Amazon Kindle & Fire discussion

Apps, Music, Movies... > Our Favorite Apps

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 23, 2012 04:11AM) (new)

Jennifer | 293 comments Mod
There are going to be tons of apps out there, but which ones are our favorites? Let's compile a list for easy access.

Just for safety's sake, all apps should be found in Amazon's App Store or Kindle Fire Apps

For help finding great apps, check out http://fireapps.blogspot.com/p/free-fire-apps.html

And special mention goes out to the Book Collections app, something every Kindle Fire owner should have!

The List:
Angry Birds
Allrecipies.com
Bejeweled 2
Cut The Rope
Goodreads
Fruit Ninja
Pandora
OfficeSuite Pro
Plants Vs. Zombies
Urbanspoon
Words with Friends

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 15 comments I'm looking forward to:

Angry Birds (to discover what all the hype is about)
Pandora (to bring more music into my life)
AllRecipes (to bring better food to my family)
OfficeSuitePro (so I can find more time to write)

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Those are great! I've added them to the list. And you will LOVE Angry Birds. Give it fifteen minutes and it'll take your life. ;)

message 4: by Anne-Gigi (new)

Anne-Gigi  Chan (pinelakechic) Goodreads app!! :) Also Urbanspoon. I wish OpenTable and Epicurious are also available...

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann | 4 comments Plants vs. zombies

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Ann wrote: "Plants vs. zombies"

Yes! I love that game. ADDED.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 15 comments Oh.My.Gosh. Angry Birds took over my life, lol!

message 8: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 17, 2011 05:22AM) (new)

Beth wrote: "Oh.My.Gosh. Angry Birds took over my life, lol!"

hahah! I knew it! Here's a question: which bird is your favorite?
Another one that looks amazing is Age of Zombies. It has a Zombie T-REX!

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 15 comments They all have their assets. I like the little baby one that explodes into three. He's so cute!

message 10: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 55 comments I don't see the nook app for the fire. I have it on my iPhone. Does any one know if the nook app is available for the fire?

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

I don't see it on the store. Considering the tensions between Amazon and BN, it's very possible that they won't allow each other's apps to be played on their devices.

message 12: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Fruit Ninja is a good game also

I also got age of zombies free. When i was playing fruit ninja i had an alert and it took me to getjar and they had it free :)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments What is this Age of Zombies? Should I Google it? I love zombie games!

message 14: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 18, 2011 02:37PM) (new)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) wrote: "What is this Age of Zombies? Should I Google it? I love zombie games!"

Go ahead and click the link. It'll take you right there! It's a LOT of fun! Age of Zombies

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments Jennifer wrote: "Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) wrote: "What is this Age of Zombies? Should I Google it? I love zombie games!"

Go ahead and click the link. It'll take you right there! It's a LOT of fun! Age of Zombies"

Thanks. Maybe I will check it out if... more like when I get a Fire. I have to wait for the holidays and gift card money :( I already have an app wishlist.

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 55 comments I will have to research about the Nook App for the Fire. There is a Nook app for android, pc, and Iphone etc. Will try to get to the stores today or tomorrow to find out more.

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 15 comments Using the Goodreads app now. very easy!

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Beth wrote: "Using the Goodreads app now. very easy!"

I agree. It's really easy to use. We're glad to be on your Fire, Beth!

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa How do you find some of these apps?? Mine just shows a handful .. do I have to do a search? I've literally only had about 10 minutes to play with it, so I'll have to spend some time with it over the holiday weekend and figure some things out...

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 15 comments I search for them on the Amazon website. There's an entire section dedicated to apps. You can buy them (actually many of them are free), and you just have to download them direclty on your Kindle Fire.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Kaliki wrote: "How do you find some of these apps?? Mine just shows a handful .. do I have to do a search? I've literally only had about 10 minutes to play with it, so I'll have to spend some time with it over th..."

The links at the top of this thread should help you out, Kaliki. They'll take you to the appstore, where you can search, or visit our blog for a good list to get you started. :)

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Thank you!!

message 23: by Rod (last edited Nov 25, 2011 06:02PM) (new)

Rod (terez07) A great, free email client for the Kindle Fire is the K9 Mail app. I downloaded it to manage my gmail account, and I love it! The set up was very easy as well. You should download it from the Amazon app store, but here is more information about its features: https://market.android.com/details?id...

message 24: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments Angry Birds
Wordfeud
That tennis game that was free the other day
AK Notepad
Andoku Sudoku
Contract Killer
Big Time Gangsta
Netflix
Scrabble
Backgammon Free
Comics by Comixology
The Weather Channel
Stupid Zombies (it's like Angry Birds, only with Zombies and a shotgun)

message 25: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments I want my real Gmail app, though. the whole Google family, actually.

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 15 comments Jennifer wrote: "Kaliki wrote: "How do you find some of these apps?? Mine just shows a handful .. do I have to do a search? I've literally only had about 10 minutes to play with it, so I'll have to spend some time ..."

I've been checking the Kindle Fire Department every day. I find it very useful to find free/discounted apps. It also has some great general Kindle Fire information.

message 27: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 29, 2011 06:56AM) (new)

Beth wrote: I've been checking the Kindle Fire Department every day. I find it very useful to find free/discounted apps. It also has some great general Kindle Fire information. "

+1 to this! If there's anything you can do to help spread the word about the site, Beth, we'd appreciate it! :)

message 28: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments I just received a suggestion for the Badass Battery Meter.

Lets you know where your power is disappearing to.

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa stormhawk wrote: "I just received a suggestion for the Badass Battery Meter.

Lets you know where your power is disappearing to."

Ohhh, that's GREAT! I'm going to have to check it out.

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

It does look like a good one!

http://www.amazon.com/GSam-Labs-Badas...

message 31: by Terri (new)

Terri | 14 comments Bejeweled and Words With Friends!

message 32: by Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (last edited Nov 30, 2011 06:47PM) (new)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments I know most of these have probably been said but I like
Allrecipes Dinner Spinner (you can even search for vegan, veg, gluten free etc)
Stupid Zombies (like Angry Birds)
Jelly Defense (free today until midnight Pacific I think?)
and a surprising one:
Aporkalypse - move the pigs puzzle type game. Free or 99 cent version :)

I am looking for recommendations always. I want to know what the best Word Search game is. My mom is getting a Fire and loves them. She needs a large font and a simple or customizable background.

Also is there a solitaire game with a bit larger cards than the Solitaire Free Pack. I like it but my mom commented that the cards are very small.

I also was wondering what everyone's favorite Mahjong was. I downloaded a free one but I haven't tried it yet. I love my Fire. I just got it today! :)

message 33: by Pam G (new)

Pam G (pgarey) Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) wrote: "I know most of these have probably been said but I like
Stupid Zombies (like Angry Birds)
Jelly Defense (free today ..."

My favorite Mahjong is Mahjong Artifacts. 3 different modes of play, great graphics. Love it!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments Pam G wrote: "Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) wrote: "I know most of these have probably been said but I like
Stupid Zombies (like Ang..."

Thank you! I may try that one out. :) I used to play Mahjong games on one of those 1001 games cds but I misplaced it over the years. Will be fun on the touch screen. :)

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

I just got Mahjong Artifacts on Pam's recommendation. Hopefully it teaches me how to play!

http://www.amazon.com/G5-Entertainmen...

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments Jennifer wrote: "I just got Mahjong Artifacts on Pam's recommendation. Hopefully it teaches me how to play!

http://www.amazon.com/G5-Entertainmen..."

It is very easy to learn. I just got the free version for now but I may upgrade later. It looks very nice on my Fire. :)

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 15 comments I downloaded Random Mahjong because it was free. My Mother in Law, who is 80 and a huge electronic Mahjong fan, loved it. Couldn't get it out of her hands over the weekend!

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Burkey-Ran...

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments Thanks Beth. I haven't tried that one yet. I have a lot of games and apps I downloaded and haven't even tried them all. I love Drawing Pad. I want to get one of those nice stylus pens I seen on Amazon. They are made to use with the Fire. Does anyone have one yet?

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

I have the BoxWave, Jen, and I think it's just about perfect. Really handy and easy to use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000...

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments Hey Jennifer, I was looking at the slimline one from the same brand. I think it would come in handy for drawing and apps for taking notes like Evernote. I use evernote for organizing my reading challenges and to read, to buy, to borrow lists. I have kind of fat fingers and it can be tricky editing the lists.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments Anyone know of an app that works like the Sidereel website? I would like an app that lets me keep track of the tv shows I watch. I DVR a lot of shows or watch on Netflix and I like to know how far I am in the series. Sometimes Netflix gets confused when switching between Blu-ray player, laptop and Fire and won't be caught up with the most recent I have seen. Thanks a bunch!

BTW the ten cent sales are awesome. I hope everyone has been taking advantage. I am loving "Where's My Water?" which was only 10 cents earlier today.

message 42: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 13 comments If you want to get the Nook app on your Kindle Fire, download GetJar, then you can download the Nook app from there. I got it, and all my B&N books automatically were there! I sold my Nook a few months ago.

message 43: by Sheila (last edited Dec 14, 2011 12:48PM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I have a favorite app called Cut the Rope. I used to read books on my Kindle. Now I play games.

I have gone so overboard on the apps that I am now getting notifications that space is low :(

My problem is that I get apps for my 8 year old grandson to play and also for my 2 year old grandson. If I moved those to the cloud I would have plenty of space.

I also like one called Beavers Revenge which is an Angry Birds type game only the Beavers are mad at the lumberjacks and thowing things at them. Lots of fun.

message 44: by Jennifer (new)

I love Cut the Rope too, Sheila!

message 45: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments A free game pack app the other day included a copy of Grisly Manor, which is one of those room escape games. I love those, but there aren't enough of them for the fire!

message 46: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I like that one too stormhawk. I loved Myst and my very favorite for pc was one called 7th Guest. I am sure those are telling how old I am because I think 7th Guest was actually in DOS!

message 47: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments I played Colossal Caves on a mainframe. I feel yah.

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Sheila wrote: "I like that one too stormhawk. I loved Myst and my very favorite for pc was one called 7th Guest. I am sure those are telling how old I am because I think 7th Guest was actually in DOS!"

I remember Myst. Can't believe how long ago that was. It's hard to find games like that. One that's kind of similar and worth checking out is Syberia: http://www.amazon.com/Syberia-Pc/dp/B...

message 49: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 15 comments stormhawk wrote: "A free game pack app the other day included a copy of Grisly Manor, which is one of those room escape games. I love those, but there aren't enough of them for the fire!"

I picked that one up and loved it! Maybe with the popularity of the Fire growing, more will become available.

message 50: by Sheila (last edited Dec 26, 2011 07:08AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I am sure many people were excited to unwrap a brand new Fire. If you don't have it yet be sure and grab it today as today's free app of the day

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/?...

Where's my Water by Disney IS THE BEST GAME!!!

CAUTION: THIS GAME WILL TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE!!!!

If you had previously bought it like I had this is an upgrade with new levels added. Sweet game. Enjoy1

« previous 1