Q&A with Rhi Etzweiler discussion

Book-Related Subjects > More Trans Resources & Links

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhi (new)

Rhi Etzweiler (rhianonetzweiler) | 255 comments Mod
From Trans Alliance Society, a thesis paper accessible in PDF format for download. Titled "Redefining Gender & Sex: Educating for Trans, Transgender, & Intersexual Access & Inclusion to Sexual Assault Centers & Transition Houses" -- please don't let the title throw you off. Chapter One is about "Transgressions of Gender & Sex in 'Women-Only' Spaces" and challenges the concepts and application of biological determinism.

message 2: by Rhi (new)

From the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition, a few definitions:

A person's Gender Identity is how someone identifies his/her own gender -- a person's inner sense of 'being' male or female. Most people, but not all, have a gender identity of 'man' or 'woman' which is also consistent with their assigned sex at birth. There are some people who feel their assigned sex at birth is not consistent with their own gender identity.

A person's Gender Expression refers to how a person expresses their gender identity, or the cues people use to identify another person's gender. This can include clothing, mannerisms, makeup, behavior, speech patterns, and more. There are some in society whose gender expression does not conform to traditional gender stereotypes what men or women should look or act.

Transgender is an umbrella term for people who transition from one gender to another and/or people who defy social expectations of how they should look, act, or identify based on their birth sex. This can include a range of people including: male-to-female (MTF) or female-to-male (FTM) transsexual people and, more generally, anyone whose gender identity or expression differs from conventional expectations of masculinity or femininity. Some transgender people experience their gender identity as incongruent with anatomical sex at birth.

Traditional Gender Stereotypes: Culturally defined code of acceptable behavior for men and women. Men/boys are to exhibit masculine gender presentation, behaviors, and social roles and women/girls are to exhibit feminine gender presentation, behaviors, and social roles.

message 3: by Rhi (new)

Gender Identity vs. Sexuality

Gender Identity vs. Sexuality

Often people confuse gender identity with sexual orientation, for instance, thinking that a trans person's sexual orientation is defined by their assigned gender, not their true identity (eg. thinking an MtoF with a male partner is a gay man, or that an FtoM with a male partner is a straight woman). Myths about trans people and gay people have been used to pit our communities against each other.

Lesbian/bisexual women are told that they "just wish they were men" and trans people are told "you're just gay/lesbian". In asserting who we really are, and correcting people about their assumptions, we must be clear that we all deserve respect. (eg. "No, I'm not a lesbian, because I'm not a woman, although if I were a lesbian, I would be proud!" or "No, I don't 'want to be a man', but if I were a transsexual, I would be proud!")

Gender identity is about who we are, on our own. Sexual orientation is about who we relate to sexually and/or romantically. Trans people, like everyone else, come from all different sexual orientations, as well as economic classes, ethnicities, and abilities. In the past, some medical professionals working with transsexual people have insisted that transition includes the alignment of "proper" sexual orientation; for example, trans women were supposed to be with men, and trans men were supposed to be with women. It was seen as a success when a transsexual completed a heterosexual partnership, because this meant that they were fulfilling their proper gender role. Queer trans people have been debunking the myth of the superiority of heterosexuality within our communities and with the medical professionals who work with us.

Some people (trans and non-trans) don't use terms like gay, bisexual or heterosexual to describe themselves because these categories seem to be based on a two-gender system that they don't fit into or believe in; for this or other reasons they may not identify with the as-yet-defined labels, or may use terms such as queer or pansexual. The term “queer” is also used generally to refer to any lgbt people.

message 4: by Rhi (new)

Why do transgender people need legal protections?

Transgender people (in Massachusetts) face high levels of discrimination and violence because of widespread prejudice and the assumption that transgender people are "outside" of the law's protections. This bill amends both non-discrimination laws and hates crime laws in order to comprehensively make clear that transgender individuals have equal protection under the law.
The baseline rates of discrimination against transgender people are consistently high. A review of six studies conducted between 1996 and 2006, in cities and regions on both coasts and the Midwest, showed the following ranges for experiences of discrimination based on gender identity(1):

13%-56% of transgender people had been fired
13%-47% had been denied employment
22%-31% had been harassed, either verbally or physically, in the workplace

(1) Badgett, M.V., Lau, Sears, and Ho. Bias in the Workplace: Consistent Evidence of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Discrimination. Los Angeles: The Williams Institute. June 2007.

message 5: by Rhi (last edited Nov 14, 2011 08:22PM) (new)

An exhaustive list of detailed terms and definitions can also be found here along with a list of related links for specific subject matters if you wish more in-depth content.

T-Vox also has some educational content, though most of what's there is geared toward resources not focused on awareness but assistance.

message 6: by Rhi (new)

The content on the Academic Transgender Studies Website is two years old, but covers a broad range of related subject matters, including theoretical perspectives, various perceptions of transgenders in cultures spanning the globe, and a breakdown of contemporary trans* issues in the US -- including activism, health, and strategies for reducing phobia.

message 7: by Rhi (last edited Nov 14, 2011 09:13PM) (new)

For those of you who are coming here and wondering what all the fuss is about, why these trans people are so upset, are running away, hiding, and not stepping up:

While large strides have been made in terms of GLB equality in recent years, the same cannot be said for TQ individuals' rights and interests:

"Gender Identity Disorder (GID) was entered into the American Psychological Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) in 1980, then called Transsexualism. The category was renamed Gender Identity Disorder in 1994 (sometimes called Gender Dysphoria). GID classifies transgenderism and all other atypical gender identities as a mental illness. Transvestic Fetishism (TF) is the diagnostic category in the DSM of cross-dressing, usually heterosexual, males. It is considered a sexual fetish and paraphilia. Depending on sources, it may or may not be portrayed as a potentially dangerous sexual deviancy that will escalate to violent behavior. Diagnosing atypical gender identity makes a statement that there is something inherently wrong with queer gender and it needs to be 'fixed.' GID is applied not only to adults but also to children and is often used as a method of anticipating homosexuality in adulthood. "Treatment" of gender-variant people is determined by the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care (commonly called The Standards of Care). These 'standards' limit people's freedom of choice and agency and are applied in heteronormative ways and pathologize normal behavior." (Stringer, 2007)

It is the above definition, for instance, that prevents trans individuals from serving in the US Armed Forces, because those with "mental disorders" are disqualified from service. Get the low-down on the latest efforts for psychiatric reform here at Gender Identity Disorder Reform Advocates whose subtext reads because our identities are not disordered.

message 8: by Amara (new)

Amara (amarasplace) | 14 comments I just want to go on record and say...

Thanks for posting all of this. Thanks much much.

message 9: by Rhi (new)

It's just block-copied from the sources, really. But I hope having it available here will help. I guess even if it only helps one person, that's enough for me.

I welcome anyone else to share resources, links, or articles either here or on my tumblr, All Things Trans.

message 10: by Rhi (new)

@Lisa: I have absolutely no issue with this thread being a Q&A space. I'm sure you won't be the only one with questions, and not everyone will be brave enough to speak up and ask.

message 11: by Rhi (new)

LOL @Lisa. Okay, perhaps I should have worded that as, "not everyone will think to ask"...

message 12: by Amara (new)

Amara (amarasplace) | 14 comments Rhianon wrote: "LOL @Lisa. Okay, perhaps I should have worded that as, "not everyone will think to ask"..."

I have the bravery problem.

message 13: by Amara (new)

Amara (amarasplace) | 14 comments Lisa wrote: "Amara wrote: "Rhianon wrote: "LOL @Lisa. Okay, perhaps I should have worded that as, "not everyone will think to ask"..."

I have the bravery problem."

Really...you seem very brave from your posts."

I do? Um... *whispers* what posts? lol

message 14: by Amara (new)

Amara (amarasplace) | 14 comments Morg wrote: "Amara. Got a question? Ask it. Or I'll kick it out of you (lovingly). ;)"

Lolol. My head is spinning with so many these days, I don't even know how to grab one to ask.

But when I do, I'll ask. (doooon't kick me ;-p ) lol

message 15: by Sarasaya (new)

Sarasaya Hello! :)
Um... sorry, I just wanted to know if I can link this post to my m/m Italia group.
I would like to share this informations with them, it could help a lot.

Thank you for this discussion. Really.

message 16: by Amara (new)

Amara (amarasplace) | 14 comments Sarasaya wrote: "Hello! :)
Um... sorry, I just wanted to know if I can link this post to my m/m Italia group.

Thank you for this discussion...."

*waves* Hi Sarasaya :D

message 17: by Sarasaya (new)

Sarasaya LOL, hey Amara, nice to meet you here, too. You're starting to hate me.. :D

message 18: by Amara (new)

Amara (amarasplace) | 14 comments Sarasaya wrote: "LOL, hey Amara, nice to meet you here, too. You're starting to hate me.. :D"

Lol, nope. I like you bunches. :D

message 19: by Sarasaya (last edited Nov 15, 2011 01:33PM) (new)

Sarasaya Morg - I'm everywhere. And I'm not drunk, love, I'm "normal" like this ;)

And you just helped me to know what I am (well, I know what I am, you just gave that a name) with your previous post, thanks!
*Hugs*

Amara - Like you, too.:)

message 20: by Amara (new)

Amara (amarasplace) | 14 comments Morg wrote: "We've totally taken over Rhis group."

It's a take over W00T! \o/

message 21: by Rhi (new)

Sarasaya wrote: "Hello! :)

Thank you for this discussion...."

@Sarasaya Please help yourself, feel free to link to or share whatever you'd like. This isn't about controlling the conversation, it's about sharing information and creating some visibility that will hopefully lead to understanding and tolerance.

message 22: by Rhi (new)

Oh wow! Thanks so much for sharing this, Morg. It looks like I've got another one to add to my TBR pile. Not that it isn't already teetering Jenga-style and threatening to fall over.

message 23: by Sarasaya (new)

Sarasaya Rhianon wrote: "Sarasaya wrote: "Hello! :)

Thank you for..."

Thank you! :)

message 24: by Rhi (new)

I haven't read through this yet, but I've every intention of doing so when I can get a spare minute or ten:

United Academics Journal of Social Sciences, Sept/Oct 2011 issue: Gender Roles & Sexual Identity.

message 25: by Rhi (new)

Also, check out this group that Aleksandr Voinov has set up to be trans* and genderqueer writer/reader friendly:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5...