Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > When do you stop eating?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, say you're sitting down for lunch, dinner, breakfast, etc...when do you stop eating? When the food's gone? When you're no longer hungry? When when when?

message 2: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I stop when I'm no longer hungry. I don't like to waste food, so if I'm at a restaurant I nearly always end up taking half of my meal home. I've always been a slow eater, so I very rarely eat until I'm uncomfortably stuffed.

message 3: by Lori (last edited Nov 16, 2011 06:23AM) (new)

Lori | 181 comments i'm an anxiety and anger eater...so, when i need to mindlessly stuff everything and anything into my piehole, i make a plastic sandwich bag with some almonds--cinnamon and brown sugar--mini kettle cooked rice cakes, a few pretzels, some dried pineapple, a few chunks of ginger with cane sugar...and some of anything else i might have that's healthy, low-fat, and lowwwwww-calorie--otherwise, i'd end up big as a house. i stop eating when i get disgusted with the rice cakes; those alone can make you wanna abandon food altogether.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments unfortunately i eat until i am full usually. i think much had to do with the way i was brought up and the concepts of "clean your plate" and "seconds". i try to be smarter and less gluttonous when i eat and not order something that "has a large portion size" or just not fill my plate when i'm home and eat a sensible amount.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I am good about packing up half for leftovers, since I rarely need to eat a large portion. Unfortunately, I am also a sucker for "if you don't eat it I'm going to throw it away." If Zu plays that card I will eat until I'm stuffed.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael I'm an emotional eater and can/will eat until I start to feel sick. There, you all know something about me now that no one else does.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori | 181 comments ...and you don't care what it is you pick up, to hell with it, and shove it in your mouth...am i right? doesn't it su*k??

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael I won't eat something that fell on the floor or came from someone else's plate (or maybe kitchen) but you're pretty much right.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24150 comments Mod
Okay, confession. I had never done this before but a few days ago I was scooping myself some mint chocolate chip ice cream, and a big scoop of it flew out of the container and right onto the floor. There was no way I was going to throw out a blob of ice cream that big, so I examined it closely in the light, brushed it off gently, and dropped it into my mug. (I like to eat ice cream out of a mug.) I had mopped the floor the previous day, so I knew it wasn't going to be radically filthy.

When I stop eating: at home, I pretty much serve myself a portion I know I will eat all of. Then I eat all of it, and at the end of eating I am full but not stuffed. At a restaurant, I stop when I'm full and get a doggy bag unless the amount left on the plate is minimal.

Interesting, though, at breakfast or lunch I not only eat less volume wise, but I stop before I'm full. I don't want to eat some enormous breakfast and then waddle out of the house, or eat some enormous lunch that is going to put me to sleep. It's easier and more convenient to eat more at dinner because I'm not usually worried about waddling somewhere, or having to stay awake for the next 10 hours. Breakfast for me is usually only coffee anyway.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori | 181 comments Michael wrote: "I won't eat something that fell on the floor or came from someone else's plate (or maybe kitchen) but you're pretty much right."

any easy garbage i can reach for--and no, definitely not the floor!

message 11: by Cam (last edited Nov 17, 2011 10:03AM) (new)

Cam | 111 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Okay, confession. I had never done this before but a few days ago I was scooping myself some mint chocolate chip ice cream, and a big scoop of it flew out of the container and right onto the floor..."

I bet eating that blob of ice cream off the floor was an "adventure" for you since you never did that kind of thing before. LOL. Of course, I'm joking...I enjoy reading your comments!

For me the only time I stop eating is when I'm sleeping.

message 12: by Cam (new)

Cam | 111 comments Lori wrote: "i'm an anxiety and anger eater...so, when i need to mindlessly stuff everything and anything into my piehole, i make a plastic sandwich bag with some almonds--cinnamon and brown sugar--mini kettle ..."

I agree with you - eating almonds is good for that type of anger and anxiety.

message 13: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments I've been working really hard on portion control... these days, I stop eating when I've finished a serving. It hasn't been easy, but it's working!

I think one of the worst things about changing your eating habits is the shame that occurs when you think about what you USED to eat. It's sad enough to make a girl want a chocolate bar (but to settle for drinking water instead).

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24150 comments Mod
Or eat nouvelle cuisine.

[image error]

message 15: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Is that an apple skin on peanut butter next to jelly? Someone really deconstructed the hell out of that.

message 16: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I wouldn’t think that was even an appetizer.

I try to watch my portions. When I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes and had to measure my portions. It was horrible, but I actually lost weight in my behind and thighs when I was pregnant and I had a nine and a half pound baby.

And then I went nuts and ate everything in sight for about six months, consequently gaining about 20 lbs.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
I eat about 2/3 of what I'm served, usually. I'm bad about overfilling my plate at buffets and potluck dinners and the like. I never eat it all. The only time I eat everything on my plate is either Thanksgiving or when eating Thanksgiving dinner.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.