Authors, readers, bloggers, reviewers, publisher group discussion

How do you promote your books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've published paperbacks at Createspace and ebooks at Amazon and B&N. My financial resources are slim, I cannot afford advertising, thus my sales are very low. I've tried giveaways here at Goodreads, I've mailed 5 books to winners and so far only one recipient replied back with a thank you and she wrote that she's reading my book and is willing to write a review. I published one of my short ebooks at a read free website, my book was downloaded 1300 times, and so far I got 6 likes and about 22 people added it to their library. Do you have better ideas how to promote without spending lots of money? Please share your ideas with us.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 14 comments Well let me think! I could help you out! I love to help authors who need it! I am starting a blog and have lots of friends who already have some. Remind me which books you are wanting help with and I'll put the word out for you! :)

message 3: by Jex (last edited Nov 15, 2011 10:17PM) (new)

Jex (jexball) Blog tours! There are a million book bloggers out there, find a blog, ask the blogger to review your book or do an author interview or come up with an eye catching guest post. Anything that gets word out on your book. Not to mention book bloggers are the ones that are going to post reviews on just about every site. The average reader may read the reviews, but they aren't as likely to write one.

By dong a blog tour you can create hype by traveling from blog to blog promoting your book in different ways. One blog will hold an interview, one a giveaway, etc. The hype spreads, not to mention every blog involved will be advertising all the other blogs you'll be posting on.

Check out some blogs, see what other authors are posting, and just do anything and everything to get your title heard!

P.S. - Shameless plug: I run Everything and Nothing and am always willing to feature an author even if I don't have the time to do a review.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 15, 2011 10:22PM) (new)

Jex wrote: "Blog tours! There are a million book bloggers out there, find a blog, ask the blogger to review your book or do an author interview or come up with an eye catching guest post. Anything that gets wo..."

Hey Jex,

I like your blog alot. I had no idea you put my books there! Thank you! If you ever think people will be interested I'd be happy to provide your followers/members with codes for free e-books : )

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Well let me think! I could help you out! I love to help authors who need it! I am starting a blog and have lots of friends who already have some. Remind me which books you are wanting help with and..."

Hi Stephanie,

I'm trying to get the word out on this one: The Betrayals of Grim's Peak by Sean J. Quirk
It's for kids and teens mostly, but also adults like me who'll never grow up : )

Any help at all would be appreciated.

message 6: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) Every book I get gets on the blog somehow :-)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

It's very well put together. Your blog...

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 14 comments Sean wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Well let me think! I could help you out! I love to help authors who need it! I am starting a blog and have lots of friends who already have some. Remind me which books you are wan..."

You got it! I think I won a copy of this book, so I'll be sure to get the word out there for you! :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Sean wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Well let me think! I could help you out! I love to help authors who need it! I am starting a blog and have lots of friends who already have some. Remind me which book..."

That would be awesome! Anything you need from me just let me know.... : ))

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 14 comments Sean wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Sean wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Well let me think! I could help you out! I love to help authors who need it! I am starting a blog and have lots of friends who already have some. Re..."

Well I was looking on my computer and I don't have a copy of your book. Is there anyway to send me one, either on here or through the mail?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Sure, just enter code CT37R at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/... and you'll be able to download a copy.

Anyone else on this thread can do the same : )

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 14 comments Thanks so much! I can't wait to read it!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hope you like it. Without any spoilers, here are the highlights from the first professional review it got...

"It is not very often that I open a book package in my house and set everything else aside, seeing as that I usually already have a pile to review. But when this one came into my hands, let’s just say that the first page ‘had me at hello,’ (not that I ever like using a Tom Cruise reference.) But to be given a young adult title with no vampires, no ‘yearnings’ of love, no thoughts of suicide - I mean, this was not only a great plot with fantastical characters - but it was also a total breath of fresh air.

I am telling you, readers - take a wee bit of Harry Potter, combine it with Peter Pan’s Lost Boys, throw in some Eragon, and infuse all of that with a new author whose imagination has such an appeal that you will want to read every book in this series - and you end up with the world of Grim’s Peak. The carriage called a ‘Sleeker’ is beyond cool; the dead lake in Hel-mir is frightening and creepy; the Water Arch that protects the city, and even the odd foods from Coral Sweets (candy) to the glasses of creamy whale’s milk - there is not one scene that doesn’t bring you into a seriously glorious world that SHOULD be looked at as the next ‘big’ YA fantasy series! This is a truly great read!"

Until Next Time,
Amy (Lignor)

As a professional reviewer, interviewer, ghostwriter and editor, Amy Lignor has had the great honor of working with a variety of companies, authors, and sites including: The Feathered Quill; Bookpleasures.com; Authorlink; BookPage; Kensington; Once Upon a Romance; and The RT (Romantic Times Magazine), to name a few.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Loraine | 1 comments Erika wrote: "I've published paperbacks at Createspace and ebooks at Amazon and B&N. My financial resources are slim, I cannot afford advertising, thus my sales are very low. I've tried giveaways here at Goodrea..."

I agree that blog tours are a good thing. Doing guest blog posts is also a good idea. I don't spend much money at all. Of course when I started I didn't have any money at all. Make sure the blogs are viewed by readers of your genre and target any promotions to those that buy books that are similar in style to yours. I had one ebook out in Sept. of last year and now I am about to launch my seventh along with two free short ones. Smashwords is great for free reads, but you won't see sales rise until they are free on Amazon. Good luck.

message 15: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Stephanie wrote: "Well let me think! I could help you out! I love to help authors who need it! I am starting a blog and have lots of friends who already have some. Remind me which books you are wanting help with and..."

Hi Stepanie, I need all the help I can get!!! I have my page on Facebook and a few of the book club pages are really good and helping me but it is so hard to get books out there, especially being an Indie Author.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-my-Dreams-G...

I would appreciate any help :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Erika wrote: "I've published paperbacks at Createspace and ebooks at Amazon and B&N. My financial resources are slim, I cannot afford advertising, thus my sales are very low. I've tried giveaways h..."

Hi Elizabeth
Is there a way to make your ebook free at Amazon? I've tried to re-price one of my books and it didn't accept the 0 price. I've tried Smashword, but I got feed backs that either the code doesn't work, or it takes forever to download. Now I have my free offers at free-ebooks.net, it cost me close to $5 to place the book on the site, but it seems to be working much better.

message 17: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Smashwords has worked pretty well for me - I have only had one person not be able to download my book. I don't think they realise they have to choose the format they wish it to be in as Smashwords as a few different options.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Gladys wrote: "Smashwords has worked pretty well for me - I have only had one person not be able to download my book. I don't think they realise they have to choose the format they wish it to be in as Smashwords ..."

Hi Gladys
You might be right and that was the problem. If the site is not user friendly enough and people can't just do things with a simple one click, they tend to abandon it without trying to figure it out. I'll try Smashwords again for my giveaway ebooks, the other site I mentioned is good for short versions that you offer free for everyone.

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate (littlekate1) | 10 comments I am not an author and have no clear answer on how to promote yourselves. What I can say that as a reader I am completely enamoured with the ability to write reviews and post them (on fb & Twitter) with a kindle. This is not something I have ever done with a hardcopy of a book before simply because I move from one book to another. As you all seem to be have ebooks then this is one thing that might (in time) generate more sales.
I love a free book (especially at the moment as I write my PhD thesis and feed my family on fresh air)and while it may help gain notoreity, I haven't yet read any of the smashwords, or amazon, freebies I've downloaded(although I have only had the kindle for 1 month). I think I would be more inclined to read it at a 'reduced', 'sale' or 'introductory offer' because the basic psychology is different. I just feel that limited time offers increases the value of the product (if that makes intellectual sense)?
Naturally I have joined this site and am happy to spread the word on social media sites about new books etc.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Kate
Thanks for the input and support, I'm sure every author appreciates it. You won the first book in hard copy Birthright of my Ilona the Hun series in my giveaway, I hope you will enjoy it. I understand financial situation believe me, so if you like the first book, I can send you the second book Passion in PDF format for free, just private message me with your email address. Best of luck with your thesis

message 21: by Kate (last edited Nov 17, 2011 05:35AM) (new)

Kate (littlekate1) | 10 comments Erika,I have posted a review on your book earlier. I loved it.
It was a nice easy read, I could understand the character, although at times I wanted to shout at her she seems so blind. (when characters becme real like that you know its a good book).
I did put one small critique on the review :S which was not to do with the story line but more about the proof reading. There were a few typos and grammatical errors, which while only small, did distract me while I was reading. I hope this is taken as the constructive comment it was meant to be. In writing all day (in a less pleasurable format) I know how easy it is to miss bits that you know so well you end up skim checking.
I read the book in three evenings which shows how enjoyable it is. Good luck and I hope the sales pick up for you soon.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Kate wrote: "Erika,I have posted a review on your book earlier. I loved it.
It was a nice easy read, I could understand the character, although at times I wanted to shout at her she seems so blind. (when chara..."

Hi Kate
I really appreciate your review, and it is a huge compliment for me. English is my second language, so you finding only a few typos and errors tell me that I did a great job. Having some financial low myself, I cannot afford to pay for a proofread right now, but as soon as I can, I'll have those mistakes corrected and the book reprinted. I'm so glad that you noticed my intention about Ilona's naivety and sometimes frustrating inner flaws. I meant to portray how she grows as a woman and a person. She will be more knowledgeable and stronger in the second and third book. message me with your email address and I'll send you the second book, thanks again for your great review.

message 23: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Kate wrote: "Erika,I have posted a review on your book earlier. I loved it.
It was a nice easy read, I could understand the character, although at times I wanted to shout at her she seems so blind. (when chara..."

Kate, authors don't mind critique as long as it is constructive and I wish you had reviewed my book instead of the other person that wasn't as gracious! Some of us are not professional writers but we love to write and most people love to read our stories:)

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (littlekate1) | 10 comments I cannot imagine why someone who is a lover of books would give a destructive critique. Sometimes constructive criticism can be hard (in my experience with academic work) but it gives you something to build upon. Writing is such a public opening of yourself that I hope to never provide anything other than constructive comments even for books I didn't particularly like; after all thats likely to be my taste in books rather than the authors shortfalling.
Gladys, I feel the need now to read and review your book to make up for others unthinking cruelty.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Kate wrote: "I cannot imagine why someone who is a lover of books would give a destructive critique. Sometimes constructive criticism can be hard (in my experience with academic work) but it gives you something..."

Kate, this offer to Gladys is so extremely nice of you, I knew that I judged your character right on the spot from your messages, this just proves that I was right.

message 26: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) I forgot to mention that Author EMS recently started a database to link authors to reviewers. It's brand new and in beta but doesn't hurt to try it out

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Gladys wrote: "Kate wrote: "Erika,I have posted a review on your book earlier. I loved it.
It was a nice easy read, I could understand the character, although at times I wanted to shout at her she seems so blin..."

Gladys, I see why you wished that Kate reviewed your book, I just read those two reviews. I know that a book cannot please everyone the same way and everyone's expectation and opinion is different about a book, but still... Probably I'm going to get a few bad reviews too like everybody else, however,I'm not looking forward to reading this kind of reviews.

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 14 comments Erika if you need me too, I can proofread your book while I'm reviewing it. I don't need you to pay me, it is a gift from one friend to the other. :)

message 29: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Erika wrote: "Gladys wrote: "Kate wrote: "Erika,I have posted a review on your book earlier. I loved it.
It was a nice easy read, I could understand the character, although at times I wanted to shout at her she..."

Thanks Erika, I really don't know why she seems so annoyed at me! I am not comparing myself to Stephanie Meyers? I just love to put my stories down on paper and hopefully have people enjoy reading them. The other review that stated that the relationship was too unrealistic, well that was written straight out of my own life exactly as it happened so that really confused me - my life isn't real! I know I make a lot of mistakes with grammar etc but really wasn't expecting an attack like that - bit naive of me I guess.

message 30: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Stephanie wrote: "Erika if you need me too, I can proofread your book while I'm reviewing it. I don't need you to pay me, it is a gift from one friend to the other. :)"

Stephanie you sound like such a nice person - I agree with Erika, I sensed it straight off :)

message 31: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Jex wrote: "Blog tours! There are a million book bloggers out there, find a blog, ask the blogger to review your book or do an author interview or come up with an eye catching guest post. Anything that gets wo..."

Would you please post my book? http://www.amazon.com/Man-my-Dreams-G...

message 32: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments What nice people in this group!!!!! :)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Erika if you need me too, I can proofread your book while I'm reviewing it. I don't need you to pay me, it is a gift from one friend to the other. :)"

Oh my Gosh Stephanie
Thank you so much, I would love you to do that,but I cannot possibly accept it for free. You puchased my books and now you giving me this way too generous offer? You're the second person who offers help without asking anything in return, that proves my opinion that there are wonderful people in this world and we always meet them unexpectedly. If anything I can do, please let me know. You and Kate will be the first ones to receive a copy of my third book (getting there, about 100 pages are done)and I'll email you the fist part as well as my two medical related ebooks as my appreciation. I don't have your email address, would you message it to me?

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Gladys wrote: "What nice people in this group!!!!! :)"

I totally agree Gladys

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Gladys wrote: "Erika wrote: "Gladys wrote: "Kate wrote: "Erika,I have posted a review on your book earlier. I loved it.
It was a nice easy read, I could understand the character, although at times I wanted to s..."

I guess we just have to brace ourselves and learn to tolerate these negative reviews. I'm not saying that your reviewers are, perhaps that was their too honest opinion, but there are many angry and unsatisfied people out there, and sorry to say that, but - I remember from my psychology lectures - they don't have enough power in their personal life, and by lashing out at strangers they gain some sense of control. They usually yell at bank tellers or complain about waitresses, nothing is ever good enough for them. Anyway...
The big majority of reviewers usually honestly give you their positive and negative opinions, although they mention the negative aspects as building criticism, which I appreciate myself. And you know, I was reading some of the reviews years ago about one of Steven King's book, and honestly, some of those reviews sounded like hate mails trashing the story and the characters, and he is famous and wrote countless books. So, we can't feel too bad about some not so good reviews.

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate (littlekate1) | 10 comments Gladys wrote: "What nice people in this group!!!!! :)"

Galdys so far everyone does seem to be lovely and the name of the group helps: I think the non- authors you get are going to be those that want to help and provide support. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to do write a book and somewhere like this forum would be a great place to start with networking, peer support and the potential for honest and constructive reviews.

message 37: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Kate wrote: "Gladys wrote: "What nice people in this group!!!!! :)"

Galdys so far everyone does seem to be lovely and the name of the group helps: I think the non- authors you get are going to be those that wa..."

I am glad I checked it out :) It is hard putting yourself out there but really most people are supportive and a lot of the groups I have joined (eg Kindlemojo) are really nice and helpful with promoting etc. Actually people should check them out - they post your book on ther site and Tom is just lovely. They have a facebook page too.
www.kindlemojo.com

message 38: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Miers (amiers) | 3 comments Hey Jex,

Your blog looks great. Do you accept ebooks for review?

message 39: by Linore (new)

Linore (linrose) | 4 comments One way to promote books is to offer one for free. For an author with a series, for example, it might boost sales of a back list to offer one novel of the series for free. My publisher has decided to do exactly that by doing a LIMITED TIME PROMOTION, which is going on right now. My first title, which was published in 12/09 is now FREE on Kindle, Nook, etc.

Here's the Amazon link if you're interested in getting the book while it's free.

Click Here.

Promotion is good only 11/18-11/29. Download it and save it for a snowy day! : )

But if you're an author and you want to stimulate sales of your own work, consider writing a short story and offering it free or CHEAP as a Kindle book. If readers find they enjoy your work, they are much more likely to go ahead and purchase other things you've written.

All the best,

Linore
http://www.LinoreBurkard.com

message 40: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments @Jex your blog looks amazing - I wish I could set up one as good as that! I tweeted it and liked your facebook page as well as shared it with some of my friends on book pages - they got my page up to 300+ likes for me:) also if any of you guys have facebook pages - check out Novel publicity's page https://www.facebook.com/novelpublicity Every friday they do karmic friday where pages share their links with other pages and get likes and give likes. It works really well. You just have to read the rules before participating:)

message 41: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Gladys wrote: "@Jex your blog looks amazing - I wish I could set up one as good as that! I tweeted it and liked your facebook page as well as shared it with some of my friends on book pages - they got my page up ..."

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%...

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Linore wrote: "One way to promote books is to offer one for free. For an author with a series, for example, it might boost sales of a back list to offer one novel of the series for free. My publisher has decided ..."
Thanks for the input Linore
I couldn't figure it out yet how to offer books for free at Amazon. I do it at Free ebooks, and at smashwords, but I don't know how to at Amazon. If you would be kind enough to let me know, I'd appreciate it.

message 43: by Linore (new)

Linore (linrose) | 4 comments Erika,

Follow the links to "publish on Amazon Kindle." They have a tutorial which will walk you through it. Having said this, I should add that I tried it and found it not quite as simple as it looks. You could always email Amazon if you run into difficulties. I'm considering offering a short story for free soon, so I'll be trying again. LOTS of authors are doing it, so I have to think it can't be TOO DIFFICULT!
Wishing you all the best,

Linore
http://www.LinoreBurkard.com

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Linore wrote: "Erika,

Follow the links to "publish on Amazon Kindle." They have a tutorial which will walk you through it. Having said this, I should add that I tried it and found it not quite as simple as it lo..."

Thank Linore, I''l try

message 45: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) @Gladys - Thanks so much for promoting my blog! If you send me a msg with your email I can help set up an interview or guest post to promote your book on the blog or you can email me at jessica.lee.ballard at gmail dot com

@Alyson - I do accept ebooks. Send me a msg with your email and I can help set you up with an author spotlight on the blog as well

Also if anyone else is interested in getting their book reviewed or being an author spotlight on my blog you can message me on here or send an email to jessica.lee.ballard at gmail dot com

Thanks to everyone that complemented my blog! I'm glad people enjoy it :-)

message 46: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Jex wrote: "@Gladys - Thanks so much for promoting my blog! If you send me a msg with your email I can help set up an interview or guest post to promote your book on the blog or you can email me at jessica.lee..."

You deserve it Jex - I really liked it! I have posted your facebook page on my page and asked people to like it but do check out http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%...
as it really does help.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Jex wrote: "@Gladys - Thanks so much for promoting my blog! If you send me a msg with your email I can help set up an interview or guest post to promote your book on the blog or you can email me at jessica.lee..."

Jex, I would love to promote your blog on my website, I can give you your own page. It would give my readers a much wider variety of books and interviews to look at, and of course more visitors for you. Let me know what would you like to add and send it to me in email

message 48: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 14 comments Hey guys! I just wanted to say I'll be putting my first review up this week. I hope you drop by my blog and follow me! sweetheart8181.blogspot.com

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Hey guys! I just wanted to say I'll be putting my first review up this week. I hope you drop by my blog and follow me! sweetheart8181.blogspot.com"

Most definitely!

message 50: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 14 comments Thank you Erika! You are awesome!

« previous 1