Buddhist discussion

The Three Pillars of Zen
This topic is about The Three Pillars of Zen
Buddhist Books > Experience of Enlightenment

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stewart Dorward (sonohashi) | 12 comments I have recently read and been reflecting on this classic book. The portrayals on kensho / satori / enlightenment are powerful and do show the power of the tradition. There is a nagging idea at the back of my mind though. In my study of cults, a few years ago in my religious studies degree, members are often manipulated by physical isolation, sleep and other forms of deprivation, overbearing guru figures. This feels uncomfortably like the sesshin portrayed in this book. I feel much more at ease with shikantaza as a practice. Comments please - I would welcome another perspective, especially from anyone who has been through a sesshin of any length.

message 2: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Very interesting Stewart. I hope others comment.

Does the Cosmos really demand that all humans meet these requirements? Says who? How? Who exactly made these rules and started applying them to humanity?

When do people stop listening to endless Guru's? Was Buddha just another Guru? WHy not?

Steve Goble Shikantaza I like. I have no desire to try sesshin.

Steve Goble As for experience of enlightenment, I find it to be a fleeting thing, certainly not permanent in my case. It's a sensation, in a very precise moment -- and then I slip back into normalcy.

message 5: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Thanks Steve - yes, normalcy is an important part of life. Well worth embracing.

Steve Goble Stewart: What has been your experience with enlightenment? And how do you go about shikantaza? I try to do it daily, but life gets in the way a lot.