Bag of Bones Bag of Bones discussion

Movie Version

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jason Lilly How do you feel about A&E's movie version of the book? I'm not sure about the cast, but based on the darkscorestories.com site, photos, and videos of the movie, it looks promising. This is my favorite King book, so it better be amazing.

Peggy Dec 11 and 12 is circled on the calendar! What I've seen looks good.

It looks like Mike Noonan's literary agent is going to play a big role in the movie and I haven't see any signs yet of the red-headed New York lawyer John who was one of my favorite characters but I'm not expecting a completely literal interpretation.

Did you catch the picture of Stephen King as a child in one of the photos?

Jason Lilly Yes, I did.

R.M. I missed it. Will A&E repeat the movie any time soon?

Jason Lilly You haven't missed it yet. December 11th and 12th at 9:00.

Steve I cannot see Pierce Brosnan in this.

Jason Lilly Yeah, I agree. But I'm still going to see it.

Stacy Hortaridis One of my favorite books. Read it twice. Can't wait to see this:)

Jason Lilly Stacy wrote: "One of my favorite books. Read it twice. Can't wait to see this:)"

Twice? Working on the third time right now. Catch up, girl. Just kidding.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I wonder if the adaptation will cut out a lot of the Bartleby/Melville stuff that helped make the material rise above generic ghost story. I hope not. It's always appreciated when King lets us know that - yes indeed - he taught literature for years and really knows his stuff. (Another really good instance of this is in Needful Things when someone graffitis "Yog Sogoth Rules" - pretty sure that was cut out of the movie!)

Peggy Matthew, that's a good point about literary references being cut. Will be paying special attention to that this time.

Kyle, this is a new movie, made for TV. Not sure where the 2006 reference is from?

Stacy Hortaridis Jason wrote: Twice? Working on the third time right now. Catch up, girl. Just kidding.

Now that the movies coming out, I may need to read it again to compare.

Jason Lilly I can already see some pretty major differences just based on the previews and the web site darkscorestories.com. Not bad differences, necessarily, but noticeable differences.

Stacy Hortaridis I'm going to have to check out that site. If it weren't for this site, I never would have known it was coming out.

Peggy Stacy, check out the darkscorestories.com site. It has lots of pictures from the movie and fun things to find referencing King's other books--like in the bookstore, you'll recognize titles. There's a reference to the lobstrosities . . a picture of King as a child -- lots of good stuff.

message 16: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew I love this book...it has too be one of my favourite stephen king books. Like most of you guys read it loads of times. Im a bit gutted i cant seem to find A&E channel on skt tv in uk or am i just missing it...from the website it certainly does look like a good adaptation.

Jason Lilly I thought this was King's most memorable, especially as far as the writing was concerned. He really has a talent with words and it shows in this book.

Laurie can't wait this was my frist and favorite king book, I have my PVR already set

message 19: by Miloš (last edited Dec 08, 2011 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miloš Well, this was the first Kings book I have read.
And my love for his work starts then and continued until this day.
Beside the Green Mile, this is his best book.

Elena Well. I read this book when I was twelve and it scared the shit out of me. Seriously, I went to bed each night expecting to see Sarah's face hovering over me. It was one singular experience.

Jason Lilly First Stephen King story of mine that scared me was Needful Things because I kept thinking that people really would be that cruel to each other.

11811 (Eleven) I'm looking forward to it but given the history of Mick Garris adapting King's work for the screen, my expectations are low.

11811 (Eleven) Halfway through part one, its corrupting my memory of the novel. Its horribad.

Stepheny I missed it, they are replaying it however throughout the week. I am not sure I will be watching it as I have heard from several huge S.K. fans that it is a complete disasterpiece. First of all, Pierce Brosnan was the worst casting I could ever think of, and you have him falling in love with a girl who is 22/23?? That turns a tragic love story into a creepy stalker story. I also heard they have Mike Noonan's wife getting hit by a bus instead of having an aneurysm... what exactly was the point in changing that?? I dont know how I feel about it and am not sure I can even watch it. I am undecided.

Laurie I liked it so far, my pvr will have the next half when i get home

Jason Lilly Yeah, I watched it... but I will not be bothering with it again. In the first 15 minutes, I was already pretty pissed off. Joe gets hit by a bus instead of dying from a brain anuerysm? And on and on the changes and the disappointments went. No doubt it was a scary movie, but as an adaptation it was one of the worst.

Peggy I liked the movie--I thought the essence of the book was really there. In everything I've read on other sites, no one talks about the music or Anika (Sara Tidwell)'s singing. That was one of the best parts of the movie for me. Actually I thought all of the casting was good. This was a pretty dark (long) book and it had to be hard to translate to a movie without making it so gloomy that no one would want to see it.

Stacy Hortaridis I was very disappointed. Too many changes and the ending was horrible. Liked the book soooo much better.

Stepheny they always slaughter S.K. books because they emphasize the wrong parts. They also always feel a need to make the ending as awful as possible- Dreamcatcher, IT- need I say more?

Stacy Hortaridis they always slaughter S.K. books
So true.

Hatchetgabby they book was way better but the scare scenes still managed to make me jump

message 32: by Carolyn (last edited Dec 18, 2011 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carolyn Pleeeeease tell me the book is better than the miniseries! I recently bought it with the intent to read it beforehand, but got behind. I was really looking forward to the miniseries but was very disappointed with it.

message 33: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee This is one of my favorite Stephen King books and I was really excited about the miniseries but I found I was disappointed as well. I only watched the first part. I kept thinking I needed to go back and re-read the book because the movie wasn't what I remembered.

EDantes Saw the miniseries. Pierce Brosnan was just wrong for the part - wrong age, wrong weight, wrong accent. And even with the two parts, they were moving way too fast to try to get everything in. Bag of Bones has potential to be a good movie - but this wasn't close.

Jason Lilly I think Frank Darabont would have handled it better. So far, all of his adaptations have been outstanding. Not necessarily accurate, but loyal and well done.

Stepheny I was not at all pleased with the casting. He was not convincing at all, the acting seemed half-assed and it felt like everything was poorly thrown together. It felt disconnected somehow. The story was underplayed and poorly executed. I was severly disappointed.

message 37: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin I was so excited to see it, and it was just a joke. Bad casting, and why was it so cheesy? Pierce Brosnan is fine in other roles, but this was not the role for him. And I don't understand why they had such horrible dialogue and overly dramatic moments that weren't supposed to be dramatic.

It was rushed and didn't make sense, and all the suspense and drama of the book was lost.

Jason Lilly Stepheny wrote: "I was not at all pleased with the casting. He was not convincing at all, the acting seemed half-assed and it felt like everything was poorly thrown together. It felt disconnected somehow. The story..."

I agree. Disconnected is an excellent word and that started with me when his wife died by getting hit by a bus.

Shelbie Haeflgier It was ridiculous, very cheesy. I had low expectations when I started watching it and I was still disappointed.

Stepheny Exactly- what was the point of having her get hit by a bus?? It was pointless. Also, if you are going to make Mike be old, then adjust the age of Maddy too. The little girl was too old and acted way too young for her age. But I think the most disappointing part to me was the rock scene. In the book Mike nearly drowns as she heaves rocks at his head; it was one of the most climatic scenes in the book. It was severly underplayed in the movie version, along with Maddy getting shot. I was extremely upset at their potrayal of that scene too. It was a complete disasterpiece.

Carolyn I am glad others noticed the same things. I haven't read the book yet, so I can't comment on how it strayed, but I was really irked that the writers assumed the audience was too stupid not to notice the distracting inconsistencies. And then there was the acting. I actually cringed at Bronsan's performance!

Jason Lilly Carolyn wrote: "I am glad others noticed the same things. I haven't read the book yet, so I can't comment on how it strayed, but I was really irked that the writers assumed the audience was too stupid not to noti..."

Oh, Carolyn, I am worried the movie may have ruined the book for you. Give it a shot and if you can, eliminate all memories of the movie.

Carolyn Thanks, Jason. I still look forward to reading the book.

Stepheny I agree, Jason. The movie may just have ruined it for her. The book was so well written and such a beautiful story. I guess we all had high expectations when I think deep down we knew it would be another horrible potrayal of a Stephen King novel. I still reccommend the book to anyone, even those who are not fans of his. It is truly a gem and a one of kind from him. One of my all time favorites.

message 45: by Lyla (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lyla Bellatas I thought the movie was horrible! I was so excited to watch it and we waded through the first half hoping beyond hope that it would get better but it just got worse! I was laughing at the dialogue midway. Very disappointing!

Genesis Rogers-Lewis I loved the book so much. one of my favs. Hated the movie!!

Tammy Loved the book, could NOT watch the movie. There was at least 6 mins of commercials every 10 mins of movie. And the parts of the movie I saw, awful.. changed parts I was looking forward to seeing and the acting was all wrong.

Jason Lilly Tammy wrote: "Loved the book, could NOT watch the movie. There was at least 6 mins of commercials every 10 mins of movie. And the parts of the movie I saw, awful.. changed parts I was looking forward to seeing a..."

Well said on all counts. Why do so many directors get Stephen King movies wrong? And he doesn't like to interfere with anyone's creative liberties. I would defend my books, especially the great ones.

Tammy Jason wrote: "Tammy wrote: "Loved the book, could NOT watch the movie. There was at least 6 mins of commercials every 10 mins of movie. And the parts of the movie I saw, awful.. changed parts I was looking forwa..."
I've wondered that as well Jason. If it's painful for us as readers to see his books (sometimes) butchered into these awful adaptations, I can't even imagine what it must be like for him.

message 50: by Jason (last edited Jan 23, 2012 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason Lilly He hates it. You should read into his review of Kubrick's version of The Shining.

« previous 1