The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Rory Book Discussions > Time Traveler vs Time Machine - Compare/Contrast

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Meghan Okay, I read Time Machine years ago and all I remember from the book is the two humoid races. So when the opportunity to read the book again, I thought it was a good partner for TTTW. Unfortunately, what I remembered was more from the recent movie version (with Guy Pierce) than the book. So I guess if you're looking for a great comparison, I recommend renting the movie! But I'm only a couple of chapters into TTM so I have no comparisons yet for the books.

message 2: by Meghan (new)

Meghan So, I feel I need to say this. I FINALLY finished The Time Machine last night! And yeah, it wasn't a very good pairing with the Time Traveler's Wife. I think that was what kept distracting me. Overall, the story itself wasn't bad, but I kept trying to relate it to TTTW and I just couldn't line them up.

But I found it interesting how Wells see the evolution of man--pretty much we're all going to die out--and how Neffenigger saw it--we're going to evolve into a "higher" species (higher as in have abilities like time traveling).

The only thing I could compare the two books is they both said that after time traveling they felt wretchedly sick. I thought that was interesting. I wonder if she was influenced by Wells' description at all or if it was just conincidence?

Okay, that is all.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah... that might be why there are no posts in this thread other than yours! Heh

message 4: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Well since I finished the dang book I felt I deserved a post! LOL one less book on the half-read pile! whoo hoo!

message 5: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 5 comments I love the Time Machine sooooo much. It was my favorite movie as a child and then I read the book in middle school and found it so perfect.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Really, Lindsey? Please do comment! I didn't care much for it but I've found that other people's insights can help give me new appreciation for things.