Book Haven discussion

Kindle > Can you delete ebooks off your Kindle permanently?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) I have a Kindle which I never leave the house without, I download alot of ebooks and format them so I get them free. I use software called Calibre and you can permenantely delete them directly from the Kindle or from your library.....like an ipod really. Hope this helps.

message 2: by Shiran (new)

Shiran | 32 comments It doesn't matter where you get your books from you can permanently delete them off your kindle. When you hit delete on the kindle it even give you one of those messages that asks you if you're sure you want to "permanently" delete the book off your kindle.

The only reason why I would imagine someone said that they couldn't is that when you download books from your amazon account they stay on your account even if you delete them off your kindle. Which is great because it means that if you delete them off or get a new kindle you can still get the book again without paying for it twice.

message 3: by Shiran (new)

Shiran | 32 comments Yeah I'm sure that's what they meant, cause you can definitely delete them off your Kindle. :P I'm actually not sure, I've never thought to ask. I do know if you delete the account you lose all the books so I assume if you delete them off the account it would do the same.

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 148 comments When you delete books from your actual Kindle, they are removed from your Kindle but they remain in the Archives at Amazon. If you want them permanently deleted from your account, you have to go to Amazon.com, Manage Your Kindle, and delete them from there. But I can't imagine why you would want to delete them permanently. You can leave them stored in your Archives on Amazon and they will still be available to you, but no longer on your Kindle.

message 5: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments How much does a Kindle cost to run a month? Since they are portable they must have a satellite connection. I have a regular computer. It's all I can afford. Unless I could get both high speed telephone line and satellite in a package.

message 6: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments There is no monthly charge for the 3G. The price is essentially included in the cost of books you download. How much you spend on your Kindle per month is totally up to how much paid content you download. If all you download is free content, then your monthly cost is $0.

There is no charge for using the 3G for web browsing.

It's not like the iPad. You don't pay a subscription to a phone company to use it.

message 7: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments What I mean is like with a laptop. Is there a charge other than your basic highspeed computer. I have a plug in the phone line computer. So to use a Kindle or a laptop I would have to get extra satelite service. I am just curious what that extra service costs. I get that browzing around on 3-G is free. But to be able to use 3-G there has to bee some extra charge I am thinking.

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 148 comments I believe the Kindle 3G works off cell phone towers, just like the 3G phones. but there is no charge for your Kindle to do this.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Agreed with Patricia. I've had my kindle for almost 3 years and I've used it everywhere. You do not need access to internet as long as you get the 3G kindle. You do not need extra satellite service or anything like that. It uses its own internet and as long as it has access to a cell tower (and I haven't found a place yet where it didn't) it will be open for downloading. I've downloaded books while my internet/phone/power was down and read by the light of a flashlight while I waited for the power to come back. The wifi kindle requires internet access but can be used on any wifi network, e.g. you could stop at Starbucks for your coffee and download a book off their service while you were there so you would only need a wifi connection at home if you did a lot of downloading at home.

message 10: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments Cool thanks so much for enlightening me. I'm thinking well I can afford a Kindle no problem. But I don't need another monthly bill to pay. : )

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane (dyniy) | 83 comments Sally, if you are worried about filling up your memory you should get a Fire. Then you can utilize the cloud feature on it & you don't have to worry about space. Another option is if you get a Nook you can just throw in a memory card which also gives you infinite memory space. I have a Nook Color & I absolutely Love it. But I am really looking a the Fire because it really looks great. I'm going to wait until it has been out there for awhile to see what kind of feedbackk it gets. If you talk to a Kindle owner they swear by them and when you talk to a Nook owner they say the same. Have fun either way.

message 12: by stormhawk (last edited Nov 26, 2011 10:07AM) (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments If you choose a Fire, you really should have wifi. You can load content using your computer, but it adds an extra step to the process. Of course, you could use needing wifi as an excuse to go to Starbucks more often ...

The b&w Kindles have so much memory that it is unlikely that you will ever fill one.