Camy Tang/Camille Elliot discussion

Out of print books

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camy (new)

Camy (camytang) | 1293 comments Mod
I recently got my hands on a copy of Practice to Deceive by Patricia Veryan, which is selling for close to $30 on Amazon and other online bookstores, but which my friend lent to me. I was really frustrated that these out of print books which I just want to read are so stinkin' expensive to get a used copy of!

Do you have any out of print books you'd like to read but can't get hold of without ransoming your kids?

message 2: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments um not at present as my bookshelf is so full but I bet I have some out of print books there.
but I know what you mean. My friend wanted the footrot flats books and they were out of print and even second hand you could pay up to $100 for some of the rarer ones. Of course the one I have I can get about $5 for.

message 3: by Camy (new)

OH MY GOSH $100????? ARE YOU SERIOUS?????

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments yes. I paid $79 for one book. Oh I paid $125 for one book too.
that was the highest.
Of course the aussie dollar was not good then it was around the 70 cents. so it meant it wasn't quite as high for my friend but still would have been around $85US.

message 5: by Camy (new)

I don't think I want to read a book so badly that I'd pay that much for it. Well, then again, I used to pay $100 for textbooks for college so maybe that's not too different.

message 6: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments My friend lived in NZ for about 18 months and loved the books so she wanted them because of the connection. I wouldn't pay that much. I did get some cheaper ones under $10 with postage.

message 7: by Shaz (new)

Shaz (zabooksihaveread) | 2 comments My son is wanting me to buy him a book that costs $100.00 and more for a used copy. It is a banned book so if he wants a copy then he just has to pay the price as there was only a very limited amount released and in circulation.

message 8: by Camy (new)

Jenny, I can see if the books have sentimental value. I totally get that.

Shaz, WOW but I could understand in that case why the book costs so much, and it's probably not going to be released in ebook, either!

message 9: by Patricia Kemp (new)

Patricia Kemp Blackmon (itstimetoreadmamaw) I get a bigger thrill out of read a great book I got for free. I know there was a series and I could not find all of the books. Some I found were not so much out the range for me so much as it was for my husband. ;o)

message 10: by Patricia Kemp (new)

Patricia Kemp Blackmon (itstimetoreadmamaw) My Grandmother gave me one of her old books, Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter. I loaned it to my boss and never got it back. I am still not too happy about that.

message 11: by Camy (new)

Patricia, I love reading great free books, too! Yes, I neglected to tell my husband how much I paid for some of the books I bought! I would be totally upset at your boss! That's terrible!

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 40 comments That funny . My street neighbor gave me old classic books yesterday.

message 13: by Camy (new)

Awesome! What books?

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (SharonTroyCentanne) | 3 comments The best place to find out of print or backlist books is at thrift stores and used book stores. Often thrift stores have no idea if a book is valuable or rare, they just want to sell it for a dollar or less! I have found a lot of vintage LI that way, some going back to the 1990s.

message 15: by Camy (new)

I have found a couple valuable books at Goodwill! But those are few and far between, most of the time the book selection is not great.