The History Book Club discussion

Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch
This topic is about Elizabeth the Queen
BRITISH MONARCHY/ROYAL HOUSES > INTRODUCTION: ELIZABETH THE QUEEN (SPOILER THREAD)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 196 (196 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 17, 2011 09:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley | 44167 comments Mod
FREE OFFER CLOSED

Group Members of the History Book Club,

One of our relationships with Random House has allowed us to offer our group members who reside in the United States free advance copies of the following book:

We will have a special spotlighted discussion of this book beginning very soon after January 12, 2012 when the book is available to all. The book has not been released yet so this is a fabulous opportunity.

We are arranging a live chat with the author and I will keep you posted on that as time goes by.

So for those of you who are interested in not only acquiring this book at no charge alongwith free shipping paid for by Random House, please post here and let me know of your interest. Also, send me via PM your name and mailing address so that I can place you on the list so that you can get your advance copy.

We are only being allowed 25 copies and they are only going to be available to History Book Club members from the United States who will also commit to reading the book and discussing it with us.

This is a great opportunity so we hope you take advantage of this and let me know of your interest.

Also send me a PM or post here if you are unable to reach me for any reason and I will contact you and tell you my History Book Club email address.

All Best,

Bentley

Note: The book cover is not yet available on Goodreads because it has not been released as yet. The copies that we will be receiving are advance copies.

Sally Bedell Smith

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Here is a link to the author's website:

http://www.sallybedellsmith.com/

About the Book:

In this magisterial new biography, New York Times bestselling author Sally Bedell Smith brings to life one of the world's most fascinating and enigmatic women: Queen Elizabeth II.

From the moment of her ascension to the throne in 1952 at the age of twenty-five, Queen Elizabeth II has been the object of unparalleled scrutiny. But through the fog of glamour and gossip, how well do we really know the world's most famous monarch? Drawing on numerous interviews and never-before-revealed documents, acclaimed biographer Sally Bedell Smith pulls back the curtain to show in intimate detail the public and private lives of Queen Elizabeth II, who has led her country and Commonwealth through the wars and upheavals of the last sixty years with unparalleled composure, intelligence, and grace.

In Elizabeth the Queen, we meet the young girl who suddenly becomes "heiress presumptive" when her uncle abdicates the throne. We meet the thirteen-year-old Lilibet as she falls in love with a young navy cadet named Philip and becomes determined to marry him, even though her parents prefer wealthier English aristocrats. We see the teenage Lilibet repairing army trucks during World War II and standing with Winston Churchill on the balcony of Buckingham Palace on V-E Day. We see the young Queen struggling to balance the demands of her job with her role as the mother of two young children. Sally Bedell Smith brings us inside the palace doors and into the Queen's daily routines—the "red boxes" of documents she reviews each day, the weekly meetings she has had with twelve prime ministers, her physically demanding tours abroad, and the constant scrutiny of the press-as well as her personal relationships: with Prince Philip, her husband of sixty-four years and the love of her life; her children and their often-disastrous marriages; her grandchildren and friends.

Compulsively readable and scrupulously researched, Elizabeth the Queen is a close-up view of a woman we've known only from a distance, illuminating the lively personality, sense of humor, and canny intelligence with which she meets the most demanding work and family obligations. It is also a fascinating window into life at the center of the last great monarchy.

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 10, 2011 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Advance Praise:

"She was so young, and the task was so enormous. Yet with grace and a determination to do her duty come what may-and so much has indeed come-Elizabeth II studiously made herself part of the fabric of global civilization in the most tumultuous of times. This is a terrific book about a fascinating figure."-Jon Meacham

"A deeply researched, unvarnished, and therefore totally fascinating portrait of the transcendent icon of our age... Many authors have written about Elizabeth II, but none of them can match the literary style, wit, or insightful commentary of Sally Bedell Smith."-Amanda Foreman

"In an era plagued by flawed public figures, the world's most famous woman has graced her realm impeccably for sixty years. She does so by being both mysterious and grounded. Sally Bedell Smith, through great reporting and insightful writing, provides a revealing look inside the palace to show how the Queen balances being both modern and traditional. Our celebrity-saturated world could learn a lot from her-and from this book."-Walter Isaacson

"This is a biography that avoids none of the difficult questions. Sally Bedell Smith asks them in a way no one else has dared."-Nancy Milford

"Elizabeth the Queen shows the woman as well as the monarch, and helps us to understand how Elizabeth has become a key figure in the history of our times."-Margaret MacMillan

"Elizabeth the Queen is an engaging, insightful, and altogether entertaining journey through the life and trials of the world's most beloved monarch. By the end of Sally Bedell Smith's winning book, I felt as if I had a new friend in Buckingham Palace."-Tom Brokaw

"A compelling, deeply human portrait of the remarkable Elizabeth II. This is a biography not to be missed."-Lynne Olson

"Sally Bedell Smith's Elizabeth the Queen is a remarkable and sympathetic portrait of Queen Elizabeth II. At the same time, it provides a fascinating picture of the major modern enterprise that monarchy has become. It is a deft and very readable book."-Michael Korda

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 10, 2011 07:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Folks who have already signed up for advance copies are:

Bentley (my copy does not count to the 25 available) (November 8th)
1. Bryan Craig (November 8th)
2. Jill Hutchinson (November 8th)
3. Emily (November 10th)
4. Becky (November 10th)

☯Emily  Ginder I am interested in the book, but I don't see how I can contact you with my address. Any suggestions?

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments Here I am - very interested in the Elizabeth biography.

Becky

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emily wrote: "I am interested in the book, but I don't see how I can contact you with my address. Any suggestions?"

Emily I have contacted you and have also placed you on the list. Please let me know that you got my note.

Bentley

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 10, 2011 07:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hello Becky,

You already have my history book club email address; so please forward to me your full name and address where you want to receive the advance copy.

I am delighted that you are interested in the book and the discussion. i have placed you on the list.

Bentley

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley wrote: "Emily wrote: "I am interested in the book, but I don't see how I can contact you with my address. Any suggestions?"

Emily I have contacted you and have also placed you on the list. Please let me ..."

Received your note and you are confirmed.

message 10: by Matt (new)

Matt (blizz) | 2 comments Wow interested in this read :)

message 11: by Toni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Toni (tsutton) I would love a copy!

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt and Toni, please send me your full name and addresses. You have to agree to also participate in the group discussion and read the book; but other than that - there are no strings attached - just enjoy and get your all expenses paid advanced copy. Enjoy.

Andie (plusverb) I would love a copy and would be happy to participate in the discussion in January! PMing you my details now :)

message 14: by Neil (new)

Neil | 15 comments I'm in. Will pm you.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jlpwrs) | 2 comments I would love to read and discuss this book. This is exactly the type of book I have been waiting for here.

Barbara (barbaraannewaite) I would love a copy. I actually watched the Queen drive right past me about 25 years ago- thrilling day. Will PM you details

message 17: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 11, 2011 05:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Folks who have already signed up for advance copies are:

Bentley (my copy does not count to the 25 available) (November 8th)
1. Bryan Craig (November 8th) confirmed
2. Jill Hutchinson (November 8th) confirmed
3. Emily (November 10th) - confirmed
4. Becky (November 10th) - confirmed
5. Matt - November 10th - confirmed
6. Toni - November 10th - confirmed
7. Andrea - November 10th - confirmed
8. Neil - November 10th - confirmed
9. Jessica - November 10th - confirmed
10. Barbara Anne - November 10th - confirmed
11. Lynne - November 10th - confirmed
12. Rick - November 10th - confirmed
13. Lewis - November 10th - confirmed
14. Lori Foote - November 10th - confirmed
15. Vincent - November 10th - confirmed
16. Dan Fulghum - November 10th - confirmed
17. Virginia - November 10th - confirmed
18. Stacy Chambers - November 10th - confirmed
19. TJ - November 10th - need address
20. Jason - November 10th - confirmed
21. Lavender - November 11th - confirmed
22. Lisa - November 11th - confirmed
23. Kathy (K.P. - November 11th - confirmed
24. Debra Brown - November 11th - confirmed
25. Anne - November 11th - confirmed

Lynne (lbrosch) | 11 comments Not sure if there are any more copies available but I would love to participate in this discussion. The book sounds wonderful. I will PM you with the mailing address.

message 19: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 10, 2011 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica, Barbara Anne and Lynne - I need for you to send me your full names and address where you would like the advance copy to be sent via PM.

message 20: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick | 6 comments I would like a copy! I'll send details in a PM. Thanks!!

message 21: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Codington | 291 comments I would love to receive the book.

message 22: by Vincent (last edited Nov 10, 2011 08:34PM) (new)

Vincent | 1 comments I would totally like to receive and read this book!

message 23: by Dan (new)

Dan Fulghum | 18 comments Dan Fulghum. I would like to get a copy of the book as well. It looks like a great read.

Barbara (barbaraannewaite) Bentley how do I find your e-mail address to send you my address in a PM?

message 25: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara Anne wrote: "Bentley how do I find your e-mail address to send you my address in a PM?"

Barbara Anne, I sent you a friend invite, I approved it on my end so you should now be able to send me a PM.

Virginia (tootwistedtv) I would like a copy as well if there are still any available.

message 27: by Dan (last edited Nov 10, 2011 08:47PM) (new)

Dan Fulghum | 18 comments Bently. How can I PM you to get you my address?

message 28: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan wrote: "Bently. How can I PM you to get you my address?"

Dan, I sent you a friend request; accept it and then you can send me a PM.

message 29: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ (tjjones) | 2 comments Hi Bently, I am most interested but probably too late. Thanks. TJ

message 30: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginia wrote: "I would like a copy as well if there are still any available."

You are confirmed; I just got your address.

message 31: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 10, 2011 09:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ wrote: "Hi Bently, I am most interested but probably too late. Thanks. TJ"

You are on the cusp; let me see the timestamps; I think you are still OK but let me check.

UPDATE: You are in if I get your full name and mailing address. Send to me as a PM.

Jason | 104 comments I am interested I will send you a private message as soon as I figure out how to do that. Thanks, Jason

message 33: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jason, I received it and you are confirmed.

Jason | 104 comments Bentley wrote: "Jason, I received it and you are confirmed."

W00t!

message 35: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) I hope to be "in" -- sent you my name and address. Looks like a good book!

message 36: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lavender wrote: "I hope to be "in" -- sent you my name and address. Looks like a good book!"

You are confirmed (smile)

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Swift If there are any copies available, I would love to participate and discuss the book.

Lisa

message 38: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa wrote: "If there are any copies available, I would love to participate and discuss the book.

Lisa"

Lisa you are in but you need to send me your full name and mailing address. Send it via a PM. Also I sent you a friend request so that you could do just that.

Bentley

message 39: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 10, 2011 10:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Right now, I still need private PMs from Bryan Craig, Jill, Matt, TJ, Becky, Lisa so that I can confirm you and complete the list.

message 40: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 10, 2011 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Right now there are 22 books that have requests in; only 4 of those remain unconfirmed meaning I need either full names and/or mailing addresses for those four so that the books can be sent to them. I have received all of the others.

Currently, I also have three other open slots. And I know that these will go fast. Requests will be time stamped.

message 41: by K.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.P. Vorenberg | 5 comments I would love to participate if you still have room for one more.

Kathy

message 42: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 10, 2011 10:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, I do have room Kathy; send me your mailing address and full name via PM; I sent you a friend invite so that you could send me a PM.

message 43: by K.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.P. Vorenberg | 5 comments Will do that right now :)

Kathy

message 44: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 10, 2011 10:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Right now there are 24 books that have requests in; only 4 of those remain unconfirmed meaning I need either full names and/or mailing addresses for those four so that the books can be sent to them. I have received all of the others. (Need mailing addresses for Bryan Craig, Jill, TJ, Matt and K.P and Debra.

Currently, I also have one other open slot aside from those slots that need confirmation. And I know that this last one will go fast. Requests will be time stamped.

message 45: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Brown (debrabrown) | 13 comments I would love to join in on this.

message 46: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debra wrote: "I would love to join in on this."

Debra, I have added your name; however, I need for you to PM me your mailing address etc so that you can receive the book.

I sent you a friend invite so that you could PM me.

message 47: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debra, you are confirmed. Thank you.

message 48: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Brown (debrabrown) | 13 comments Is there still one more slot? The next person might be confused because it says one more before me. Then there was me. But before I signed up it said two more, so it is confusing for the next person. I did not get the last slot, right?

message 49: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 10, 2011 11:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

No you did not; there is one more available slot. And I will also wait list any slot not confirmed. The pace has been fast and I have been cross referencing the thread and PMs. I have been updating message 17 as I have gone along.

message 50: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Brown (debrabrown) | 13 comments I love that picture of QEII. Beautiful!

« previous 1 3 4