What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Sci-Fi/pre-1973/girl twists into other dimensions

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny I read this book in middle school and found it in the school library, so I'm guessing it is YA. I read it in the early 1970's. It is about a teen girl who can move between different dimensions. I think she just had to twist a certain way. Can't remember much more. Was the first sci-fi book I remember reading and I enjoyed it--checked it out twice. It was hard backed and didn't seem new when I had it--so may be from the 60's or even earlier. Think jacket may have been grey. Not too long, maybe 200 pages.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 763 comments This may be 'The Universe Between' by Alan E.Nourse.
The first part of the book concerns a young girl in a scientific experiment. She 'twists' between dimensions, but can't make any sense of what she finds. She 'hears' colours, 'feels' sounds etc (a bit like synthaesthesia).
In the second half, she has brought her son up to travel freely between both worlds, so although he cannot make much more sense of it, it doesn't drive him mad.
Then a being from the other universe shows up in ours, as a young girl....

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Hi Sue, Thanks. Hope it is in the library, I'll let you know.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) I've been looking for this book, too! She "turned a corner" in a certain way. And looking on Amazon.com, the cover is what I remember. Cool! Two needs met with one posting!

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Hi, Got an old paperback copy of this book. It has been a long time and I'm not 100% sure this is it. Mostly, because I thought the main character was a teenage girl. They call the people on the otherside "Thresholders" which sounded right to me. I'm going to check to see if he wrote maybe a sequal. For now, I'm putting this with solved. THanks.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Jenny left the group. Moving to Abandoned.