UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Live Events > Live Event with Shaun Jeffrey - 25/11/11

Comments Showing 1-50 of 343 (343 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Lorraine (last edited Nov 29, 2011 03:00PM) (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Hello and welcome to the first Goodreads UKAKF Live Event with an Author. We are very excited to have Shaun Jeffrey as our first guinea pig, the one to test the interrogation chair.

According to Sheri White, from Morpheus Tale, Shaun is “an author to watch in the new generation of horror writers now on the scene”… I think I can safely say that this is an opinion shared by very many of us in the group !

The event will go live on the 25th of November, right here, at 7 p.m. UK time. So don’t forget to put a big cross in your calendar !

Shaun will answer all questions concerning his masterpieces of horror and his life as a writer.

To make things easy for author as well as readers, we would be grateful if you asked your questions as we move along in the discussion in the following sequence:

Shaun, the Man
The Kult and Killers, and Prosper Snow
Deadfall and Evilution
Voyeurs of Death and other short stories
Shaun the Writer: the life of a writer and the writing process
Finally, open questions and a party !

Everyone is welcome, and the more the merrier. Apart for Shaun, who’s going to be busy doing lots of typing ! Looking forward to seeing you all on the night !

**NO SPOILERS**
Some of us have not read everything there was to read yet, so please please please, if you have a question with a spoiler, use the html code (view spoiler) PLEASE REMOVE THE HEARTS, IT'S SO THAT THE CODE CAN BE VISIBLE

**IMPORTANT**
The thread is now unlocked. Please wait until Shaun is ready and we give you the go ahead before asking your questions :) See you at 7pm !

ALL THE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ARE NOW ON SHAUN'S BLOG HERE:
http://shaunjeffrey.blogspot.com/2011...

message 2: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments YAY SHAUN!!!!

message 3: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments You ready Shaun? Simon please can you do the post and ask everyone to come on here ?

message 4: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments OK, thanks for turning up everyone. Some great questions. Hope you enjoyed it, and I'll see you next time. Night.

Lol. OK. I'm here.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments We want Shaun! We want Shaun!

message 6: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "We want Shaun! We want Shaun!"

Careful what you wish for ;)

message 7: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Shaun is setting the mood I see !

Everybody ready?

message 8: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Why are we waiting?

(that annoying tune kids sing i dont know what the rest of it is)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments SHAUN!!!

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenkindles) | 5 comments Lol thought I'd missed it then

message 11: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Just for everyone to come over from the other thread hopefully. I hope Anita's not got lost !

message 12: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Ask away. And I can see those rude gestures you're making at the back of the room.

message 13: by Anita (new)

Anita | 3758 comments Ready here

message 14: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Hi Knitter and welcome !

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments *clicking lighter*

message 16: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 2930 comments Hi Shaun,

Before I rush off to pick Mrs R up from the station, I've time for a quick question. I'm plotting at the moment and I was just wondering whether you like to plot a story first or just have a rough idea and go with the flow. Some writer's have to have it all worked out beforehand and others prefers the character to lead the way as it were.

Which kind are you?

message 17: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Steve wrote: "Hi Shaun,

Before I rush off to pick Mrs R up from the station, I've time for a quick question. I'm plotting at the moment and I was just wondering whether you like to plot a story first or just ha..."

I have worked both ways. Sometimes if I'm stuck I like to plot to know where it's going. But other times I like the free writing approach so that the story surprises me as I write it as I don't know what's going to happen next.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments My refresh button is gonna get SUCH a workout tonight!

message 19: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments I'm here!

Do we have an order for questions? or do we bombard Shaun with questions and make him work hard to answer them all? (:

message 20: by Anita (new)

Anita | 3758 comments is that how you do it Patti?

message 21: by Lorraine (last edited Nov 25, 2011 11:09AM) (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Okies, here's how it was supposed to start "properly" lol ! (No hard feelings Steve x)

Hi and welcome everyone, thank you all for being here. Please do take some time to read the first post to make sure that we all help to make this event an enjoyable experience for everyone.

Some of you will already know Shaun, but for those among us who haven't met you yet, please, Shaun, would you mind introducing yourself?

message 22: by Shaun (last edited Nov 25, 2011 11:06AM) (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Katy wrote: "I'm here!

Do we have an order for questions? or do we bombard Shaun with questions and make him work hard to answer them all? (:"

Lorraine wrote a rough order in the first post - and she must be obeyed or else ...

message 23: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments OK, I’m 46 years old, and I’ve been writing books and stories for probably half that time. I grew up in a house in a cemetery, so I guess I was never going to be writing romance novels. In that respect I’ve had five novels published and one collection. I was also lucky enough that my novel, The Kult was filmed last year by an independent production company. No release details yet, but there is a trailer up on Youtube. I work full time on the railway as a signalling telecommunications engineer. And in my spare time I go jogging, work out at the gym and do Tae Kwon Do.

message 24: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Shaun, just because I'm curious... you seem to always be on the go, how many hours do you sleep on an average night?

message 25: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Lorraine SPOILER CODE IN THE FIRST POST wrote: "Shaun, just because I'm curious... you seem to always be on the go, how many hours do you sleep on an average night?"

Nowhere near enough. If I'm lucky I'll get about 6 hours kip. That's why I look like a zombie most of the time.

message 26: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments *raises a hand*

Can I ask a question now please Miss?

message 27: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Jud (Krisztof) wrote: "*raises a hand*

Can I ask a question now please Miss?"

Of course

message 28: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Go ahead Jud please - for everyone, I'll probably ask the first question to start the subject, then feel free to fire them at Shaun !

message 29: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I was just wondering if you ever had nightmares/were scared as a kid living by a graveyard?

message 30: by Moses (new)

Moses Siregar III (mosessiregar) | 2 comments This is great! We're about to leave to go and see Hugo (movie), but have fun, everyone!

message 31: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Just a quick break to announce we're having a 700 members party right afterwards !!!! OOOOOhhh this evening is getting better by the minute !

message 32: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Jud (Krisztof) wrote: "I was just wondering if you ever had nightmares/were scared as a kid living by a graveyard?"

Not really. I was very young at the time, but to be honest, a graveyard is a very serene and quiet place. And if there's any such thing as ghosts and ghouls they'll probably inhabit the area where they died rather than where they're buried!

message 33: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Hi-Bye Moses, you'll be able to catch up on your return I'm sure, enjoy !

message 34: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Moses wrote: "This is great! We're about to leave to go and see Hugo (movie), but have fun, everyone!"

Have fun :)

message 35: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments They do say about weird things going on in graveyards... ever witnessed anything unexplainable Shaun?

message 36: by Sandra "Jeanz" (new)

Sandra "Jeanz" Hi!

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what had you planned on doing?

message 37: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Do we get invited to ask a question or just dive in?

message 38: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Lorraine SPOILER CODE IN THE FIRST POST wrote: "They do say about weird things going on in graveyards... ever witnessed anything unexplainable Shaun?"

I have had a couple of weird experiences, and seen a couple of strange things, but not in a graveyard.

message 39: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Sarah, dive in !

message 40: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Shaun wrote: "Jud (Krisztof) wrote: "I was just wondering if you ever had nightmares/were scared as a kid living by a graveyard?"

Not really. I was very young at the time, but to be honest, a graveyard is a ver..."

You were braver than me then

message 41: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Shaun wrote: "I have had a couple of weird experiences, and seen a couple of strange things, but not in a graveyard. "

Oooooh please will you tell us more?

message 42: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Lorraine SPOILER CODE IN THE FIRST POST wrote: "Shaun wrote: "Lorraine SPOILER CODE IN THE FIRST POST wrote: "Shaun wrote: "She might have seen the photos ... "

What photos?"

The private ones ;)"

they are good Lorraine I'll let you see them later ;o)

I don't have access to those I think :("

message 43: by Lynette (new)

Lynette Sofras (manicscribbler) | 7 comments Shaun wrote: "Lorraine SPOILER CODE IN THE FIRST POST wrote: "Shaun, just because I'm curious... you seem to always be on the go, how many hours do you sleep on an average night?"

Nowhere near enough. If I'm l..."

Hi Shaun - didn't you know a wise man only needs 4 hours sleep a night. You're OD-ing! LOL.

message 44: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Sandra "Jeanz" wrote: "Hi!

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what had you planned on doing?"

Writing is something I just enjoyed doing. As it's not my full time profession I can just enjoy doing it for fun. If I had to do it for a living I'm not sure whether I'd enjoy it as much, mainly because then I would know how important it was, and that my living would depend on it! That would be quite scary I think.

message 45: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments no no no no no no I dont want ghosty stories!!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Enjoying the cat herding, Lorraine? Teehee.

message 47: by Anita (new)

Anita | 3758 comments Did you ever read the names on the gravestones & then make up little stories of who you thought that person may have been?

message 48: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments YAY Anita didnt get lost :o)

message 49: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Lyn wrote: "Shaun wrote: "Lorraine SPOILER CODE IN THE FIRST POST wrote: "Shaun, just because I'm curious... you seem to always be on the go, how many hours do you sleep on an average night?"

Nowhere near en..."

I don't feel like a wise man. Lol

message 50: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Patti (Totally Bananas) wrote: "Enjoying the cat herding, Lorraine? Teehee."

What's Cat herding Patti?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7