What will happen next in The Rifter? discussion

I think that's why it's called "epic"--Book Nine

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 217 comments Mod
Book Nine is released today!

message 2: by Whit (new)

Whit (showmethelove) | 51 comments I've got it and I'm scared to read it! I know what's about to happen :-(

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Don't be scare, Whitney, or you'll miss two of my very favorite scenes: the two prisons.

message 4: by Whit (new)

Whit (showmethelove) | 51 comments We've established a support group on FB for tonights read! Prisons just make me think of the bone crunching that went on to get John in that bag! I'll be reading it as soon as the kids go to bed :)

message 5: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments whitney wrote: "We've established a support group on FB for tonights read! Prisons just make me think of the bone crunching that went on to get John in that bag! I'll be reading it as soon as the kids go to bed :)"

I feel kind of guilty for making you all so nervous...(I'm actually nervous too, but that's because I'm hoping that everyone will enjoy the last two books, despite how dark the story may seem at a certain point... )

message 6: by orannia (new)

orannia | 123 comments I'm not reading any comments. Just downloaded it now so will be back once I've read it :) *bites lip*

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) home from work; kids fed; bath run; wine poured..hubby home late... must be Rifterrrrrr time :-D

..and I too am scared!

message 8: by Pink (new)

Pink Penguin (pinkpenguin) | 6 comments whitney wrote: "I've got it and I'm scared to read it! I know what's about to happen :-("

Exactly my feeling, which is why I'm actually holding off on reading the last 3 books until I have them all and I can power through them all at once! I haven't even read book 8, and am reading some of these early comments here but will probably stop so as not to be spoiled. Good to know I'm missing out on some nail biting. December really isn't so far away....

message 9: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Yes, this thread is aptly named. For as I cranked up the Thor movie soundtrack and raced through the last chapters of book nine, I couldn’t help but think THIS IS FRICKIN EPIC. \o/

But seriously, I had to ask myself if Rav has any sense of self-preservation. It's almost like he’s trying to get himself killed. x.x

message 10: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Pink wrote:Exactly my feeling, which is why I'm actually holding off on reading the last 3 books until I have them all..."

I must be masochistic, because I’ve been totally digging that whole agonizing month-long wait between book releases (I didn’t think I would). It’s given me a little shining thing to look forward to from month to month. I don’t know what I’ll do when its all over. Probably cry in the rain and then draw A LOT of bad fan art. D:

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen (JPNH) | 4 comments I understand the trepidation - the way seven ended knots my stomach. However, I only lasted 12 hours before I read nine. I was pleasantly surprised with how a few of the connecting pieces were developed.

After eight I searched a few names for any mention in any of the other episodes - the future steward etc. Has anyone noticed if Hann'yu's son or wife are characters in any of the later timelines?

message 12: by Molli (new)

Molli B. (mollib) | 5 comments Just finished it. So, some questions have been answered, although it didn't end with the scene I anticipated it would. I'm curious to see how it all ties up in just one more book. And excited! And sad :(

I don't remember Istanayye or Du'rai from later in time, but I haven't searched through all of the books. Does anyone know if there's a possibility the entire book will be released in one file at the very end? I'd love to have it in one big epub that I can flip around and search through. That would be awesome, particularly with a non-linear story like this.

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Em-nat wrote: "Probably cry in the rain"

Oh noes, Em-nat, don't cry in the rain. Then no one will see you crying. Cry real loud in the middle of a bank lobby or something like that. Let people know how you feel.

message 14: by Nicole (last edited Nov 10, 2011 11:39AM) (new)

Molli wrote: "I don't remember Istanayye or Du'rai from later in time,"

Du'rai is mentioned later in time. I think Istanayye is probably dead. She's in her mid-thirties in Book 9. Though Wah'roa has managed to reach ancient-hood, I think he's an exception in terms of Basawar longevity. (He's just too stubborn to die of things that would kill normal people, like contracting cholera or being cut in half with a machete.)

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Molli wrote: "Does anyone know if there's a possibility the entire book will be released in one file at the very end? "

Almost certainly not. (Sorry!) The document crashes any program you put it into when it's that long.

message 16: by Molli (new)

Molli B. (mollib) | 5 comments Ooooh, I just remembered where Du'rai was from! Wow, it clicked as soon as you wrote that, Nicole.

From Broken Fortress:
"You're dressed for an occasion," Jath'ibaye commented. "Not this one, I imagine?"

"Du'rai offered me a private recital," Saimura said. He shook his head ruefully.

Kahlil didn't know who Du'rai was, but Jath'ibaye clearly did. He looked impressed.

"That was quick," Jath'ibaye remarked.

"Apparently, I am not without a certain charm."

I really like Saimura. It makes me happy to know that he's still around in twenty-seven years.

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Em-nat wrote: "But seriously, I had to ask myself if Rav has any sense of self-preservation."

Nah, I think he's like one of those child soldiers in a way. Plus he's real religious. :)

message 18: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Nicole wrote: "Oh noes, Em-nat, don't cry in the rain. Then no one will see you crying. Cry real loud in the middle of a bank lobby or something like that..."

My sources tell me that "REAL MEN CRY BLOOD". Googling for confirmation.

message 19: by Em-nat (last edited Nov 10, 2011 03:02PM) (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Nicole wrote:Nah, I think he's like one of those child soldiers in a way. Plus he's real religious. :)"

My first thought was “Kyle would never do something this stupid”. Followed by, “ Oh, Waiiit….” x.x

message 20: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Lisa wrote: "I read it this morning starting at 4:30 AM. I read straight through and when I got to the end of the installment...I just kept hitting the next page on my kindle because I was CERTAIN that that wa..."

Only one more book... but a lot happens in it!

message 21: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Lisa wrote: "...It's just hard to imagine it ending."
I know. When it all started it seemed like it would go on forever-- ten entire months! But now it is a little strange to think that there's only a single book left and the entire story will be done.

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Lisa wrote: "Is it to soon to be asking about a print version again? ;) "

No, Blind Eye Books has officially decided to print The Rifter. We don't know how many volumes it will end up being at the moment, but we do know that it will start being released next fall.

I'll take this moment to also state that we at BEB are all so grateful to all you readers who have decided to take part in our serialization experiment. It was a real gamble. We didn't know who, if anyone would want to participate. We didn't know if anyone would be willing to work with our digital partner, Weightless Books. But it has been an overwhelming success. Thank you all so much!

message 23: by Nicole (new)

Lisa wrote: "Oh let me also say that I never had any issues with Weightless Books in terms of downloading or the book being available the day it was supposed to be there."

That's great to hear!

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Lisa wrote: "Anyways here is my thanks to Ginn for writing and Nicole and BEB for all the genius in the other stuff that went into making The Rifter what it is...AMAZING. "

Thank you, but from my end it was just all part of the service. :)

message 25: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Nicole wrote: "Blind Eye Books has officially decided to print The Rifter...."

This is the Greatest News Ever (master of hyperbole, indeed)! I will buy it, and ask Ginn to sign it, and put it on my shelf, and show it to all my friends, and bleed from my eyeballs in pure joy. YEAH!

And now we will celebrate by cobbling together a Rifter cosplay. We don’t know what sort of Horrible Fate may befall them (there is that last book to consider), but my best friend and I are thinking about Pesha and Besh’anya.

message 26: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Lisa wrote: "To be honest it took me a minute to get on board with the serial story idea. Putting down $30 or whatever it was initially and not knowing if the story would be great...but it was Ginn and I already was such a huge fan that it was a no brainer. I don't think I could do that for just any author."

For me, it wasn’t that down payment on the whole series that made me wary, but the whole concept of “ You mean, I have to WAIT between parts?”

I’m one of those people that picks up series long after the bandwagon has passed just so I can read it all in one go. But for The Rifter, I decided to be supportive, put myself out of my comfort zone and give it a chance. I wouldn’t have known that I'd have so much fun if I hadn’t been open to the experience. :D

message 27: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Molli wrote: "Ooooh, I just remembered where Du'rai was from! Wow, it clicked as soon as you wrote that, Nicole. From Broken Fortress..."

That was so long ago, I'd totally forgotten that. @.@ Thanks for the heads-up.

message 28: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Em-nat wrote: "... we will celebrate by cobbling together a Rifter cosplay. We don’t know what sort of Horrible Fate may befall them (there is that last book to consider), but my best friend and I are thinking about Pesha and Besh’anya. ..."

Cute!!!!!!!!
(You would make an awesome Pesha, in my humble opinion!)

message 29: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Lisa wrote: "Nicole and Ginn - I'm very excited to hear we will get The Rifter in print. However BEB manages it in terms of the number volumes, I don't care. I just want it..."

Thank you for the vote of confidence, Lisa! Out of curiosity, are there any covers you like better than others? (I think the folks at BEB are looking at four print volumes.)

To be honest when this whole thing started I was really worried that it would be asking too much of most readers to take a chance on a serial. But I've been wonderfully surprised by how patient and encouraging all of you here on goodreads have been. (Not to mention how clever!)

message 30: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Molli wrote: "Ooooh, I just remembered where Du'rai was from!..."

I was wondering is anyone would catch that one. Well spotted!

message 31: by orannia (new)

orannia | 123 comments Finished this morning and...was I on tenterhooks the whole way through or what? YIKES! And to finish where it did? Evil Ginn, evil!

message 32: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments orannia wrote: "Finished this morning and...was I on tenterhooks the whole way through or what? YIKES! And to finish where it did? Evil Ginn, evil!"

heh heh heh!

message 33: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 126 comments I'm still recovering, even though I knew it was coming...

message 34: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Antonella wrote: "I'm still recovering, even though I knew it was coming..."

Bravo for taking it on-- and from here on, no more cliffhangers!

message 35: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Ginn wrote: "Cute!!!!!!!!(You would make an awesome Pesha, in my humble opinion!)"

D: That’s the sweetest thing someone has ever said to me!

We figured that we couldn’t convincingly disguise ourselves as any of the male characters, so it’s a good thing there’s so many awesome ladies to choose from. XD And your psychic powers must be working today, because I don’t think I mentioned my intent to dress as Pesha. Maybe it was just a given?

I’m also sort of relieved, because there are some authors that reeeeally dislike cosplay/fan art/fan fiction based on their work. @,@

message 36: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Em-nat wrote: "I’m also sort of relieved, because there are some authors that reeeeally dislike cosplay/fan art/fan fiction based on their work. @,@ ..."

As a rule, I feel really honored when anyone finds something inspiring in my work! I'm all for encouraging creativity!

message 37: by Eugenie (new)

Eugenie (eavienergmailcom) | 7 comments Lisa wrote: "Em-nat said: For me, it wasn’t that down payment on the whole series that made me wary, but the whole concept of “ You mean, I have to WAIT between parts?”

For me, I wasn't worried about either, since often needs must wait for months and months and years between books in a series! When I first heard of the concept, I first thought, "Ginn Hale...Buy! Read! Enjoy!" and then I wondered if it would feel similar to how the first readers of Dickens felt when he first published in serials!

message 38: by Diane (new)

Diane (cirig2) | 15 comments Hi all,
I just finished the book and once again was blown away by the really super storyline. And what a cliffhanger to leave us with! I too, can't imagine how all of this will be wrapped up in just one more installment. This is the first serialized book I have read and I decided to take a chance on it because I love Ginn's writing so much. I am also excited to see that it will be coming out in a print version. I may have to buy it!!

message 39: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Ginn wrote: As a rule, I feel really honored when anyone finds something inspiring in my work! I'm all for encouraging creativity!"

That’s because yer awesome, Ginn! D: If I eat your heart, can I gain your power?

message 40: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Eugenie wrote: "For me, I wasn't worried about either, since often needs must wait for months and months and years between books in a series! When I first heard of the concept, I first thought, "Ginn Hale...Buy! Read! Enjoy!" and then I wondered if it would feel similar to how the first readers of Dickens felt when he first published in serials!"

You would think that someone used to waiting between comic book issues would be savvy with the idea of a serialized format… XD One isn’t as used to reading serialized books nowadays. It took a little coaxing, but my serial novel experience has been a pleasant one.

Wasn’t Dickens paid by the word? I don't think Ginn was paid by the word. D:

message 41: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Diane wrote: "I too, can't imagine how all of this will be wrapped up in just one more installment...."

Howdy there, Diane.

I’ve been surprised before by how quickly and artfully some authors can bring a novel to a conclusion. For instance, while reading The Soul Mirror (Collegia Magica, #2) by Carol Berg I thought, “There is no frickin’ way Berg can finish this book in 25 pages”. And then she did. AND IT BLEW MY MIND.

A Great Author does it when you think it can't be done, and every page is fantastic. @.@ This last Rifter book is going to be good. Oh gah, there's only two weeks left until book ten, isn't there?

message 42: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Em-nat wrote: "Eugenie wrote: "For me, I wasn't worried about either, since often needs must wait for months and months and years between books in a series! When I first heard of the concept, I first thought, "Gi..."

I can't even imagine what a huge manuscript I would have produced if I'd been paid by the word...

message 43: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Em-nat wrote: "This last Rifter book is going to be good.."

I did my best!

message 44: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Em-nat wrote: "That’s because yer awesome, Ginn! D: If I eat your heart, can I gain your power?"

You're more likely to get malaria and hookworms from eating my heart. Though I'd be happy to buy you a burger next time we meet up! ;D

message 45: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Ginn wrote: "You're more likely to get malaria and hookworms from eating my heart ...."

Omnomnom this burger tastes like Ginn Hale. @,@

I hope you know, I'm going to hold you to that. I never forget the promise of food!

message 46: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Em-nat wrote: "Ginn wrote: "You're more likely to get malaria and hookworms from eating my heart ...."

Omnomnom this burger tastes like Ginn Hale. @,@

I hope you know, I'm going to hold you to that. I never fo..."

A promise is a promise and you can hold me to that at the next yaoi-con!

What will happen next in The Rifter?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Soul Mirror (other topics)