Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Having Fun Yet? > It's a Real Challenge Discussion

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Nov 12, 2011 05:58PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 1093 comments Mod
Goodreads is adding a new feature for Groups to use. Currently it is being BETA tested and Stephen King Recommends members are able to participate in the test.

On the group's home page, you will notice the current Winter Challenge just below the Currently Reading heading.

Join us in the actual challenge, and use this thread for comments and questions.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Hi ladies, I have a couple of questions regarding our challenge.

1. Is the WINTER CHALLENGE" shelf listed automatically or do we have to add it?
2. Do audio books count?

message 3: by Debra (last edited Dec 01, 2011 03:31PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Linda wrote: "Hi ladies, I have a couple of questions regarding our challenge.

1. Is the WINTER CHALLENGE" shelf listed automatically or do we have to add it?
2. Do audio books count?"

Hi Linda:

Once you add the shelf here on the challenge section, it automatically adds the shelf of the same name to your personal book shelf list. When you finish reading a book, you mark it read, add the book to your challenge book shelf, in the review section you add the date you finished reading the book.

Audio books most definitely count.

Almeta and I may add a few rules about required book length and such. We are still working out the bugs. Plus we have more authors to add to the list. But, we'd be delighted if you want to start the challenge now!

Thanks for asking!
Debra

message 4: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Nov 13, 2011 08:24AM) (new)

When creating your bookshelf for the Stephen King Recommends group, you may want to make the name generic.

For example I named mine Sai-King-Challenges.

We don't intend to have concurrently running challenges; just consecutive ones. Since the challenges are counted based on the "Date Read" and where it falls within the challenge criteria, the same shelf can be used every time a new challenge is created.

message 5: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Dec 09, 2011 01:24PM) (new)

I've seen so many other great challenges on GoodReads. Want to do them all!

Debra T. and I just recently joined in a 24 hour marathon read, the To Be Read Toppler. Participants from around the world began reading at the same time. It was a surreal feeling of fellowship knowing people across the globe were reading a book at the same time as I was. I also discovered that “I am not the stay up all night party girl” that I used to be!

Have you an idea for a challenge, or participated in one that you liked?

Share it with us.

message 6: by Agata Weronika (new)

Agata Weronika (aqueda_veronica) I take part twice a year in Dewey's Readathon and love it :)
The Twitter community during each event is so supportive and encouraging!

message 7: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Aqueda wrote: "I take part twice a year in Dewey's Readathon and love it :)
The Twitter community during each event is so supportive and encouraging!"

Wow, 442 readers in the last one.

The April 2012 Dewey's Read-a-Thon will be held on April 21st, 2012.

Check it out!

message 8: by Debra (new)

Almeta wrote: "I also discovered that “I am not the stay up all night party girl” that I used to be!"

Same here! It took me 2 days to recover from that night. But it was worth it!

message 9: by Debra (new)

How's everyone doing on our Winter Challenge? I've read 3 out of 10, and am working on my 4th one.

message 10: by Agata Weronika (new)

Agata Weronika (aqueda_veronica) At the moment just one down, still 3 to go. I've set up a goal of 1 book per each month of the challenge. Not that ambitious but I'm also doing some other reading in the meantime.

message 11: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Dec 15, 2011 06:29AM) (new)

Debra wrote: "How's everyone doing on our Winter Challenge? I've read 3 out of 10, and am working on my 4th one."

Stalled because of The Woman in White. At 4 of 15.

It took the original readers 40 weeks to get the full story. Linda and I think it might take us that long as well!☻☺

message 12: by Debra (new)

I'm glad we don't have to read books in serial form these days. I wouldn't be able to stand it!

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Debra, I'm glad you asked this question, I was thinking about it last night - but didn't ask. I am doing terrible!!!! I am stalled at

The Woman in White and now for some reason I feel like I need a reading break - not sure how or why this has happened.

Also, I wanted to check out other members lists, so far I have only been able to see my own, - how do I do it???

message 14: by Rocio (new)

Rocio (scarlet86) | 50 comments Mmmm, I'm not making any progress so far, but I do have 2 week vacation starting from Monday, so I will catch up!!!!

message 15: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Linda wrote: "Also, I wanted to check out other members lists, so far I have only been able to see my own, - how do I do it??? ..."

If you place your cusor over Winter Challenge is there a link to click on? That's how I view the participants...through that link.

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Hmmm, I will try it today....

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments That worked, Almeta, thank you - I like being able to view other lists - it will give me ideas.

message 18: by Debra (new)

I've got 4 more books to go to reach my goal of 10. How's everyone else doing?

message 19: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Debra wrote: "I've got 4 more books to go to reach my goal of 10. How's everyone else doing?"

Pacing is two behind! I'm at 7 of 15

I did enjoy every one that I have read so far.

After a weird couple of monthly group read choices, I am glad to have regained my confidence in Stephen King and his ability to recommend a good book!

message 20: by Debra (new)

Almeta wrote: "I did enjoy every one that I have read so far. ..."

I have enjoyed my choices, too!

message 21: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I'm still trucking along - but not sure that I am going to make it to my 20 - what was I thinking??!!???

message 22: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Linda wrote: "I'm still trucking along - but not sure that I am going to make it to my 20 - what was I thinking??!!???"

Yeah 8 more by February seems crazy to me. In November it felt sooo easy!

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments So true!!!!

message 24: by Debra (new)

I think I can do my 4 more for a total of 10. I didn't stretch myself very far with this challenge.

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I will be more logical when we do the next challenge.....

message 26: by Debra (new)

Just a reminder that books you shelve for this challenge are supposed to be those for authors that Stephen King recommends. Check out our author list to find out which ones he has given carte blanche approval of.

Good luck reaching your goal!
Debra

message 27: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments LOL!!! I saw that as well and wondered if you were going to address it, I wanted to, but didn't want to overstep our leader..... :)

message 28: by Debra (new)

Linda wrote: "LOL!!! I saw that as well and wondered if you were going to address it, I wanted to, but didn't want to overstep our leader..... :)"

Never feel inhibited! Just speak up. Almeta and I don't care and appreciate the participation and help.

message 29: by Debra (new)

Hooray! I completed my challenge to read 10 books by authors SK recommends. How's everyone else doing?

message 30: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Congrats Debra, unfortunatly I don't think I am going to make my goal of 20, clearly I shot to high!! I am at 7 now, I am currently listening to Dog on It, very cute story by the way and I will finish that one next week. Not sure I will get a chance to squeeze another in before the end of the month.... ho hum!!!

message 31: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Feb 19, 2012 07:50AM) (new)

I really liked this challenge. Obviously I didn’t focus on my goal. I’ve read some things I didn’t expect to read. Still I ‘m 9 for 15 and I don’t think I will do much better. Too many distractions.

Stephen King recommended a couple dogs. Speaking of which, I love Quinn’s Chet and Bernie series. I will read every one of those. Have always enjoyed Elmore Leonard, so that wasn’t a difficult read. And O’Nan and I are friends. I don’t think Mischa Berlinski and I are going to be chummy. I just got Memory of Running again for a re-read; have to listen to it on tape.

Great challenge, and I’m going to keep choosing the other authors. Over all I can trust King’s suggestions…..as long as there is no more Irving please!

message 32: by Linda (last edited Feb 19, 2012 07:45AM) (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I am currently listening to the 1st book in the Chet and Bernie series and I must say, I have laughed out loud and can totally see why King recommended this author - I will continue with this series.

I listened to 2 Stewart O'Nan books and enjoyed them both, I can see myself checking out more of his books.

Of course, I loved The Passage. Very good challenge, just wish I would not have made my goal so high - It seemed very attainable at the time.....

message 33: by Debra (new)

I'm glad you guys are enjoying some of the authors and their books that SK has recommended. I, too, loved the first Chet and Bernie book and am about to begin listening to the next one. Chuckling out loud was something I did a lot, and am looking forward to doing again!

message 34: by Debra (new)

OH... and no worries about not meeting the challenge. I kept my goal more reasonable, that's all. Almost bit off more than I could chew, but I made it.