha (new)

Maha | 8 comments Paras wrote: "Maha wrote: "how many of you have read The Hunger Games

Hunger games is one of the choices for Jan's read.

I have read the series already though. Have u?"

Ohh yess! i have. it's a great book. the plot is pretty incredible no?

message 25: by Maha (new)

Maha | 8 comments Rimsha wrote: "Maha wrote: "how many of you have read The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins?"

me and by the way loved it !"

i know, right? :)

message 26: by Maha (new)

Maha | 8 comments the iron fey series?? i mean, i dont know if you guys are into YA or not but if you like the hunger games, you'll definitely love this series too!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! ;)

message 27: by Rimsha (new)

Rimsha Salam (rimshasalam) | 18 comments Maha wrote: "the iron fey series?? i mean, i dont know if you guys are into YA or not but if you like the hunger games, you'll definitely love this series too!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! ;)"

hey! thanks for the recommendation going to read it soon

message 28: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
Whats Iron fey series?

And yeah, hunger games was interesting.

message 29: by Maha (new)

Maha | 8 comments it's a series by julie kagawa. If you are not in the idea of " faeries", make an exception because trust me, julie kagawa has pulled off this fairy tale stuff really really well. :)

message 30: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (last edited Dec 02, 2011 04:15AM) (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
No suggestions for FEB?

message 31: by Rimsha (new)

Rimsha Salam (rimshasalam) | 18 comments well if feb's theme is historical fiction, crime-mystery , thriller, World War II then i'd suggest The Traitor's Emblem by Juan Gomez-Jurado .

message 32: by Zeeshan (new)

Zeeshan Raza (zeeshanraza) | 107 comments Mod
Still not finished with 'Raja Gidh' yet. :-( :-P. Done with over around 100 pages.

message 33: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
There is not really a theme for feb. I think random nominations should do.

message 34: by Javed (new)

Javed Hayat (javed_hayat) Well, speaking of random nominations, I would suggest Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/67...

message 35: by Javed (last edited Dec 07, 2011 10:07PM) (new)

Javed Hayat (javed_hayat) Well, the place seemed to have gotten a bit quiet for the past week or so. I dont just mean this thread, but the group as a whole. Just when I finally managed to get myself off the hibernation mode, there goes the whole world like a grain of sand. It must be contagious...

Hence that old cliche, the whole universe is not obliged simply becoz one exists!

message 36: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
Lev_Boy wrote: "Well, the place seemed to have gotten a bit quiet for the past week or so. I dont just mean this thread, but the group as a whole. Just when I finally managed to get myself off the hibernation mode..."

*like*

:P

message 37: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
So we have The Traitor's Emblem and Infinite Jest so far on feb's suggestions.

message 38: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
Lev_Boy wrote: "Well, the place seemed to have gotten a bit quiet for the past week or so. I dont just mean this thread, but the group as a whole. Just when I finally managed to get myself off the hibernation mode..."

I too, would like to know why are we so quiet here.

message 39: by Javed (last edited Dec 09, 2011 07:31AM) (new)

Javed Hayat (javed_hayat) Paras wrote: "I too, would like to know why are we so quiet here."

Yes, it is rather surprising too becoz most of the group members happen to be avid readers of fiction, and in my experience, readers normally like to stay connected and exchange views about books etc etc.

This, be it lack of enthusiasm or something else, is certainly putting me to sleep...

message 40: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
Sleep? Go to read!

or may be we talk boringgg

message 41: by Javed (new)

Javed Hayat (javed_hayat) Paras wrote: "Sleep? Go to read!

or may be we talk boringgg"

Oh chill pill now. Wasnt referring to you. I was referring to lack of literary discourse by most members, you certainly not being one of them.

message 42: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (AyeshaM) | 26 comments I think its the bonedeep winter laziness come to partake the NORMAL laziness

Lawl, what're we reading guys, i've been off doing "Academic reading" for the past few weeks, i'm starved for something good.

message 43: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
Ayesha wrote: "I think its the bonedeep winter laziness come to partake the NORMAL laziness

Lawl, what're we reading guys, i've been off doing "Academic reading" for the past few weeks, i'm starved for somethin..."

I suppose les miserables aint doing for u ;)

message 44: by Javed (new)

Javed Hayat (javed_hayat) Is Les Miserables doing for anyone?

message 45: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
not for me

message 46: by Faysal (new)

Faysal Subhani (comradefaysy) | 1 comments les Miserables is one of my favourite books of all time. Though I think I read the abridged version :P

message 47: by Farzan (new)

Farzan Sheikh (frakkintoaster) | 9 comments So did you guys visit the book fair yet?
I'm surprised there's no activity about that, here.

message 48: by Zeeshan (new)

Zeeshan Raza (zeeshanraza) | 107 comments Mod
I did I did, and planning to visit again on Monday. Actually I reached very late and they were about to close I couldn't decide upon any book to buy. Hall 2 (liberty one) has some great books, just couldn't get enough of it..!!

message 49: by Javed (last edited Dec 18, 2011 07:08AM) (new)

Javed Hayat (javed_hayat) Yes did. It was great. I will second Zeeshan's sentiments. Just cldnt get enuff of it!

message 50: by Famma (new)

Famma | 99 comments How about "A case of exploding Mangoes by by M Hanif" for Feb or Mar 2012
or one of the drama by George Bernard Shaw *Cheezzz*

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.