message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2547 comments Mod
Story synopsis:

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
You Know They Got A Hell of a Band

I love this story. (view spoiler)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Actually Chris I think it was generational thing or in any case it depended on the guy. My own dad was the kind of guy who hated to ask for directions and often got us lost trying to follow his own idea of the right path.

I agree it was fun trying to sort out who would come up next. I love Joplin did your mom ever talk to her when they were in school? Miss Cobain, Staley and Pete :( I really got to wondering if Dio was immortal with how many things he managed in his lifetime. It was sad to hear he'd passed.

message 4: by Felina (new)

Felina (view spoiler)

Jaime (jaimehobbes) | 104 comments Another favorite from the collection. A fun, entertaining story. Plus-great musician cameos!

message 6: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amanda - my mom knew her but not very well. I guess Janis's parents and mom's parents were neighbors at one time, so they were friendly though not close.

She said that Janis was pretty introverted, keeping to herself all the time. Just sitting in the corner playing at her guitar...

Jena (outlanderfan74) One of my favorite Stephen King-isms is his ability to weave pop culture into his stories, so this was one of my favorites from the collection. I'd like to imagine Rock and Roll Heaven as a nicer place, but this goolish version was awesome, and I thought of the story for weeks afterwords every time I turned on the radio.

message 8: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel wrote: "One of my favorite Stephen King-isms is his ability to weave pop culture into his stories, ..."

^This. Definitely.

message 9: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2547 comments Mod
It's been a few years since I have read this book... but this is one of the stories that stuck with me. Some of the stories I had to go back and see what they were even about but this one was good and unforgettable!

message 10: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Wowra (fynreader) It made me sad.

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 50 comments I really dig this story, too. I think it's in N&D where King compares writing to the blues, and it "not being the chords you play but the soul you play them with" or something. This is another of King's favorite tropes, the unsuspecting city couple or family coming into a town of they-know-not-what-horror("Children of the Corn", "Rainy Season", "One for the Road") and another one where if you hear it described it doesn't sound like it can work but when you read it...

King manages to make the familiarity of the ghouls part of what makes them scary. Good stuff.

Derrick | 592 comments Sit and watch a badass concert for all eternity? What's the problem?

message 13: by R.S. (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.S. Merritt | 4 comments This is one of those stories that sticks with you. Kind of like the mist.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael T Roch | 377 comments Derrick wrote: "Sit and watch a badass concert for all eternity? What's the problem?"

The first night will be awesome.
The next night will be great.
The third night will be pretty good.
The fourth night will be OK.
The fifth night will be meh.
Pretty soon, we'll he hatin' that same concert, over and over again.

message 15: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (dan2345) | 169 comments That is my favorite story in that book.

Erin  | 82 comments Mine too Dan!

Derrick | 592 comments It is a really cool story. All the stories in N&D are pretty good.

Erin  | 82 comments This story is one of my favorite short stories period. So creepy.