Grown up Twi-hards! discussion

Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, #4)
This topic is about Breaking Dawn
Three days to become a vampire?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen (havan) At several points it's mentioned that the transformation from human to vampire takes three days.

I recently saw a discussion detailing how Jonah's stay in the belly of the whale was also three days.

Also there were three days between good Friday and Easter (On the third day he arose from the dead)

I've never heard if anyone has asked SM if this parallel was intended or accidental.

Has anyone else heard anything in this regard?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephen wrote: "At several points it's mentioned that the transformation from human to vampire takes three days.

I recently saw a discussion detailing how Jonah's stay in the belly of the whale was also three d..."

Interesting thought but I know nothing.

Shanna (rubberparrot) | 4 comments She is a practising mormon so it's probably a religious derivation

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ann Jacob Yes, u r rite! I hv nevr noticed tht before. Im going to research on it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Shanna wrote: "She is a practising mormon so it's probably a religious derivation"

I am sure you are right. That is one reason I like her books is they are subtle on these points but they are there.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Breaking Dawn was too sad for me. I cried from about the middle to the end and got sick. Thanks to the friend who warned me about how excellent the makeup artists were. I won't buy this DVD or ever watch it again as I do not like to cry that much. Its hard on me to see the heroine tortured so much.

Take Kleenex!!!! You have to see it if you are a fan but its very hard watching her pregnancy.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Jilllian wrote: "I thought the pregnancy was a testament to her strength and will. I loved seeing her in that capacity, willing and able to do anything for the baby that she loved! It was gruesome to watch the de..."

Well, I totally admire Bella. I think she is amazing in how she cares for so many and she was incredible in this part but her suffering was simply too much for me. I am not Catholic but I thought she was like a saint. She loved her baby so much even tho it was killing her!

message 8: by Vallsykes (last edited Dec 08, 2011 01:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vallsykes | 5 comments After reading BD, twice, before Eclipse came out, I had probably desensitized myself. However, I anticipated the birth scene and wondered how they would transfer it on screen. IMO, it got a reaction out of me, but not as deep as reading it had done. The movie was missing Bella's narration. They put the voice over in the wrong part, with the wolves...made it cartoonish...The voice-over should have really been that of Bella's *KSTEW*
In response to the three days symbolism...I am sure it was deliberate, but very subtle as unfortunately being in YA fiction and currently scrutinized to the teeth, most literature groups and critiques mimic negatives that SM falls short literary-wise, the knuckleheads wouldn't dare make reference to the authors technique of allusion or the deep underlying religious and societal markers SM's TWi-saga is FILLED with. For instance, making Bella a seemingly weak character is just a front, Bella throughout the series shows she is far from weak...wonder how many expert critics read far enough to grasp that. I think Bella is put through torture because none of the other characters are equipped to do it...she believed she would be and it actually has the symbolism of her being sacrificed, as the one who will save them all, and then renew herself (IN 3 days)...deeply religious, epic and moral.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Vallsykes wrote: "After reading BD, twice, before Eclipse came out, I had probably desensitized myself. However, I anticipated the birth scene and wondered how they would transfer it on screen. IMO, it got a react..."

Good insight. I had read it 3 times before seeing the movie but I remembered many of the things from the book as I watched the movie. I agree with you that Bella is NOT weak.

Vallsykes | 5 comments Thanks Alice, I'd got a little wound up after going to see BD with twilight fans but fans who haven't read all of the books or didn't "catch" any underlying motives, they kept using the words "fluttery" and "fainting" when talking about Bella. Anyway...:)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Vallsykes wrote: "Thanks Alice, I'd got a little wound up after going to see BD with twilight fans but fans who haven't read all of the books or didn't "catch" any underlying motives, they kept using the words "flut..."

Its very sad how many people misinterpret these things but I have learned much from you on this. I was just thinking about something my Mormon friends told me about God that is one of their beliefs. Some of their beliefs are very interesting. One of them told me that God has a physical body. I knew that we were made in God's image but I have always thought of Him as a Spirit. I think some of this thinking comes out in The Twilight Saga on some level.

Kelsey (bookgirl101) | 23 comments I always have liked bella. I like her personality how she does try to protect the people she knows and loves alot. How can people think that she is annoying and they never say why she is. However, she is strong and strong willed and she wanted to change into a vampire but Edward disagreed about that happening and she told him that that won't be your problem, your problem will be changing me and the rest after that is mine