Creative Reviews discussion

?'s for the Members of CR > Writers Block!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments I believe I am suffering from what we call writers block. I have a bunch of ideas for promoting flowing but no idea how to get them started. It would seem if I can get priorities straight and figured out I wont have this problem but until then how does one get something such as a book trailer or the good word of a book out?

message 2: by Patti (new)

Patti Roberts | 123 comments sometimes i skip to another chapter when I'm having trouble with the next one in line. Most of the time I will go to bed and think about how i think the plot/chapter would/should go and picture it in my mind like a movie, what would work best, how would a particular character respond/react... what would make it more exciting or give the reader more insight. I do the same thing in the morning before i get up. And you know what, most of the time I find an answer... I hope some of that helps. I also believe that if you feel you have writers block then you are thinking about it all wrong... on the wrong path so to speak. Sometimes you have to trash a chapter and start afresh :)

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Trailers can be done at www.indiedesignz.com at a fair price and she is AMAZING!
As for promoting, bookblogs.ning, librarything.com, go to groups that specialize in your writing (but of course still stay with us!), tweet, facebook, it's all about networking!

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Justin, the best thing to promote yourself and your books is start writing the next book! :-)
Happy writing!

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments Jenn aka Texas Long Hair wrote: "Trailers can be done at www.indiedesignz.com at a fair price and she is AMAZING!
As for promoting, bookblogs.ning, librarything.com, go to groups that specialize in your writing (but of course stil..."

Alright I'll check em out. Thank you Jenn. :)

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments Barbara wrote: "Justin, the best thing to promote yourself and your books is start writing the next book! :-)
Happy writing!"

Ive heard this is a way to go Barbara, I am starting to write my next book but im still focused on my current one.

message 7: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Justin I second what Jenns said. Network! Twitter, FB and all the other sites she mentioned. Its all about getting your name out there. But don't just go into a new group and start telling about your book. talk to other people about themselves and get to know them. they will then like you (like we do!) and ask you about yourself and your stuff. then you will get a sale! its time consuming but worthwhile.

And Dafeenah is amazing for trailers. And you can make one yourself too!

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments I just checked out those websites. Indiedesignz looks and sounds nice but not really what im looking for. The other two, Bookblogs and Librarything seem good to get into I just gotta organize stuff before becoming a member for anything..u can get confused as to what ur a member of and stuff! lol.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Eboch (chriseboch) Publicity can be overwhelming because there are so many things you could do and are "supposed to do," and it's impossible to decide which will be most effective for you. So just pick one -- the easiest, the one that sounds most interesting, or the one that happens to be at the top of your list. Focus on it for a week or two. Then try something else.

As you go on, some tasks you will finish (like a book trailer). For the ones that are ongoing (like discussion boards, blogging, twitter) some you may decide to drop because they don't seem that effective or interesting, and that's fine. Eventually you'll know which ones work for you.

Kris Bock

message 10: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Chris wrote: "Publicity can be overwhelming because there are so many things you could do and are "supposed to do," and it's impossible to decide which will be most effective for you. So just pick one -- the eas..."

Great advice!

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments Chris wrote: "Publicity can be overwhelming because there are so many things you could do and are "supposed to do," and it's impossible to decide which will be most effective for you. So just pick one -- the eas..."

I couldn't have said it better myself. Your right I want new blogs and stuff but not so many that im left confused, so well said. I keep this group and Horror Afictionados group cause its always helpful and the people are great.

message 12: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments great comment Chris!