Supa awesome book group discussion

What books do you intend to read in 2012?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rohan (new)

Rohan Just wanting to get some comments rolling on what literature people will be attempting to tackle in the New Year. I used to be guilty of setting myself impossible goals (The Complete Works of Shakespeare, Thomas Pynchon, Finnegan's Wake), but nowadays I'm less eager to waste what time I have on stuff that isn't worth the hassle. Here are a few of the works sitting on my too read shelf for the New Year, which will no doubt be added to as new works from the likes of Marisha Pessl and Alan Warner hit the shelves.

1) Hobson's Island by Stefan Themerson
Hobson's Island (British Literature) by Stefan Themerson

This is supposed to be a nice little satire from one of the great 20th Century Polish artists and humanists. It was written in English in 1988 (Themerson moved to the UK in the 30's) and pokes fun at the colonial ventures of the past few centuries, as well as Victorian 'progressivism'.

2) The End of the World in Breslau by Marek Krajewski (trans. Danusia Stok)
The End of the World in Breslau by Marek Krajewski

Danusia Stok is one of the foremost translators of Polish fiction into English and Krajewski is the Zafon of Polish crime fiction. My partner bought me this ages ago and I've still not got round to reading it. It's part of the Eberhard Mock Investigations series.

3) The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
For some reason I avoided Franzen till earlier this year when I demolished Freedom in about two days. I'm now working through his essays How To Be Alone and this is being saved up for the New Year.

4) Berg by Ann Quin
Berg (British Literature) by Ann Quin
Borrowed this, along with Tripticks and Passages, from a friend last year. None have yet been read, but I'm now contemplating a bit of experimental English psycho-literature.

5) Supergods: Our World in the Age of the Superhero by Grant Morrison
Supergods Our World in the Age of the Superhero by Grant Morrison
Grant Morrison is a Scottish legend and comic book genius. I purchased a first edition of this the moment it became available on Amazon and I've sampled a little of the opening, but I'm saving it for the long journey back from Lodz to Koszalin, on the 1st January. Perfect way to see in the New Year.

So now over to you all. Any interesting skeletons loitering around on the dusty bookshelves deserving a read in 2012?

message 2: by K Roma (last edited Nov 13, 2011 04:00PM) (new)

K Roma (man-u4kb) i definetly wanna read 'the demon trapper' 3 by Jana Oliver in 2012

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Tigers Destiny......Yep definetly Tigers Destiny

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

how about a billion books to read in 2012 ..................... itz a new year so a new booklist comes in

message 5: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (4ebony) | 11 comments well i"m starting the Chemical Garden series, a series I've been wanting to read for the longest!

message 6: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Williams | 5 comments All the (awesome) books in my shelf, which I keep saying I will read but I never get around to it.

message 7: by Jay (new)