Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book republished as part of a series

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Shaw (kcshaw) | 3 comments I'm still quite new to librarianing, so I'm afraid to mess something up. I'm not sure how to fix this one. The book in question was first published in 1963, then in the 1970s the author wrote a series of four books with some of the same characters. The 1963 book was republished in 1995 under a different title as the fifth book of the series. Should the 1963 edition remain separate from the series, and only the republished edition be added to the series, or should the 1963 edition and the 1995 edition be combined (that seems drastic, but it may be correct). Thanks!

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 14, 2011 12:20PM) (new)

As far as I know you need to keep it seperate. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though. Also you are technically not a Librarian because it would say you are one on your profile but it doesn't. :(

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments How different are the 1963 book and the 1995 book? If all that is different is the title then yes, they should be combined.

message 4: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Shaw (kcshaw) | 3 comments Hmm, weird, I've been granted librarian status for a few months now and sometimes edit. I don't know why it doesn't say I am one.

I haven't read both editions, just the original. I'll see if I can chase down the 1995 edition and compare them.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 14, 2011 12:26PM) (new)

I'll look at it what is the book title?

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments K.C. wrote: "Hmm, weird, I've been granted librarian status for a few months now and sometimes edit. I don't know why it doesn't say I am one.

I haven't read both editions, just the original. I'll see if I c..."

If you can that would be great.

message 7: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I think it's because you're a Goodreads author. I think GR authors are automatically granted Librarian status, and thus does not need to be shown on your profile.

message 8: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Shaw (kcshaw) | 3 comments The 1963 edition is Cobbler's Dream by Monica Dickens, which was republished as New Arrival at Follyfoot. Thanks.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm I can't seem to find it. Just leave it like it is for now.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments §cott ~Goodreads Librarian~ wrote: "Hmm I can't seem to find it. Just leave it like it is for now."

Scott, I asked her to compare her copy with the other if she can find one.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 14, 2011 12:36PM) (new)

Okay.

p.s. Jessica how do you look at all librarian edits? I can't seem to figure it out.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43572 comments Mod
vicki_girl wrote: "I think it's because you're a Goodreads author. I think GR authors are automatically granted Librarian status, and thus does not need to be shown on your profile."

Author have certain librarian privileges, but not all.

message 13: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments So what happens if a person is already a librarian, then becomes a GR author (just out of curiosity)?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

oohhh okay I was wondering because I have seen some other people who have changed things but it didn't say they were a Librarian..

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments vicki_girl wrote: "I think it's because you're a Goodreads author. I think GR authors are automatically granted Librarian status, and thus does not need to be shown on your profile."

Goodreads authors have limited abilities to edit their own books. They can't combine books, edit a series or change any books without their exact author name.

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43572 comments Mod
vicki_girl wrote: "So what happens if a person is already a librarian, then becomes a GR author (just out of curiosity)?"

The reverse can happen too. Either way, the user would have both general librarian privileges and author privileges on their books.