The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) The Shadow of the Wind question

Has anyone else noticed ..... ?
Brian Baker Brian (last edited Dec 01, 2011 12:32PM ) Nov 10, 2011 09:14AM
... that central character Daniel Sempere dramatically announces on page 324 that "In seven days' time, I would be dead.", and yet carries on living for at least another twelve years?

On second thoughts ... there is a section entitled "Postmortem" in which it's explained that Daniel's heart stopped beating for 'sixty-four seconds' after he was shot by Fumero, so technically he did 'die' and I grudgingly withdraw my complaint.

I noticed this book was so awesome it knocked my socks off.

noticed it but i was glad that daniel was alive

Maybe it was a metaphor and he forgot about it. It's nice to know one can recover from death.

I noticed that

I took the line, after finished the reading as "the old,naive Daniel dies and rises this new man, that is about to fulfill his life goals".

Zafón writtes that, after the blood transfusion that he took from Fermin, he" passed some of his wisdom to him".Plus, he cutted with all the old forms of behaviour: his adoration for Clara, his naivety, his boyish manners, the fear of Mr. Aguilar,Beatriz´s father.

I loved the book and have to read more of this author.

Maxi Bolongaita I concur. It was meant to feel literal to add to the suspense of the book but in fact it was metaphorical.
Apr 03, 2012 02:18AM · flag
Samhy I agree too, but I think it can be seen as both literal (his heart stopped, which is how someone is said to be dead) and metaphorical (after that it w ...more
Aug 12, 2012 09:30AM · flag

I was really quite annoyed by that melodramatic line. It did add some frenzy to my reading- WHAT, HOW CAN HE DIE???- but at the end, when I realized... It made me kind of mad at the author. Pulling a lame trick like that. It worked, but it was cheap.

it annoyed me so much but then I thought of it as an artistic freedom glitch!

Brian wrote: "... that central character Daniel Sempere dramatically announces on page 324 that "In seven days' time, I would be dead.", and yet carries on living for at least another twelve years?

On second..."
it annoyed me so much but then I thought of it as an artistic freedom glitch!

no, did not notice that line...love the book, love the author

Hummm no, actually I never noticed that!

Me neither. Maybe it was just his imagination.