Q&A with Marie Treanor discussion

E-books and Print Books

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (last edited Nov 16, 2011 01:53AM) (new)

Marie Treanor | 24 comments Mod
Here's something that's been on my mind recently, and I'd love to know your thoughts. Do you read e-book? Do you have an e-book reader? And given a choice, which would you prefer to buy - print or e-book?

Feel free to tell me why :).

Marie

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary I would always prefer to read an actual book, BUT I do have an e-reader on my phone and on my computer. (Kindle app). I am not allowed (which is ridiculous beyond measure) to bring a book to work, so when lunch or break time rolls around I have nothing really to do. So I got the app on my phone and just read on that during those times. Plus it does relieve one's purse of some weight no matter where you go. But generally speaking regardless of the hassle I have at least one book on my person and maybe a few in my car at all times. I love actual books much more that e-readers. I can find my place easier I and move around in the book, I love the feel and smell of the pages. Real books all the way!

message 3: by Marie (new)

Not allowed to bring a book to work??? I could understand them complaining about you reading it during work time, but not to even allow to bring it sounds like an infringement of your human rights :). Glad you found a way to read, though!

Thanks for your thoughts on e-books and print! So many more people have e-book readers now that I'm curious to know :).

Marie

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Plus it definitely feeds into instant gratification. :/ Which appeals to about 99.9% of the population. I have to say I've probably spent more on books this year because of the easy availability.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) I have a Kindle app. on my PC because some books only come in that format. I WANT the book...period. I like to hold it. If books stop being published...well, I'll start re-reading what I have (& it's alot). THAT should keep me busy for awhile :)

message 6: by Marie (new)

Mary wrote: "Plus it definitely feeds into instant gratification. :/ Which appeals to about 99.9% of the population. I have to say I've probably spent more on books this year because of the easy availability."

I know what you mean, Mary - the idea of just acquiring a book whenever you need one, or whenever you come across something intriguing - is very appealing! I love that myself :)

Marie

message 7: by Marie (new)

Cindy wrote: "I have a Kindle app. on my PC because some books only come in that format. I WANT the book...period. I like to hold it. If books stop being published...well, I'll start re-reading what I have (&..."

Hi Cindy,

So, the stories and the writing are more important than how they're delivered?

Mothing wrong with re-reading either, especially when it's been a long time... Or you've rin out of money :).

Marie

message 8: by Marie (new)

Here's another question on this topic - are you ever put off by the price of an ebook? What do you consider is too much?

Marie

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) I think the AUTHORS contribute the bulk of the desire for the book, whatever the format!!! I have authors that I follow without fail...ie The SILK trilogy. I love finding new authors and rely on recommendations from online friends. It becomes hard sometimes because what is one persons cup of tea...not so much for others *sad smile* That's why it becomes fun to tiptoe through Goodreads looking for MORE...always more. It's hard sometimes, because though some newbies have a wonderful story, it can be very badly written. Few and far between, but they're out there AND THOSE are the one's I'll try in e-format...so I think they should be cheaper than hard-format. After all, if I want to forever keep it..I will re-order it in solid form!

message 10: by Marie (new)

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the kind words :). Most people I've spoken to seem to agree that ebooks should be priced lower than the paperbacks, and like you,I find it a good way to try out new authors without committing too much money until I'm sure :).

Marie

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary I consider anything above 6-7 too much. It's ridiculous. I can get an actual book at BN for the exact same price. I understand the convenience and the publishers, editors and authors need to make money, but I've seen $14.99 ebooks. Not ok. :/ Anything $5 and under though I get in a heartbeat really. (Which isn't good for my pocketbook) And the authors that I really enjoy I'll pay a bit more for. But it just cheeses me off that actual books and ebooks are the same price.

message 12: by Marie (new)

Yes, I think very carefully before paying more than $7 for an ebook. And in the Uk prices are higher because we pay VAT on e-books, though not on print books. That doesn't make any sense to me either :).

Marie

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary Is VAT a type of tax?

message 14: by Marie (new)

Yes, Value Added Tax - meant to be on luxury goods, although it's actually on clothes and just about everything else too :). Any attempt to add it to books has always been resisted, though it did sneak on to e-books somehow!

Marie

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary Interesting. :) Learn something new everyday! Hah!