World Mysteries and Thrillers discussion

Random Chats > What do you like to listen to when you read (or write)?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna, Moderator & Founder (new)

Anna (aetm) | 250 comments Mod
What do you like to listen to when you read (or write)?
Any particular type of music? Or just a nice quietness, or nice outdoors sounds?

I mostly read without music on the background, and if there is music, it's always instrumental, and either ambient or some other instrumental stuff (classical is ok). My brain can't deal with words that I hear when I read.

I'm looking for some more ideas for (especially) inspiring writing music.

Some of my favorites (with pure silence):
- Kung fu panda soundtrack
- Requiem for a dream soundtrack (for writing depressing parts)
- Passion, by Peter Gabriel (especially writing in the dark)
- Apocalyptica (playing Metallica)
and similar - instrumental, but it needs to have a kick of some kind.

Atsukoatsushinakahara (atsuko_atsushinakahara) | 1 comments me too, I love quite when i read or write

message 3: by Alexander (new)

Alexander McNabb (alexandermcnabb) Passion. Brilliant.

George Winston, when writing - my first book was totally inspired by one his songs, February Seas. I went to sleep listening to it, thinking of a girl dancing in the rain. I woke up with the whole book in my head, just 'there'.

Love Secret Garden as writing music, too and anything Howard Budd or Brian Eno get up to is perfect - ambient music is great for writing.

As for reading, you could set bombs off around me and I'd still have my head in my Kindle.

Doesn't sound right, does it, having your head in a Kindle?

message 4: by Alexander (new)

Alexander McNabb (alexandermcnabb) Even worse, to have your head in a Kindle in an oven!

The great thing about the Kindle leather cover is the little reading light - so you can even read in the oven! :)

message 5: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Fields (tricia_fields) | 1 comments I listen to particular songs to set the mood when I write. For my last book, I listened to the Cowboy Junkies, one song in particular - A Common Disaster. That song can put me in a dark mood almost instantly!

message 6: by Art (new)

Art | 53 comments Sometimes I will listen to music that sets the mood to what I'm reading, but a lot of the time I don't care. I used to work in a sawmill and read on my breaks there, after that I pretty much can read through anything.

message 7: by Aline (new)

Aline (aline1102) | 3 comments If I can't avoid listening to anything while reading or writing, I prefer the background music to be classical music.

message 8: by Cherilynn (new)

Cherilynn Domer | 2 comments I listen to NPR when I read.

message 9: by A J (new)

A J Burton (bullburton) | 5 comments When I write I may have music, or news channel once I am in the zone I hear nothing anyway.

message 10: by Don (new)

Don (drfrazier) | 5 comments For me it is light new orleans jazz

message 11: by Magda (new)

Magda Allani | 12 comments For me, I need total silence!

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna (annadrake) | 1 comments I listen to classical music when reading or writing.

message 13: by David (new)

David Callinan (davidcallinan) | 4 comments I write to sound of birdsong. I live in the Forest Of Dean.

David Callinan