Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What are you reading November 7?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2091 comments Mod
I'm still reading Frost by Marianna Baer but I'm thinking of putting it down for a few days so I can start on The Devil's Temptation by Kimberly Logan.

message 2: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I am working on Wicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt. I have been meaning to read her new series for awhile and since her newest book is our December book club read, I thought I better get started on that.

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
I've just started, Belong to Me from Shayla Black...

message 4: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1917 comments Mod
I finished up Nora Roberts' The Next Always over the weekend. It didn't really cover any new ground for Roberts but it was satisfying as a comfort read. A part of me finds it really...odd that she's writing about the renovation and running of the Inn at Boonsboro that she and her family run, but I tried to put that out of my mind as I read it.

Not sure what I'm reading next. I have a ton on the TBR--and plenty of romantic suspense at that--but I think I want something lighter. Might try Baby It's Cold Outside by Addison Fox. Sounds like fun.

message 5: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2094 comments Mod
About to read The Virtuoso by Grace Burroughs. And then Heart of Steel by Meljean Brooks.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyw35) | 128 comments I am reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children . It's really, really good so far. I'm having a hard time putting it down.

message 7: by Okie (new)

I have it in my tbr pile, Cindy! I can't wait to start on it. I've heard fantastic reviews :))

message 8: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I have been wanting to read it too, Cindy! I am glad you are liking it!

Aly is so frigging bored | 857 comments Mod
I'm re-reading The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter, I missed her very funny books. After that I'll read In Total Surrender by Anne Mallory, who I have just found out :D She is really great, managed to make me cry and laugh in the 2 books I've read from her.

message 10: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2094 comments Mod
Aly, aren't ANne Mallorys new books great?
I feel like I should always rate Grace Burroughs on an iceskatking or gymnastics scale--you know, high marks for artistic interpretation and low marks for technique. The quality of the rleationships she builds is wonderful, but she just tromps all over basic facts about social relations of the period--and she clearly knows them. So at one point she has her heroine say she can't go stay in hero's house because it would be inappropriate--when he's not there--but that's after she stayed there for days or weeks with him and lots of bachelors and as far as I can tell not even a single female servant.
And she doesn't think things through--so the whole plot depends on heroine believing she could have carried a child to term except for certain things that she did, and yet early on she tells hero (in a context where presumably she is telling the truth)that she was married for five years and couldn't have kids. Just completely inconsistent.
I'll keep reading her, but I really hope she gets a good editor. I have this theory that she had all thes e books she just wrote (I know she had about 20 before she gotpublished)where she just built all these things so deeply into the plot that it was either publish as is or start over, and they published as is but put in little comments to suggest she knows what teh deal was. And that maybe her new books won't have those problems. I certainly hope so becaus ethey are annoying, and yet she writes so lyrically about relationships that I keep buying her books.

Yes, she is amazing! I don't remember why I had any book of hers in my TBR pile, but I am so happy that I did :X

Mrs.ColinBridgerton | 62 comments Just started A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin. So hooked on this series!

message 13: by Dls (last edited Nov 08, 2011 07:26PM) (new)

Dls | 2094 comments Mod
Just realized the scene where we meet the heroine in The Virtuoso makes no sense in the plot. Sigh

message 14: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
Aly, I am glad you are liking Anne Mallory. I enjoy her books too! I need to get her newest one though.

I have it :X I can't wait to read it! The guy is so interesting.

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyw35) | 128 comments Kasey & Okie,

I finished it last night. I really enjoyed it. It only took me 2 days to finish it. It was different than I expected, but in a good way. Some of it was predictable, but I could not for the life of me put it down. I loved the main character. And I just read that there's going to be a sequel. Yay! The movie rights were sold to Fox also, so hopefully there will be a movie soon too.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend it.

Cindy

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyw35) | 128 comments I'm now re-reading This Heart of Mine by SEP. This economy has not been kind to us. :) So I'm borrowing new books from the library and re-reading goodies from my own library. It's actually quite enjoyable.

message 18: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
Thanks, Cindy! I will have to get my hands on that soon.

message 19: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments The Homecoming by JoAnn Ross. I'm enjoying it.

message 20: by Okie (new)

Ditto!

message 21: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Irish, I like Ross's Shelter Bay series a lot. The new one, Lavendar Lane (Jan.3) is a reunion story. Yay!

message 22: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyw35) | 128 comments I just picked up The Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews from the library. I'm giving that one a try. So far it's pretty good.

message 23: by Okie (new)

Finally finished Frost. I had a short work day (yay me :) and I started and finished reading Forbidden by Jana Oliver. I think I'll start on Virals by Kathy Reichs next.

message 24: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I finished Wicked Intentions and I am already halfway through Notorious Pleasures by Elizabeth Hoyt.