The Lost Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (last edited Jan 08, 2012 11:02AM) (new)

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 3560 comments Mod
FAQ

1. How long does this last? About how many books does this involve?
I hope it doesn't go longer then 4 months. But this is just a test round for the team challenge. The list of items is long but i'm going to do 10 items. The reason the items list long so there is more to pick from.

2. Are we free to start looking for anything on the list or are we looking for them in order?
Yes you can but no reading until I say what item you are looking for

message 2: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

How can I help you?

message 3: by Katya (new)

Katya okay dumb question....I see the list...Do each of us have to read a different category from the long list and you will pick a new list each week? Is the object to select as many of the items as possible....with each of us picking something different? or can we double up? Am I getting this right? Or do we all read the same books? I little clueless here....don't be afraid...I'll get it.

message 4: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

We are keeping the same list each week andbon Sundays I pick a item by using a ramdomzier and each memeber of the team has ti find a book with that item on the cover or character or in the title. Ex if the item is vampire you could read
Vampire Academy cause the word vampire is in the title
Or Dead to the World cause there is a vampire on the cover
or Dead in the Family cause Eric is a vampire

I hoped that helped

message 5: by Katya (new)

Katya Thanks that is helpful....So we each read one book based on that item starting each Sunday when you pick it.

message 6: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Yup

message 7: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) I didn't see where you mentioned which Sunday this began. (I'm usually blind.) Is it today or next Sunday...or a date that I am completely unaware of?

message 8: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Next Sunday and stil working on end date.

message 9: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) Cool, thanks. :)

message 10: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Is there a time limit to each item? Once you post do we have to have our book to be read posted in a certain time frame? Do we have to read it in a certain time frame? Or is it just whenever we all get it done then we get the points, even if it takes a month for all of us to finish?

message 11: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

One book pre item and no you can read at your own past and when everyone is done reading their book is when you get the point and I hope it doesn't take a month but if it does that is fine. I'm going to do haft the items this round and next round do the other haft.

message 12: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Sounds great. I hope it doesn't take a month either, I was exaggerating my worst case serious.

message 13: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 2502 comments ❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "One book pre item and no you can read at your own pase. I'm going to do haft the items this round and next round do the other haft. "

Ok now I'm confused. You're going to choose half the items the first time. There are 30 items on the list so does that mean we each have to read 15 books for the challenge?

message 14: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Barbara, I think you are right. 15 books over 15 weeks.

message 15: by Katya (last edited Jan 14, 2012 06:49PM) (new)

Katya Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "Barbara, I think you are right. 15 books over 15 weeks."

A book a week.....I can do that.

What I am wondering is when she posts the item...what if each of us grabs the same book to read?

Why am I so confused? I am actually kinda embarrassed to ask questions....I sorta get it but feel like a big dummy. I had just planned to step back and watch to see what every one else does and figure this challenge out. lol

message 16: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) There are no dumb questions.

It is new to all of us so there are bound to be questions about protocols.

I don't think reading the same book would be a problem. The goal is for each of us to find the item. I don't think it matters if we find the same item. (Lizz please correct me if I am wrong.) I think it would be cool then you have someone to discuss the book with right away.

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) The trick will be to NOT let yourself get too far behind. Try to find and read your book during the week it is posted. That way your team will get their point for that item quickly.

The last week will be a rush to see which team can find a book, get it read, and post the quickest. Providing, of course, that all the other points have been awarded.

message 18: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 2502 comments Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "Barbara, I think you are right. 15 books over 15 weeks."

Thanks Dawn, that makes sense. I guess I didn't read the instructions carefully enough.

message 19: by Dana (last edited Jan 15, 2012 03:25PM) (new)

Dana (erato) OK Lizz my dear...I'm needing some guidance before we are 'officially' doing this here thing. ;)

In regard to how the point system works:

Do we only need to look for a book that matches the topic listed for the week? i.e., if today's topic is 'shifters' and I read a shifter book that will only count for one point?

OR, if I read a 'shifter' book that also has a 'lone female' on the cover and where the cover is 'purple' and the book is a 'urban fantasy' do we get 4 points for the book I read? Is that the objective? to read a book that fits the current weeks category but that ALSO fits into other categories so that we get as many points possible?

If it is only the one point per person per week, then I am really not understanding the point system b/c each week we would all have the same score. The only challenge would be to read the book, right? Am I getting this?

message 20: by Dana (last edited Jan 15, 2012 03:55PM) (new)

Dana (erato) OK, I'm going to give an example so everyone understands that garbage I just wrote. Hang on one sec...

The item called today is 'shifters'. I decide to read
Blood Hunt (Sentinel Wars, #5) by Shannon K. Butcher
for my book this week since one of the group leaders in this book is a shifter. For this book I will get a point for my team BUT...I will also get 3 additional points b/c there is a lone male on the cover, the cover is purple, and the main character on the cover is a vampire.

(If what I am thinking above is correct, the following is an idea/suggestion. If the above is not correct, it is dumb so disregard.)

Now lets say another of my team wants to read this same book. (Different week or that same week.) That works but they wouldn't get all the same points. My teamate would get the point for reading that week AND she also noticed that the book was an 'urban fantasy' and she earned another point. So between the two of us we would have earned 6 points for that week.

Dana read Blood Hunt:
1 'shifter' book for Dana's shifter week
2 +1 point for 'vampire'
3 +1 point for 'purple cover'
4 +1 point for 'lone male'

My team member also read Blood Hunt:
5 'shifter' book for my team member
6 +1 point for 'urban fantasy'

Did that make sense? Is that anywhere near what we are doing?

(OK, this is where I admit that I am hoping it is more like this since it will force us to really LOOK for books that fit in many categories to stay competitive. BUT, the game is going to be fun regardless! C= )

message 21: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) OK Dana, I see your point. If we all do read our 1 book for the week we will have the same points until the end and it will just be a race to post on that last week .

It would be harder to keep track of, but I am willing to help Lizz if she needs it and decides to go your way.

The one thing your plan is missing is that the team only gets points when everyone finds the item. So for your book you get 1/6th of a point for shifter, 1/6th a point for purple and so on. The "TEAM" doesn't get a full point until all 6 (or 7)all get the item.

message 22: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Where oh where is Lizz? So many questions running through my head now.

And I just finished my book. I need to know what to read next!

message 23: by Dana (last edited Jan 15, 2012 04:50PM) (new)

Dana (erato) Ohhhhh, I see what you are saying Dawn!

So in that scenario we each are trying to check off everything on the master list. So as I read my books, I may have checked off 4 things with that week, but I need to check them all off while still reading a book that is appropriate for each week. That would really make it a race wouldn't it? Would the game end when every team member has read books that hit all items on the master list? (Six checkmarks for each item?)

That sounds more like a scavenger hunt then what I was thinking for sure. Where is that Lizz?

Lizz honey? Yoo-hooooooo!!!

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments For the color ones, how much of the color has to be on the cover for it to count?

message 25: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) It needs to be the primary or most notable color on the cover. I would also think (Lizz or Dawn, chime in here) that if the cover was basically all black or white and there was a big slash of color on the cover, that would count as well. Since it would stand out so well and make you 'see' that color so vividly.

Do you have one in particular that you were wondering about?

message 26: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) I concur Dana, Orange the primary color. Or the dominate color on a black or white base.

message 27: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Ok sorry everyone this has been a really bad weekend but it is getting better

message 28: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Sorry to hear Lizz. Hope it stays better. We missed you!

message 29: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Dana wrote: "OK, I'm going to give an example so everyone understands that garbage I just wrote. Hang on one sec...

for my ..."

That idea would work better

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments Can someone please answer my question? Is this counted as an orange cover? The fairies around the girl are like orangey-red...

So Silver Bright (Théâtre Illuminata, #3) by Lisa Mantchev

message 31: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "There are no dumb questions.

It is new to all of us so there are bound to be questions about protocols.

I don't think reading the same book would be a problem. The goal is for each of us to f..."

And you can read the same book as other team members

message 32: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) Sorry Amy, I thought my answer above covered it. :(

Lizz might have a diff opinion on this one, but I would say no. This would work for blue cover though when we do that!

message 33: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ wrote: "Can someone please answer my question? Is this counted as an orange cover? The fairies around the girl are like orangey-red...

So Silver Bright (Théâtre Illuminata, #3) by Lisa Mantchev"

That is more of a blue cover like Dana said sorry about that Amu

message 34: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ wrote: "Can someone please answer my question? Is this counted as an orange cover? The fairies around the girl are like orangey-red...

So Silver Bright (Théâtre Illuminata, #3) by Lisa Mantchev"

That is more of a blue cover like Dana said sorry about that Amy

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments Dana wrote: "Sorry Amy, I thought my answer above covered it. :(

Lizz might have a diff opinion on this one, but I would say no. This would work for blue cover though when we do that!"

Okay

message 36: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Orange books are here.

message 37: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Thanks Dawn

message 38: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) ❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "Dana wrote: "OK, I'm going to give an example so everyone understands that garbage I just wrote. Hang on one sec...

[bookcover:Blood Hunt|964..."

um... so does that mean we get credit for more than one thing in the book? If we are going with more than one item /book/per week I have lots more questions.
The book I picked this week has an orange cover and a lone female. Do I get credit for both or just the orange cover? Would there be a limit to how meny items per book?If I found a Paranormal Romance with Vampires, Werewolves, Fae, a Witch and a Demon could I get 6 items from that one book? Can I get credit for more than one book? I have an orange book about gods I could read this week and an orange vampire book, If I read all 3 this week would I get the extra points? If I read a book that wasn't orange but had a vampire would I get Vamp credit and not orange credit.

(and of course all those "credits" and "points" would just be partials, waiting for the rest of my team to find them too. )

message 39: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

You would get points for both the cover and lone female but wont get the points until the whole team reads the item

message 40: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

And I would say 6 is a good limit and

message 41: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Let me think about the extra points

message 42: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Dana wrote: "OK, I'm going to give an example so everyone understands that garbage I just wrote. Hang on one sec...

for my ..."

If we are going to this way we will find all 30th items

message 43: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "Dana wrote: "OK, I'm going to give an example so everyone understands that garbage I just wrote. Hang on one sec...

[b..."

I'm going to make a master list with all the items and who got the points and who is working on the points and share it with y'all so y'all can keep up with points too. And let me know if I missed anything.

message 44: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Ok this week the only point the counts is orange but if it has another item or items in it or on it will still count will the item is called.

Ex
I'm reading Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead it will count this week cause it is orange. And it has a lone fells and has feas but they won't count until they are called.

I hoped that helped

message 45: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "Dana wrote: "OK, I'm going to give an example so everyone understands that garbage I just wrote. Hang on one sec...

[b..."

Ok Dawn how would you work in the extra points in to the game?

message 46: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) My opinion is not to do extra points or more than one book. But if we were going to I would say still only up to 50 points.

If my first book is orange/ lone female I get credit for both items. If I read a second orange book that week with a goddess, I only get credit for the goddess because I already got credit for orange. I think for any book to get credit it would have to meet the given criteria for the week. Meaning after my first orange book I cant read a purple book to get credit, only another orange book.

I think it will be harder to track, and not really fair for slower readers to allow more than one book a week. In my opinion one book per person per week but they can find up to 6 items in that one book. I would offer (like in scattergories) to let items be replaced. For example if my first book of the week is orange cover and lone female I get my credit for both then if later that week I read an orange cover with a goddess, vampires and shifters I could choose to replace my book loosing my lone female credit getting goddess, vampire and shifter.

Just my thoughts.

message 47: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "My opinion is not to do extra points or more than one book. But if we were going to I would say still only up to 50 points.

If my first book is orange/ lone female I get credit for both items. If..."

The replacing idea is good. I thank that would work

message 49: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Just to make sure it is clear to me. (I know a few scenarios have been tossed out)

We are just getting credit for 1 book a week right? We can replace it if we find a better book, but still only credit for one book.

message 50: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Yes one credit but you can replace

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.