Q&A with Magda Olchawska discussion

What made you decide to self-publish?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magda (new)

Magda (magdaolchawska) | 48 comments Mod
I’m an Independent filmmaker so it was natural to go Indie with my books as well.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Bursztynski | 1 comments Did you ever consider submitting your books to traditional publishers?

message 3: by Magda (new)

Sue wrote: "Did you ever consider submitting your books to traditional publishers?"

I did submit but nobody was interested in my books.

message 4: by Claude (last edited Nov 14, 2011 06:03AM) (new)

Claude Forthomme (claudenougat) | 5 comments I believe all aspiring writers should try going the traditional road of sending out queries to literary agents. That's the best way to start! But if rejections are too many or contracts offered are not enticing (and these days they are not: advances are often ridiculously low - averaging I hear $5,000, if that!) well, then, why not consider self-publishing?

After all, the stigma attached to self publishing has been removed by the digital revolution. This said, there are still risks in spite of all the hype surrounding the wonders of self publishing - with John Locke and Amanda Hocking selling in the millions! It think one needs to go forward very carefully and think twice before self-publishing. I've just blogged about it, outlining the pitfalls...Do check my blog out, you'll see!

Basically, self-publishing is not for the faint-hearted! It takes a lot of entrepreneurial spirit - something I believe Magda has a lot of!

message 5: by Magda (new)

Claude wrote: "I believe all aspiring writers should try going the traditional road of sending out queries to literary agents. That's the best way to start! But if rejections are too many or contracts offered are..."

Thank you Claude for sharing your thoughts & believing in me so much.
Do you mind posting the link to your blog for everyone to check it out?

message 6: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Coelho (sl_coelho) | 6 comments I don't believe everyone's dream is to follow the traditional route, it was not mine. I had a message, I had a very specific idea in my head and I wanted to maintain control of my project. This is why I went independent.