Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Realms of the Elderlings Series > ASSASSIN'S QUEST - Plot, characters, etc.**POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments How did you feel about the plot progression, the quest, the development of characters, etc.

I was very relieved when Fitz found a community of people who know 'The Wit' is normal and that his relationship with Nighteyes is ok.

I've read reviews dissing the 'deux ex machina' of the use of the dragons. Did any of you feel that way?

Those of you rooting for Regal's demise - did he get what he deserved?

Any other issues that enthralled you or annoyed you?

message 2: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 51 comments I had no problem at all with the 'deus ex machina', since it's chekov's machina from the beginning. And it's not 'here's some stuff and then *poof* the dragons solve everything', it's 'let's spend three long novels working toward getting the dragons to solve anything (we don't know that they're going to be dragons, but we know we're working toward SOMETHING)'. The quest earns the miracle.

I did have a problem with the way that, once the DEM comes along, everything gets wrapped up in double-quick time as though the author has lost interest. It's a brilliant last page and last line, but the ten or twenty pages leading up to it felt very rushed and half-hearted.

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen I loved it, and as Wastrel says the whole trilogy was working towards bringing back the Elderlings.

Regal's demise was interesting, I liked that Fitz effectively killed him without hurting the git or himself. I'd have loved to see him going out of his way to help those he hated!

I also liked the part when Fitz was gob-smacked by the wakening Elderlings and Nighteyes took over offering kills and to be pack with them. Love that wolf.

message 4: by Christy (new)

Christy Martin Bullock | 12 comments I agree with Wastrel, it was all to neat and tidy towards the end. Some 700+ pages and Hobb essentially wraps it up in about 70 pages....However, I still loved the trilogy and consider it one of my favorites for the year.

I've also decided that my next dog will be named Nighteyes:)

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Christy wrote: "I agree with Wastrel, it was all to neat and tidy towards the end. Some 700+ pages and Hobb essentially wraps it up in about 70 pages....However, I still loved the trilogy and consider it one of my..."

:) I like that.