Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Monthly Group Read Suggestions > A Change-up in how we do our reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

Maggie K | 1282 comments Mod
In our goal of discussing classic Sci-Fi, we have decided to change up how we do our themed nominations. Instead of nominating themes, we are just going to take nominations from 'Classic' Science Fiction.
The idea tossed around in the thread this was discussed in was to use Nebula-Hugo winners, or other list methods of having books to nominate. Mark monday has graciously agrees to compile a list, but for our first 'classics' read, we will nominate off the Gollanz Sci-Fi Masterworks list.

Hopefully this will bring an even greater level of enjoyment to our classic reads!

The list can be found here:
https://www.worldswithoutend.com/list...

message 2: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 1275 comments Mod
thanks Maggie! i'll get that list up eventually for the February read.

message 3: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

Maggie K | 1282 comments Mod
no worries, Mark. THis list has so many good ones in the meantime...lol

message 4: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments I love how they list it by the book covers. Very pretty.

message 5: by Sffgeek (new)

Sffgeek It is worth mentioning that of the 14 novels that won both Hugo and Nebula up to 1990 (which seems to be the Masterworks cut-off date), only 7 appear as Masterworks.
Of 28 that won only one of the awards, just 11 are Masterworks.
So by limiting ourselves to Masterworks we are losing the chance of about half of the best SF. But that is still a lot to go at...

(BTW Mark, I have an Excel spreadsheet I've compiled with this info on, if you need any help.)

message 6: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 1275 comments Mod
very good point Sffgeek. starting in February, we will be expanding the list of potential nominees to include all Hugo & Nebula winners (in addition to the Masterworks).

and if you don't mind - i would love that info! if you don't mind sharing that excel spreadsheet, message me and i'll send you my email address. if you do mind... no worries.