The Making of a Man discussion

Reception for Clark's Story

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Adams (dianeadams) | 264 comments Mod
The reception Clark's Story has received leaves me stunned and highly emotional. I know a 4 star rating or lower is inevitable but on this, the day after being released to have 13 five star ratings in a row has completely humbled me.

I hope you all read my dedication, I meant every word. No one has better readers than I do, you guys are supportive, enthusiastic and just fantastic. I love getting to know you all and you make writing for you a sheer joy.

Diane

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (cutestsubever) You earned every single star, Diane. Your books are wonderful and Clark's Story is simply beautiful. Thanks for writing it :)

message 3: by Diane (new)

Thank you Kat, after worrying over this one for so long the response has me a bit giddy :)))

message 4: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (lyd55) | 63 comments Hi Diane! You should be giddy. Clark's story is a great addition to the series. Congratulations!

message 5: by Diane (new)

Thank you Lydia, actually you guys got even and made me cry today. 14 five star ratings here at GR and three private messages at FB telling me how much they enjoyed the book. I really don't even know what to say lol.

message 6: by Kat (new)

Kat (cutestsubever) Just finished it... You made me cry a lot!

Especially the ending... Makes me wish parents could be like this in real life...

Is there going to be a story for Justin, too? I feel sorry for him...

message 7: by Diane (new)

I don't want to spoil too much but if you go back to A Place to Run and read that part with Alex's mother again you'll see even then she wavered and the forced herself to do what she thought people would "expect" we all know what happens trying to live a life by what other people expect.

Justin! I love you guys. I knew no one would be happy to leave him alone and unhappy. It won't be part of the series but he will have his own book next Christmas. So I hope that'll be okay :)

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat (cutestsubever) Diane wrote: "I don't want to spoil too much but if you go back to A Place to Run and read that part with Alex's mother again you'll see even then she wavered and the forced herself to do what she thought people..."

I have to read that part again :)

A book for Justin YAY! I like him :) He deserves his HEA!!

message 9: by Diane (new)

LOL I think Justin deserves it too and boy is he going to get it!

message 10: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (lyd55) | 63 comments Justin broke my heart and I loved his character. I agree with Kat he does deserve his own HEA.

message 11: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) I loved this story even if I cried way to much reading it. I also want to read Justin's HEA. I try not to give 5 stars to a book unless it makes me laugh or cry, I figure if an author can make me feel real emotions then they deserve top ratings. So well done Diane.

message 12: by Diane (new)

Thank you Tana! I made myself cry this time, editing it I just started bawling. Which never happens to me, I felt pretty silly I mean I wrote it lol.

Justin turned out to be an incredibly strong character. It's interesting to me how sometimes people just won't stay in the background. He was a pretty noble guy dealing with Clark and I knew you guys wouldn't be happy if I left him without hope of HEA. his will be a very fun story :)

message 13: by Diane (new)

Hey Vlad! You are exactly right about the books, but that's what they are all about. The people in our lives and the effect they have on us. A few readers in the past have complained about how parts of the MM series have scenes that do not seem to focus on the MC's but in life not every moment is about us and there are things going on behind the scenes that in the end directly affect us and who we become.

It's one of the difficult things about writing this series. It's not just about Alex and Jared or now Clark and Stevie, it is about their lives. The people in their lives are an important part of the story. How much more do we understand them as people because we've seen Clark talk to his mother, Alex interact with his school friend, or Jared with Alex's father. I believe we understand the MC's better because we know the people who love them.

Oh and Vlad, please stop with the sleeping guy, geez!

message 14: by Elci (new)

Elci  I'm reading it now and it's just so fab so far. Sigh.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather I just got done reading Clark's Story... It was wonderful. I'm happy to hear Justin is going to have his story told. I can't wait for the next Alex and Jared book.

message 16: by Deeze (new)

Deeze | 37 comments Starting Clarks story tonight. I'm ready and raring to go after my refresher course. lol

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina Deeze, you will love it!

message 18: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Agnello (continuitysupervsr) | 31 comments Hello Diane--Hello Everyone:
I just discovered the Making of a Man Series last weekend (Jan. 30, 2012) while shopping for Nook ebooks and finished reading Clark's Story yesterday (Feb. 1, 2012). I absolutely love the characters and the plotlines! Is there an anticipated release date for Book 5? Apologies for repeating this question if it's already been answered, but I've been looking for this info and haven't found anything yet. I'm excited to be part of this discussion group; thanks for being here guys!

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina Bridget, as far as I know, there's no release date. I can't wait for it!

message 20: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Agnello (continuitysupervsr) | 31 comments thank you for the feedback Tina---appreciate it.

message 21: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Agnello (continuitysupervsr) | 31 comments Sooooooo while waiting for Book 5 to debut, does anyone have a recommendation for another equally well-written M/M book series that I can sink my teeth into? Diane any authors you like that you'd recommend? I've read (& liked) Sean Michael & his "Jarhead" Series as well as Suzanne Brockmann & her "Troubleshooter" Series, along with J.R. Ward's "Black Dagger Brotherhood" Series.

message 22: by Tina (new)

Tina Bridget, Lost Boys and Love Letters by Bethany Brown is good. If I remember right, there are 3 or 4 of them.

message 23: by Deeze (new)

Deeze | 37 comments Clarks story was so well written, I'm ashamed I put it off for so long, but now I'm very keen to read Justins story, as long as theres a big side helping of Jared and Alex lol.

message 24: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (lyd55) | 63 comments Hi Deeze,

Have you read the Little Boy Lost series? I read it a couple of weeks ago and I was totally hooked. I believe there will be 5 books total and the last book hasn't been released yet. Also, have you read Wes & Toren? It's not a series but I enjoyed the book. I just started Something Like Summer and so far so good. Also, not part of a series that I know of.

I really love Making of a Man series and have reread it several times and probably will reread it time and time again.

Lydia

message 25: by Deeze (new)

Deeze | 37 comments Hi Lydia. Thanks for the recs. I'm waiting for the Little Boy Lost series to be completed. Thanks for reminding me about Wes and Toren, its on my list and so is Something Like Summer.

I agree the Making of a Man is a wonderfully written series, Well worth re reading lol.

message 26: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Agnello (continuitysupervsr) | 31 comments Jay Bell's novel "Something Like Summer" is terrific! I've read 3 of his books ("Language Lessons" is a novella & "Hell's Pawn") and all three are very well written. There is another author who's three-book, M/M-focused series I read last month, that I would recommend. His name is Michael Holloway Perrone. The books are titled, "A Time Before Me" (book 1), "A Time Before Us" (book 2) and "Falling Into Me" (book 3). It falls into the coming-of-age genre; it's beautifully written and laugh-out-loud comical at times.