Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Goodreads Addictions Anonymous

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MeMe Belikova (last edited Nov 10, 2011 05:36PM) (new)

MeMe Belikova First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 950 comments Photobucket
I LOVE Goodreads! It is everything I could ask for in a website, you have book clubs, book lovers, book swappers,book search engine at your finger tips, and just people that are crazy about books like the rest of us! This is your chance to proclaim your love for Goodreads.

How much do you love Goodreads? How often do you login to your account? Do you find yourself on this website more than you actually read? What do You look forward to when you come on Goodreads?

Dont be shy! Confess your love lol

message 2: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Tanecia  (books101) | 3795 comments Mod
I'm obsessed with Goodreads! I have instant emails through my Cell phone during the day when I'm at work...which stinks because I cant really use my phone but I do occasionally hide some where to join in the conversation! *haha I know that's bad* And when I get off of work I try to read before I get on this site because I'll end up staying on my computer for hours! So yeah talk about someone who doesn't have a life lol !!! But I don't care I cant believe I didn't know about this site sooner it drives me crazy! So yeah I'm sorta crazy about this site....LOve IT! :)

message 3: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia | 352 comments i'm on goodreads at least once a day, i love this website i can keep track of what i read and what i want to read so much easier than before i found this site. i would write lists off books on papers and end up losing them. i also love the different groups they have because without them i would have no one to rant about books to. ( some of my friends seem a little annoyed whenever i start ranting about a book so i don't rant to them very often anymore) i love this website! :^D

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this website much! I can't believe I just found out about it. I love to chat on here and see what people are reading. It is addicting so I really have to pull away from it and continue to read and blog.
Really glad I found this site!

message 5: by MeMe Belikova (new)

MeMe Belikova First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 950 comments I agree @janiera I found out about this website a year or two ago and I've been hooked since! I have more books on my 'to read' list and this website has opened up my mind to so many different genres that I would of never read before and I have so many friends to talk about books! I love goodreads!

message 6: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Sheri | 12174 comments Mod
I actually joined Goodreads about 1-1/2 years ago and used it to keep track of books, but I just recently discovered the groups. I LOVE it!! I find myself checking periodically throughout the day to see what I'm missing. I love discussing books and getting to know the people in the groups. Since I'm self-employed and on my computer all day, I have had to start limiting the number of times I can open Goodreads during the day or I do not get work done!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarealist) | 14 comments I joined last month and I am on here as much as I read! I am obsessed with this site and glad to finally interact with people who share my same exact interests!!
Facebook who?

message 8: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) | 3489 comments Mod
I joined about a year ago also, I was off work for surgery and was bored and found this site, I am on here about 5 times a day and love it. Its great way to keep track of what I am reading or what I want to read, my to be read list just keeps getting longer and longer.

message 9: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Tana wrote: "I joined about a year ago also, I was off work for surgery and was bored and found this site, I am on here about 5 times a day and love it. Its great way to keep track of what I am reading or w..."

Lol I know how you feel when you say your list is get longer and longer :)

message 10: by Tana (new)

sometimes when I have nothing to read I look at my list and its like holy way too many choices... then I go buy a complete different book thats not even on my list. Yesterday on one of the discussion threads I seen a book and said oh that sounds like a good book and I wrote I'm going to go buy it. Then one of my friends said hey are you still in the group reads for a different series and I said oh yeah lol so know I have 4 books I have to go read. Its a crazy addiction this place.

message 11: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Tana wrote: "sometimes when I have nothing to read I look at my list and its like holy way too many choices... then I go buy a complete different book thats not even on my list. Yesterday on one of the discus..."

Lol I'm sitting here laughing because I do the exact same thing! I also get frustrated because I'm not reading my tbr list fast enough but then again I'm constantly adding more books to it hah I guess we do have an addiction! :)

message 12: by Tana (new)

they say the first step to an addiction is to admit we are powerless over our addiction LOL.

so here goes

my name is tana and I am a book addict.

message 13: by Tanecia , The bookworm (last edited Nov 29, 2011 09:03PM) (new)

My name is Tt and I'm a book addict and I twitch whenever I see a pretty book cover and I tell myself have to have it. I need serious help.

Lol

message 14: by Tana (new)

LOl Tt, I don't think I will be much help as I would be buying those books along with you.lol

message 15: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I love goodreads.
Why?
Because I could find new books to read and hunt it on the bookstore.
I meet new friends and I could exchange thoughts about books. (most of my friends aren't into books, well maybe a few of them)
the recommendations and as well fun searching new to-read books :)

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) I love goodreads because I have found awesome books that I don't think I would have otherwise read. A couple of months ago I realized I was spending so much time on GR that I wasn't actually doing that much reading! Plus I just like to find people with similar reading tastes and have good conversations about what we're reading.

message 17: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Melissa wrote: "I love goodreads because I have found awesome books that I don't think I would have otherwise read. A couple of months ago I realized I was spending so much time on GR that I wasn't actually doing ..."

I love Goodreads and have often thought maybe I should get off the computer and go read a while :)

message 18: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Melissa wrote: "I love goodreads because I have found awesome books that I don't think I would have otherwise read. A couple of months ago I realized I was spending so much time on GR that I wasn't actually doing ..."

yes i have that exact problem! I had to manage my time because i would be on goodreads sometimes all day.So now i read first and then I get on here after I get some reading done before. So your not alone lol

message 19: by Tana (new)

lol welcome to the addiction group were all the same lol

message 20: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Lol yes we have no shame in our game haha

message 21: by Tana (new)

I have the tune from cheers in my head lol or does that show my age LOL

message 22: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

*sings* Sometimes you want to go Where everybody knows your name,and they're always glad you came.You wanna be where you can see,our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows Your name. lol

message 23: by Tana (new)

thats it lol

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Peterson | 217 comments I think I may have a bit of a worship problem with this site. I absolutely adore it. I'm on here either by computer when I'm making dinner or eating a meal. And on my phone if I get a message or see something I think I need on my to-read list. I love getting and answering messages.

message 25: by Tana (new)

I bounce around goodreads all evening, I joined to many groups sometimes I get lost trying to remember what thread I was on lol then I have to scroll up top to see what group im chatting in LOL

message 26: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

lol thats funny ^^^

message 27: by Renee (new)

Renee | 155 comments I'm loving it.
It's one of my new years resolutions to read atleast 52 books this year and with thanks to the website I can keep track of what I've read and what I thought of them and everything... So helpful. It's so nice to meet other people who share my passion for reading too and to be able to read what they though of books. :-)

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 149 comments I joined Goodreads on Jan. 1-today is Jan. 23. It's my home page. I check it every few seconds. Am I addicted? Yes:)))))))))))

message 29: by Nikki88 (new)

Nikki88 | 23 comments I love good reads , I think it is the best book site and I have been a member for awhile but never joined groups but am glad I did:) I was missing out . I love the way you can keep track of your books and add books to your lists .

I am not able to post as much as I would like to but I try to at least get here once a week:) Time management it my troubles Hahaha (Bad at it)

message 30: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (shadowkissedcassie) | 7 comments I sign in to goodreads everyday and Im not sure how I lived without it before two years ago. Its like facebook but for people like me...that read! Has anyone tried Librarything.com? Its similar. I love the First Reads Giveaways on here!

message 31: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

I post my reviews on Librarything, but I haven't done anything else with the site...except the giveaways :)

message 32: by Nawnee (new)

Nawnee (nawnees) | 82 comments I'm totally addicted to this site how could you not love a site that gives so much to it's book addicts. I knew it was love when I started receiving free books, how you could not love a site that will save you money on books, let you talk to other book lovers and get more book recommendations with out the spam, plus you can talk to the authors on here to. I constantly have this site open. This site has made me believe in love at first site lmao ;)

message 33: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Haha I agree Nawnee!

message 34: by Steph (new)

Steph Armato (steph_armato) | 2 comments Tt wrote: "My name is Tt and I'm a book addict and I twitch whenever I see a pretty book cover and I tell myself have to have it. I need serious help.

Lol"

Really?:)I thought I was the only one who had this!:D I'm always at the library or in the book section of a store:)LOl

message 35: by Steph (new)

Steph Armato (steph_armato) | 2 comments I am ADDICTED to Goodreads! I love how I have a chance to see all different types of books, but there so many!"So many books, so little time!"

message 36: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Lol Stephanie! I am always at the book store too because we don't have a lot of libraries where I live. But GR is the best! I can't believe I missed out on this site for all these years.

message 37: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Just the opposite...we don't have any bookstores where I live. I have to order everything online...usually from Amazon.

message 38: by Martha (new)

Martha  (iread1105) | 157 comments when i was younger and we only had one car i would beg and plead my mum to take me to the public library.
my dad usually had the car so we would walk the mile to get to it and we would spend all day in there reading and looking for books that i could bring home with me. usually i'd be done with all the books before my two weeks were up and then the begging and pleading would begin again.
now thank God i can drive and even if i couldnt its not too far of a walk. :D

message 39: by Nawnee (new)

Nawnee (nawnees) | 82 comments Martha wrote: "when i was younger and we only had one car i would beg and plead my mum to take me to the public library.
my dad usually had the car so we would walk the mile to get to it and we would spend all da..."

So you must know what it's like to have the librarian look at your arm load of over 30 books and ask if you are sure you want to check them all out... I always laugh it usually takes about 2 weeks to read all 30 and then I'm back for more this doesn't seem to keep me from buying books though.

message 40: by Nawnee (new)

Nawnee (nawnees) | 82 comments I added that book widget to track how many books I actually read in a year I keep having to fix the thing cause it seems to glitch and not add the books unless i post a review with it. But so far since jan I've read 29 books it says and it's still missing some. All this did was confirm my belief that i have a problem and might need meetings. lmao I'm just positive it would turn into a book group instead of a help Nawnee's addiction group lmao

message 41: by Martha (new)

Martha  (iread1105) | 157 comments Nawnee wrote: "Martha wrote: "when i was younger and we only had one car i would beg and plead my mum to take me to the public library.
my dad usually had the car so we would walk the mile to get to it and we wo..."

hahah yes i do know. i ended up doing volunteer work there and getting to know all the librarians there. it was awesome! they were always some of my favorite people to be around with. 30 books? my limit was 15 unfortunately thats why i always wanted to go back asap. and no me neither i have books that take up more room then anything else in my room. i keep a list in a notebook of the books i read.

message 42: by Nawnee (new)

Nawnee (nawnees) | 82 comments Martha wrote: "Nawnee wrote: "Martha wrote: "when i was younger and we only had one car i would beg and plead my mum to take me to the public library.
my dad usually had the car so we would walk the mile to get ..."

I did the volunteer at the library when I was in high school if I did that now I might just sleep there lol. Our library doesn't have a limit on books just movies and cds so sometimes I go a little overboard lol

message 43: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

My mom worked at the library when I was in high school, so we were there all the time to visit...Plus no late fees :P