Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

GoodReads How To > Join a Featured Group Challenge

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Dec 27, 2014 09:45AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments This is still in BETA (testing), but here are some basic instructions.

★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩

NOTE: If you need to enlarge/zoom your screen/view, hold the control (Ctrl) key down while pressing the + key.

Holding the hold the control (Ctrl) key down while pressing the - key will decrease the zoom on your computer screen.

★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩

How to enter a Featured Group Challenge

Screen 1

On the Home Page, fill in your information in the appropriate box. In this example we will use the challenge “Brides, Grooms, and Weddings the Year Around.”

See the fill in fields/boxes where it says:
My goal is to read ____ books for this challenge.
And
Enter a shelf name for this challenge: _____________
Fill in those fields/boxes.

Notice you have to enter add a bookshelf name to keep track of your books for this challenge. I tried “read” for another, non-specific challenge. That totals the books correctly, however, that doesn’t allow me to see the bookcovers for the books I’ve read, probably because I am also in Goodreads yearly challenge. Also, it is all the books I have read, not those specific to this challenge. However, I added a “heac-brides” shelf, as shown below, and that worked beautifully. You can, of course, come up with your own title. Only books you’ve read (and indicated by a finish date) during the date parameters, and tagged with your personal bookshelf, will count toward this challenge.

Screen 2

Click on the Save Challenge button.

Your avatar will now appear and it will show your progress by bar graph and percent. If none appear, it may be because you did NOT tag the shelves or indicated the date you finished the book.

Screen 3
Photobucket

If you click on the hyperlink numbers for percent -- in the above example on Screen 3, that is “4 of 10 (40%)" -- it will take you to a screen showing all the books you’ve read for this challenge.

Screen 4
Photobucket

If you click on “update my entry,” you can change your goal or shelf name. Be sure to save.

Screen 5
Photobucket

Or, if you click on “view community progress,” you will be taken to a screen that shows you all your friends that are in this challenge and the other participants. Click on “view books” to see books others have chosen. By moving your cursor over the bookcover, you can see how many stars they gave a book they selected.

Screen 6
Photobucket

Hope this helps! ☺

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jul 03, 2012 03:38PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments If you are having trouble adding a bookshelf it could be because you haven't included the hyphen if you have used two or more words. Instead of something like "heac brides" (used in the examples above) you need to put in "heac-brides".
                                                          hyphen Pictures, Images and Photos
Also, you can add books to this shelf that you haven't read yet; just some that you plan on. GoodReads won't add them to this challenge until you enter a date finished.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) LK, I have a quick question. If we do this does it have to coincide with the Bride Grooms Weddings yearly challenge or can we read as many as we want for this one?

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I'm not sure what your question is, Robin. Sorry. Can you explain more?

message 5: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Robin, you can join as many challenges as you wish and many ppl will try to get books they can apply to more than one challenge, Is that what you mena?

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) there is a challenge here called ~ Brides, Grooms, and Weddings the Year Around ~ Challenge

According to the rules we either read 12 books (1 a month) or we can use the spell it out option for the month which would mean more than one book for the given month.

If we make a shelf and set a goal for this beta challenge does it have to match identically the challenge of either 12 books/spell it out? I guess what I am asking is the shelf beta challenge separate from the year challenge.

So for example: If I set a goal of 100 books for this does it have to match the other challenge? Are the two wedding challenges separate or do they coincide with one another? If I participate in one do I have to participate in both? Or can I participate in this and not the other?

I am probably making this as clear as mud lol Sorry

message 7: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments When you set up your Brides etc... shelf whatever you put in that shelf will count towards the challenge. You can have one book in as many of your shelves as you put them in as long as they are not "exclusive" shelves. Does this help?

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I'm still not clear on what you mean by "match identically"... I was thinking it would be an either/or choice. However, you can do both. If you want to spell something out that reminds you of brides, weddings, etc and use 100 books, then go for it (even if they are related to brides, grooms, etc). Nevertheless, if you tag a book with your specified bookshelf, it is only going to show up once when you view the challenge. There is no way for it to show for both the 1-A-Month challenge and the Spell-It-Out Challenge. Does that answer your question, Robin?

message 9: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited May 27, 2012 12:27PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) What I was asking is this....Do you have to do both Bride challenges or can you do one without the other? There is a Bride challenge where you make a shelf and enter a goal and there is a bride challenge where you either read 12 books or spell it out. If you choose to do both challenges do they have to match identically or can the 2 challenges exist as separate entities.

I'm sorry I am not explaining this very well LOLOLOLOLOL I guess I am a little confused because the two challenges have the same name. That's why I asked if you joined both challenges did the books you read for one challenge HAVE to match identically to the other challenge.

And then I thought well if you joined the challenge where you read 12 books/spell it out, maybe the shelf challenge was just a place to put the 12/spell it out books just so you could keep track.

So now I am thinking it is an either choice. So I think I will just make a shelf, set my goal and just read LOLOLOL

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited May 27, 2012 12:32PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Okay. Let me break this down, Robin.

Do you have to do both Bride challenges or can you do one without the other?
You do NOT have to do both. But, you can if you want.

There is a Bride challenge where you make a shelf and enter a goal and there is a bride challenge where you either read 12 books or spell it out.
True. The "Brides, etc, the Year Round" came first and I decided to try it when they were 'beta' testing the Group Challenge. They are essentially the same challenge. The 'beta' testing one is just a different way to easily track the challenge. The rumor is that something like this will eventually be available on your Profile Page. Neat, huh?

If you choose to do both challenges do they have to match identically or can the 2 challenges exist as separate entities.
If you choose to do both, they can exist as separate entities, except where noted for the Group Challenge showing on our Home Page; they will all appear together upon someone viewing them if you tag them with the same bookshelf name. What I'm saying is that there is NO way to put in two different bookshelf names in the "select a shelf field".

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) OK got it : ) Thanks LK!!! Makes sense to me now. Sorry I made this so difficult but I am still trying to learn about this beta stuff lol as not many of my other groups use this feature.

I wanted to read more wedding books for the shelf/goal challenge because it seems I have a lot of them on my kindle but didn't know if I would be able to fit them into the 12/spell it out challenge.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hiya,

I am new to this group...what is this about? What books are you talking about?
8)

message 13: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Featured group Challenges are on the Group Home page. I think there is only the one at the moment.

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Man-oh-man! The screens I did for these were done before we had mastheads. Interesting.

message 15: by Michelle T. (new)

Michelle T. (chely1217) | 399 comments I have a question:
What happens if I'm reading a series and all the books are based on the same city? Do I only add one of the books?

message 16: by Michelle T. (new)

Michelle T. (chely1217) | 399 comments I'm sorry I'm trying, but I guess I'm not doing this right can you help me, please.

message 17: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments If you read each book then you should be able to count them all separately.

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments True. Any more questions or difficulties, Michelle T.?