World Mysteries and Thrillers discussion

Memos, Tips, Tools > Found a really interesting author or book? Just open a discussion for it if you like :)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna, Moderator & Founder (new)

Anna (aetm) | 250 comments Mod
Found a really interesting author or book? Just open a discussion for specifically that book or author if you like. As it's always fun to see how others found some book you loved (or hated).
Also if anyone wants to try any books/authors of the month, or read something with any others around the same time, just post. :)

message 2: by C. (new)

C. (cinnyi) | 7 comments I just finished a book by Boris Starling called Visibility. It's about a pea souper in England that really occurred. In the intense fog that surrounds the city, a body is found. An investigator from London's Murder Squad unravels the mystery which turns out to be a very intense and interesting affair! Great winter's read.

message 3: by Janie (new)

Janie | 8 comments I just finished up "Question of Belief" by Donna Leon. As usual, wonderful from start to finish. I love books, especially mysteries, which incorporate the environment into its story.

message 4: by Janie (new)

Janie | 8 comments Cindy wrote: "I just finished a book by Boris Starling called Visibility. It's about a pea souper in England that really occurred. In the intense fog that surrounds the city, a body is found. An investigator fro..."

I'll have to try that one on for size. Have you read others by the same author?

message 5: by Eve (new)

Eve Collier Winter Chill is set in Sydney, Australia. The detectives are down to earth and the plots are clever and unpredictable.

message 6: by C. (new)

C. (cinnyi) | 7 comments Janie wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I just finished a book by Boris Starling called Visibility. It's about a pea souper in England that really occurred. In the intense fog that surrounds the city, a body is found. An in..."

I have Messiah and Storm by Starling but I haven't read them. I picked them up after I finished Visibility. They are serial killer books and that normally isn't a genre I read - they really creep me out. Visibility is filled with a lot of history and great atmosphere of London just after the war. Have you read his other works? I've heard Messiah is great.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Boston | 1 comments I read a great thriller last month. It's about teenage girls going missing in a small town. I thought it was excellent.

Never Smile at Strangers
Never Smile at Strangers by Jennifer Minar-Jaynes

message 8: by C. (new)

C. (cinnyi) | 7 comments That looks good! I am now reading a Sebastian Faulks book, it's good - Birdsong.

message 9: by Lemar (new)

Lemar | 12 comments I read a mystery set in the Solomon Islands that was recommended in this group and loved it. The characters are quirky and ones we can root for. the action involves local customs and beliefs in the tradition of Tony Hillerman and Arthur Upfield. Devil-Devil

message 10: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Lemar wrote: "I read a mystery set in the Solomon Islands that was recommended in this group and loved it. The characters are quirky and ones we can root for. the action involves local customs and beliefs in t..."

The second book in this series is just out: One Blood. Story features a connection with Kennedy/PT109.