Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Flashman (The Flashman Papers, #1)
This topic is about Flashman
Questions > ISBN Issue: What should I do?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by F. (new) - rated it 2 stars

F. (inkmonkey) | 6 comments The copy I have lists an ISBN different to the one listed here, but the cover is the same. Should I add an alternate edition even though the cover is the same, or should I change the ISBN even though it may be correct for other people?

message 2: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Do not change the ISBN of the existing edition. Shelve the edition which matches your own ISBN. If it lacks a cover, you can upload the cover that matches it by copying from the other book's record.

message 3: by F. (new) - rated it 2 stars

F. (inkmonkey) | 6 comments But it doesn't lack a cover. The cover is the same, whereas the ISBN is different and doesn't match any in the Goodreads database.

message 4: by Lobstergirl (last edited Nov 09, 2011 11:56PM) (new)

Lobstergirl What is your ISBN?

Have you typed your ISBN into the search box to see if it imports?

message 5: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Fatima wrote: "But it doesn't lack a cover. The cover is the same, whereas the ISBN is different and doesn't match any in the Goodreads database."

I mean if the GR record lacks a cover image. Not that the physical book itself lacks a cover.

message 6: by F. (new) - rated it 2 stars

F. (inkmonkey) | 6 comments ISBN: 000775051X
ISBN13: 9780007750511

Yes, I have.

message 7: by Lobstergirl (last edited Nov 10, 2011 12:11AM) (new)

Lobstergirl That brings up this record on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Flashman/dp/000...

with publisher listed as Ted Smart. You will need to manually create the book record since it's not importing automatically.

message 8: by F. (new) - rated it 2 stars

F. (inkmonkey) | 6 comments That Amazon record is wrong, then. But okay, thanks. :)

message 9: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl You're welcome.

message 10: by F. (new) - rated it 2 stars

F. (inkmonkey) | 6 comments I just added it here: Flashman. Can you check it out to see if it looks okay? Is there a way I can link it to the other editions? The text is what I got from the back cover. (This my first time adding a book, so I hope you don't mind!)

message 11: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Looks okay to me. The way you combine it with the other editions is by clicking on "combine" on the far right, next to "other editions." Then put a check mark by your new edition and a check mark next to the other editions of the same book.