Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > PNR high in intricate plot?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vidya (new)

Vidya (vidyasamson) | 82 comments Too much of the PNR I’ve read is low on intricate plot. I’m a huge fan of the Vampire Diaries [TV show]. I haven’t read the books because I saw some very negative reviews on Goodreads and I read the books aren't like the TV series.

The tv series – wow. Something exciting happening in every episode. Twists and turns and you never know what’s going to happen next.

So PLEASE suggest to me some PNR that has an exciting plot that evolves over a series of books. Or is there no such thing? Do we need to go to high fantasy like Lord of the Rings for that kind of intricate plot? I’m not a big fan of high fantasy though I enjoyed LOTR as a kid. But on the whole I prefer urban fantasy.

Thanks!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments Have you read Night Huntress

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments or Kate Daniels?

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments or- not much romance, but these two are good (UF)

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments another one short on romance, but lots of tension:

Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire

message 6: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 0 comments I watched the Vampire Diaries for a while and then read the books...really the only thing the same between the two are the names of the people. If you changed the names of the people in the TV show, you wouldn't even realize the book and TV show were supposed to be the same.

I read the first three books in the series but then got bored with them. There just wasn't enough to hold my interest.

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie  (annieac) Sheri wrote: "I watched the Vampire Diaries for a while and then read the books...really the only thing the same between the two are the names of the people. If you changed the names of the people in the TV sho..."

I read the first one. I felt like I lost a couple of brain cells because of it. I like the show though. I am glad it is not following the books.

message 8: by Vidya (new)

Vidya (vidyasamson) | 82 comments Thanks, Alana. Haven’t read any of these so far. Will check them out. Thanks!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments Night Huntress is a smoking strong leading lady half-vampire, half-human- and wait till you meet Bones! They are adult, though...

Kate Daniels is hard to get through the first book- because you get "thrown" into her world. It's almost a feeling like you've missed a book or two, but you haven't and it's worth sticking with it.

Storm Front is Harry Dresden, wizard. He rocks- he has funny, funny lines. It's always a roller coaster ride, great world building, character building... I love his stuff

Hounded is the first of the Iron Druid Chronicles- you will bust out laughing. His dog, Oberon is a laugh riot. It's got lots of action, and funny dialogue... just read it, there's 3 out so far...

Rosemary and Rue is the first of the October Daye series. She's a "changling", basically half-fairy -kinda... it starts out with her having been a fish for like 10 years while on a case (she is a private investigator)... and while there is little to no nooky (in the first book anyway) there is plenty to "dream" about (but Tybalt is mine!)

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) The Guardians series by Meljean Brook staring with Demon Angel (The Guardians, #1) by Meljean Brook , have the most intricate plot and world building I've ever read in UF. Unfortunately, the writing didn't agree as much with me.

I second IAD too, it has an interesting world building, though not as intricate as The Guardians.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 407 comments I totally agree with suggestion of the Guardians by Meljean Brook. The first couple have so much backstory and world building it spoils the story a bit. However as the books go along she has refined her style and the last couple Demon Blood and Demon Marked have been excellent.

The Fever series by karen M Moning is quite intricate and totally involving and has a a kick-a** hero in Jericho Barrons as an added bonus.

The Final Prophecy series by Jessica Andersen about the 2012 Doomsday prophecy also has a more involved plot as well as romance.

Finally the Downside Ghosts trilogy by Stacia Kane also has a totally involving plot as well as great evolving romance but is dark and gritty as well.

message 12: by Katya (new)

Katya | 645 comments Try these books. They have more involved storylines: The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1) by Amanda Stevens Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Blue Bells of Scotland (Blue Bells Trilogy, #1) by Laura Vosika Bound by Blood (The Garner Witch #1) by P.A. Lupton Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison

message 13: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments I suggest Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost :D

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sperry (bubblespopsify) | 32 comments I totally second the Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost and the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments Oh, and I almost forgot- huge storyline... but again, adult... some like it some don't-

The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1) by Anne Rice

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1127 comments I have to throw in Vicki Pettersson's Signs of the Zodiac, Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros, and Eileen Wilks' World of the Lupi

The Scent of Shadows (Signs of the Zodiac, #1) by Vicki Pettersson Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi, #1) by Eileen Wilks

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 111 comments I definitely second Night Huntress & Black Dagger Brotherhood and add Mortal Instruments (which isn't really PNR, but it's Paranormal YA)

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

message 18: by Christine (last edited Nov 09, 2011 05:21PM) (new)

Christine | 1127 comments I can't believe I forgot to mention both of Nalini Singh's series. She's my hands down favorite PNR author. Despite some of the titles of her Psy/Changeling series. : D

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh

message 19: by Vidya (new)

Vidya (vidyasamson) | 82 comments Thanks so much everyone. will check these out.

message 20: by Duchess Nicole (new)

Duchess Nicole | 138 comments Lisa wrote: "I totally agree with suggestion of the Guardians by Meljean Brook. The first couple have so much backstory and world building it spoils the story a bit. However as the books go along she has refin..."

Is Downside Ghosts a Trilogy? I've been waiting to read it because I thought it was a series. I've heard really good things about it.

I agree with the Fever recommends. There is a lot going on there, though I may be biased b/c its one of my all time faves.

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (last edited Nov 10, 2011 07:16AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments I think the Demonica series by Larissa Ione has fascinating worldbuilding. I was impressed.

The Darkyn series by Lynn Viehl also has intricate worldbuilding and seems consistently underrated.

I agree with some of the other books listed. I personally didn't like the Nightkeeper books by Anderson, but it does have intricate worldbuilding.

Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione
If Angels Burn (Darkyn, #1) by Lynn Viehl

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1127 comments Another I forgot: The Sentinel Wars by Shannon K. Butcher

Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1) by Shannon K. Butcher

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 407 comments Duchess Nicole wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I totally agree with suggestion of the Guardians by Meljean Brook. The first couple have so much backstory and world building it spoils the story a bit. However as the books go along ..."

Downside ghosts was originally a completed trilogy but because it is so popular it has been extended to another trilogy. If you love Fever, I'd say you will really enjoy Downside. They are my top 2 series in UF. Darkside is very dark,gritty and involving and the heroine has some significant issues, but IMHO an engrossing read.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments but be careful if you are squeamish

message 25: by Duchess Nicole (new)

Duchess Nicole | 138 comments Thank you! I didn't know that. I do believe I have yet another to put on my 'up next' shelf.

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin Sarah wrote: "I totally second the Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost and the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning"

ditto ;0