A Christmas Carol A Christmas Carol question

Which actor, living or dead, would you like to see as Scrooge?
Shane Shane Nov 10, 2011 07:14PM
I really like the George C. Scott version, but it, like most of the others is flawed. I was thinking if I had my choice, I'd like to see some other actors in the role as Scrooge. Maybe Gregory Peck. How about Tom Selleck? Or perhaps, Robert DeNiro. Hmmm. What do you think?

hmm, I've never thought about it much. One of the few Christmas Carols I have watched were animated with Scrooge McDuck as the main character.lol I think it would be cool to see sir Ben Kingsly or perhaps Jeremy Irons take on the role. Robert DeNiro would be an interesting Scrooge as well.

Emma I'm loving Timothy West in Eastenders, think he would make a great Scrooge. ...more
Feb 05, 2015 12:56PM

I'd like to see Alan Rickman as Scrooge. I think it would be a very good match!

Marquette Exactly! :(
Jan 14, 2016 07:49AM · flag

Actually George C. Scott did a great job with it, he owned it.

For some reason, David Tennant sounds like a good Scrooge. Under some makeup, of course.

Robin Williams, believe it or not. Most performances I've seen fall apart at the end, when Scrooge becomes giddy after realizing he isn't dead, and still has a chance to make amends. I think it would take a great comic actor to pull this part off.

Call me an Anglophile but how about some British actors like Tom Wilkinson or Michael Gambon? In my opinion, no one did a better Scrooge than Alastair Sim (1951 B&W).

Any dead ones... because that would be different. Okay, gross, but definitely different.

Dick Cheney...really...he has no heart...

Interesting choices. I didn't even consider Plummer or Ben Kingsly - or even Dustin Hoffman - and they would be great. My vote for best existing performance is George C. Scott. Allister Sim did a great job. In fact, I haven't seen any really BAD ones. For a dark horse, why not Karl Urban - the guy who played Bones in the Star Trek reboot? He flat out stole the movie and, with make up, you could age and de-age him for the flashbacks.

I think Richard Harris would have been good as Scrooge.

Since, to me, George C. Scott so fulfilled the role, I can not think of anyone else in that role.

And, certainly not Kelsey Grammar. Talk about miscasting...

Jack Nicholson all the way....

I know that he is not British but I wonder how well Christopher Lloyd would do in the role. I imagine he would pull off playing Scrooge really well.

I think LIonel Barrymore would have made a good Scrooge, he played Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful LIfe so well, that I thought of him.

I will always like Alastair's Sims version best. I really hope they do NOT redo A Christmas Carol again but that said, I can see Ben Kingsly, or even Morgan Freeman would be good.

I'd like to see "Jack Nicholson" as Scrooge! :)

Christopher Waltz, incredible actor.

Marlon Brando or Robert Downey Jnr..

Charles Dance (A.K.A. Tywin Lannister)

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm298697318...

Hugh Laurie.

Rowan atkinson would be brilliant, I could just see him as Scrooge.

Tom Hanks or Morgan Freeman.

John Hurt

Christoph

Definitely not Peck. He couldn´t even make a good Ahab. I would definitely go with John Huston. His character in CHINATOWN was the most loathsome, despicable bastard in cine. Yeah, I´d go with him. But I am not so sure he would have made the transition to mellow Scrooge.

Kingsley, Lee, Plummer, and Gambon are far too old. Irons LOOKS too old. If Belle has grown children (when visited by the Ghost of Christmas Present), Ebenezer is still no more than sixty, tops. Alan Rickman or Kenneth Branagh would be great because they are great in everything. The George C. Scott version isn't a faithful adaptation (there really aren't any, except the animated Disney w/ Jim Carrey), but there will never be a better Scrooge than Scott's.

deleted member (last edited Oct 07, 2012 11:37PM ) Oct 04, 2012 02:05PM   0 votes
How about the late Wilfred Bramble. He really is my idea of Scrooge. Another off the wall one woud be John Lennon .... I'm sure that he could have done it.

Michael (last edited Nov 25, 2011 09:57PM ) Nov 25, 2011 09:56PM   0 votes
Patrick Stewart with his Shakespearean training made a good Scrooge.

Though I would like to see a really terrible actor try to do Scrooge. Say Adam Sandler or Ashton Kutcher OR Gerard Butler. Imagine the train wreak!

And yes Arnold of course

Allan (last edited Nov 19, 2014 06:25PM ) Nov 19, 2014 06:19PM   0 votes
Geoffrey Rush...he would be an amazing Scrooge. He has an amazing range.

And Walter Matthau would have been a great ghost of Christmas present...

Alastair Sim, in my mind, perfected the role in 1951. Albert Finney was stellar in the musical version from 1970. I don't think I need to see another version (though I would probably watch it, even if only once). I watch these two every year and never tire of them.

And, of course, there's Morgan Freeman. (Talk about an actor who can play ANYTHING.)

Jack Nicholson... I love to hate him!! He'll be a perfect scrooge... Or maybe Jim Carrey..

P.S.- Jim did a voice over for Scrooge...

Robin Williams would have made a great Scrooge.

William Shatner. Definitely William Shatner.

Alan Rickman.

I love the George C. Scott version. It is The Christmas Carol in my mind, more so than the book, and I am not sure it can be improved. I liked Patrick Stewart and Michael Caine as Scrooge also, although Michael Caine's performance would have benefited from a human cast--I may be the only person on the face of the Earth that is not wild about Muppets, a Muppet Scrooge I suppose. But what I would really like to see is an intellectual's Scrooge, Anthony Hopkins.

Has Ian McKellen been in that movie yet?

I am actually about to begin A Christmas Carol unit with my 7th graders. As part of that we will be watching the George C Scott version. I do prefer his portrayal to others I have seen. If I were to choose another actor to portray him it would be Kenneth Branagh. Ben Kingsley would also be an interesting choice. Or Hugh Laurie.

I was just thinking about this as I read it. Weirdly enough, when I was reading his physical description, Tom Hiddleston popped into my head. It was the thin lips that did it, I believe. I think he would be good as a younger Ebenezer. I can picture him sitting there sullen as his love releases him from their engagement. But in all reality, I think Alastair Sim was the very best Scrooge there ever was.

What a silly question. I'd like to see a dead actor play Marley. Someone dead as a doornail.

deleted member Dec 24, 2014 08:48AM   0 votes
Alec Guinness, who is sadly dead.

I'm trying to picture Benedict Cumberbatch as Scrooge...

Bookishnymph *needs hea* (last edited Dec 14, 2011 07:10PM ) Nov 25, 2011 08:38PM   0 votes
I think that the two best actors for Scrooge have already played him. George C. Scott and Michael Caine.
But if I had to pick a new one, I'd pick Sean Connery.

I think Alan Rickman would be great as Scrooge.

He isn't living anymore but I think Clifton Webb would have made a great Scrooge

Who better than Alastair Sim ?

Honestly, Paul Newman :)

Christopher Lee.

I love the George C. Scott verison but in a remake I think David Suchet could pull it off.

How about Johnny Depp?? Spooky!!

« previous 1