Democracy in America Democracy in America discussion


86 views
wow not bad

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jared (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:15AM) (new) - added it

Jared Did you read this book?


message 2: by Kecia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:17AM) (new)

Kecia No, but it's on my TO READ list.


message 3: by Jeanne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeanne Persuit It's surprisingly not that hard to read and it's still so relevant today. You could read the abridged version and still get so much from it.


Karey I'm still working my way through it for night-time reading just before bed. It is incredibly relevant for our day, just like Jeane mentioned.


message 5: by Babak (last edited Feb 27, 2009 07:03AM) (new) - added it

Babak Vandad Yes, it's relevant for our days; I also read his "The Old Regime and the French Revolution". I live in Iran and compared it with the situation of my country's 1979 revolution and yet the book had a lot to say.


Sean Mcdermott Jeanne wrote: "It's surprisingly not that hard to read and it's still so relevant today. You could read the abridged version and still get so much from it."

I thought his comments on race, and also how the two powers that would come to dominate the world in the coming (20th) century would be the US (freedom) and Russia (servitude) were extremely prescient.


Andy Read it 3x since Middle School (yes, a nerd), and I've gotten great insights and inspiration every time


message 8: by James (last edited Mar 11, 2013 07:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

James Karey wrote: "I'm still working my way through it for night-time reading just before bed. It is incredibly relevant for our day, just like Jeane mentioned."

It took about six (6) months to read but worth it. It describes quite well our unique, great country.


James Andy wrote: "Read it 3x since Middle School (yes, a nerd), and I've gotten great insights and inspiration every time"

I can easily see why it needs three reads. It tells us more about our country than most Americans know.


message 10: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Jensen Wonderful book. Read fragments first semester of my freshman year, picked up the whole text at the library and slogged through it in a week. Have re-read sections many a times.


message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Read it for a cultural diversity class I took.


message 12: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Mary wrote: "Read it for a cultural diversity class I took."

Actually I was wrong. It was in my American Lit class.


back to top