European Royalty discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
European Royalty Nominations > Dec 15 - Jan 15: Nominating

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments ***THE TUDORS***

***FICTION OR NON-FICTION***

Okay everyone, it's that time of the month - time to nominate! Anyone who would like to nominate one book may do so in this thread.

The theme this month is THE TUDORS (fiction or non-fiction). It has been a while since we read a Tudor book as a group (I know some people have a love/hate relationship with them). Since this read falls over the holidays, I know a lot of people will be pressed for time, so hopefully the Tudor lovers will be able to squeeze it in!

Since this group has read SO MANY books together, I'm only going to exclude the last two years of books that this group has read from being nominated (so books we read together more than two years ago are now okay). A list of every book this group has read together in the last two years is at the end of this post (alphabetically by author, then by title if we've read more than one book by that author), so please try not to nominate a book from this list.

Please try to check amazon or some other site to make sure the book is easily available - the last thing we want is to nominate some great book that no one can get! If you nominate more than one book, only the first book listed will make it into the voting poll (so save additional books for the next months!). Also, if the book doesn't fit the theme, I won't add it to this month's voting poll, but I will carry it over to the next theme that it does fit under if you would like.

Feel free to nominate one book of your choice in this thread until November 11th, 9pm Eastern.

At around that time, I'll make a voting poll and list all the nominated books in it, and people can vote in the poll until the poll closes (set to last through November 15th). Discussion will start on December 15th.

Happy Nominating!

BOOKS WE HAVE READ AS A GROUP IN THE LAST TWO YEARS (PLEASE DON'T NOMINATE):

Christina, Queen of Sweden: The Restless Life of a European Eccentric by Veronica Buckley

The Greatest Knight: The Story of William Marshal by Elizabeth Chadwick

The Scarlet Lion by Elizabeth Chadwick

Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross

A Venetian Affair: A True Tale of Forbidden Love in the 18th Century by Andrea Di Robilant

The 19th Wife: A Novel by David Ebershoff

To Be Queen: A Novel of the Early Life of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Christy English

Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser

Princesses: The Six Daughters of George III by Flora Fraser

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller

From Splendor to Revolution: The Romanov Women, 1847-1928 by Julia P. Gelardi

The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George

We Two: Victoria and Albert: Rulers, Partners, Rivals by Gillian Gill

The Confessions of Catherine de Medici by C.W. Gortner

Gone with the Windsors by Laurie Graham

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory

The White Queen: A Novel by Philippa Gregory

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

Sex with the Queen: 900 Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers, and Passionate Politics by Eleanor Herman

The Traitor’s Wife by Susan Higginbotham

The Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis

The Devil's Queen: A Novel of Catherine de Medici by Jeanne Kalogridis

Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert Massie

Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert Massie

Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution by Michelle Moran

Harriet and Isabella by Patricia O’Brien

Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman

When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman

The Queen's Secret by Jean Plaidy

Victoria Victorious: The Story of Queen Victoria by Jean Plaidy

Sarum: The Novel of England by Edward Rutherfurd

Avalon: A Novel by Anya Seton

The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn by Alison Weir

Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor

message 2: by Sara W (new)

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (genrequeen) I'll nominate The Queen's Lady by Barbara Kyle

message 4: by Teri (new)

Teri | 4 comments I'd like to nominate Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings by

message 5: by Teri (new)

Teri | 4 comments Teri wrote: "I'd like to nominate Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings by"

Alison Weir

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Witzler (kewitzler) I would like to nominate Unicorn's Blood by Patricia Finney

message 8: by Teri (new)

Teri | 4 comments Laura wrote: "I'll suggest Three Maids for a Crown: A Novel of the Grey Sisters"

Ooh, I've wanted to read that one too (sorry if this isn't appropriate to post in the nomination thread!)

message 9: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Teri wrote: "Laura wrote: "I'll suggest Three Maids for a Crown: A Novel of the Grey Sisters"

Ooh, I've wanted to read that one too (sorry if this isn't appropriate to post in the nomination thr..."

Ha ha, no worries! People do it all the time - it's absolutely fine.

message 10: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Nominating is closed! I'll get a voting thread up sometime today.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.